The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=193711)

FrontierTrek November 11 2012 11:33 AM

Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
TrekCore will be interviewing people involved with the upcoming book "Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years" including the Designer (Rosanna), Editor (Dana) and author David Goodman.

I'd love to open it up publicly, so if you have any questions please post them here and I'll do my best to include as many as possible in the interview!

Thanks!

King Daniel Into Darkness November 11 2012 11:54 AM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
My question: Will the book be covering the USS Kelvin era seen at the beginning of the last movie?

And of so, will there be anything about why Starfleet capital ships shrank between the Kelvin era (457m, 800+ crew) and the time of the TOS Enterprise (289m, 400+ crew)?

DS9forever November 11 2012 06:15 PM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Isn't this original timeline though? Surely that precludes the Kelvin from being mentioned/seen?

King Daniel Into Darkness November 11 2012 06:36 PM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
The timelines split when the Narada appeared from the future. Only past that point is the STXI+ timeline different from ENT/TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY. Therefore, the USS Kelvin existed in both histories - only in TOS it wasn't diverted to the Klingon border to investigate the "lightning storm in space", no crazed Romulans appeared etc etc.

Plaristes November 11 2012 10:16 PM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Kzinti?

Saul November 12 2012 05:30 AM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Will there be mentions of Star Trek novels in this or is it based on your own ideas from watching 'Enterprise' and 'Star Trek'? Will it bridge the gap between the two shows and explain some of the inconsistencies. Why the high price?

Therin of Andor November 12 2012 07:14 AM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Quote:

Saul wrote: (Post 7242640)
Why the high price?

Have you seen what it looks like?
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Fede...t+150+Years%22

Quote:

"Assembled as a Special Exhibit on Memory Alpha, Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years celebrates the 150th anniversary of the founding of the United Federation of Planets.

"This unprecedented illustrated volume chronicles the pivotal era leading up to Humankind's First Contact with Vulcan in 2063, the Romulan War in 2156, the creation of the Federation in 2161, and the first 150 years of the intergalactic democracy up until the year 2311. Meticulously researched, this account covers a multitude of alien species, decisive battles, and the technology that made the Age of Exploration possible. It includes field sketches, illustrations, and reproductions of historic pieces of art from across the Galaxy, along with over fifty excerpts from key Federation documents and correspondence, Starfleet records, and intergalactic intelligence.

"Housed in a pedestal display complete with lights and an audio introduction by Admiral Hikaru Sulu, this deluxe edition also features five removable documents from the Federation Archives, including Zefram Cochrane's early sketch of the warp-drive engine, a handwritten letter from young Jim Kirk, and the first-known diagram of a Trill symbiont."
Sounds like we are getting our money's worth.

Admiral_Young November 12 2012 07:48 AM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Yeah. It is about the same price as the Jedi Path and Sith books (vault editions) were when they both came out. Well worth the price for what we're getting in my opinion.

Saul November 13 2012 04:19 PM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 7242880)
Quote:

Saul wrote: (Post 7242640)
Why the high price?

Have you seen what it looks like?

Yes.

Quote:

"Assembled as a Special Exhibit on Memory Alpha, Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years celebrates the 150th anniversary of the founding of the United Federation of Planets.

"This unprecedented illustrated volume chronicles the pivotal era leading up to Humankind's First Contact with Vulcan in 2063, the Romulan War in 2156, the creation of the Federation in 2161, and the first 150 years of the intergalactic democracy up until the year 2311. Meticulously researched, this account covers a multitude of alien species, decisive battles, and the technology that made the Age of Exploration possible. It includes field sketches, illustrations, and reproductions of historic pieces of art from across the Galaxy, along with over fifty excerpts from key Federation documents and correspondence, Starfleet records, and intergalactic intelligence.

"Housed in a pedestal display complete with lights and an audio introduction by Admiral Hikaru Sulu, this deluxe edition also features five removable documents from the Federation Archives, including Zefram Cochrane's early sketch of the warp-drive engine, a handwritten letter from young Jim Kirk, and the first-known diagram of a Trill symbiont."
Quote:

Sounds like we are getting our money's worth.
Not if one didn't want the pedestal display with lights and audio introduction. Just the book alone is what I was after.

Therin of Andor November 14 2012 01:20 PM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Quote:

Saul wrote: (Post 7249600)
Not if one didn't want the pedestal display with lights and audio introduction. Just the book alone is what I was after.

Then sell your pedestal display on eBay. It's likely to sell for the price you will pay for the whole thing. :vulcan:

Admiral_Young November 14 2012 02:57 PM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
It's possible that they will release the book by its self at a later time, just as they did with the Jedi Path and it appears with the Book of Sith.

Therin of Andor November 14 2012 03:03 PM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 7254499)
It's possible that they will release the book by its self at a later time, just as they did with the Jedi Path and it appears with the Book of Sith.

It's also likely that the price will plummet after a few months of release. Amazon is already offering a very generous discount for pre-orders. $51.82 instead of the $99.99 RRP. Considering I used to pay over $40 each for hardcover ST novels to come Down Under, many years ago, this seems very reasonable to me.

I'm happy to support the book at full price, if necessary, since that helps the publisher's confidence for creating future releases.

Admiral_Young November 14 2012 04:20 PM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Indeed. So it if one isn't able to spend the cash now for this, they can always wait. I understand since I'm doing the same for The Book of Sith which is listed on Amazon Canada next year for $16 bucks or something like that.

JWolf November 15 2012 04:03 AM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Question to submit....

Why is it not compatible with the novel-verse?

Christopher November 15 2012 04:15 AM

Re: Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions
 
Quote:

JWolf wrote: (Post 7257877)
Question to submit....

Why is it not compatible with the novel-verse?

Of course that's for the author to answer, but really, why would it be? David A. Goodman actually worked on Enterprise, a consulting producer and writer in seasons 2-3. He was one of the creators of canonical Trek (not to mention the writer of Futurama's Trek tribute "Where No Fan Has Gone Before"). Why should he have to follow the lead of freelancers writing non-canonical tie-ins?

There's also the logistical difficulty of getting different companies to coordinate their tie-ins, which is why, for the most part, Pocket, IDW, and Star Trek Online maintain separate continuities. Since this book is from yet another publisher, it really shouldn't be surprising that it takes its own path.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.