The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   It's official! Neil Gaiman episode to feature...(spoilers) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=193369)

Emh November 7 2012 12:10 PM

It's official! Neil Gaiman episode to feature...(spoilers)

Last warning...

Cybermen!

BBC Link

Quote:

The Doctor will come face-to-face with some old enemies…

We can confirm that the Cybermen will be menacing the universe once again when Doctor Who returns for a run of eight epic episodes in spring, 2013.The iconic enemies will feature in an adventure directed by Stephen Woolfenden and written by the acclaimed Neil Gaiman whose previous episode was the Hugo Award-winning, The Doctor’s Wife.

Starring Matt Smith as the Doctor and Jenna-Louise Coleman as the new companion, the episode co-stars Warwick Davis (Life’s Too Short and Harry Potter), Tamzin Outhwaite (EastEnders and Hotel Babylon) and Jason Watkins (Being Human and Lark Rise to Candleford) as a band of misfits on a mysterious planet…
Between this and Matt Smith's recent comment, promising this will be a fan favorite, colored me super excited! Hopefully Gaiman will finally make the Cybermen interesting again! :D

The Wormhole November 7 2012 02:23 PM

Re: It's official! Neil Gaiman episode to feature...(spoilers)

Awesome! Also, note that at the end of the article they say the second half of the season starts in "spring 2013." So I guess after the Christmas special we'll have to wait for the traditional Easter premiere? Good thing Easter 2013 is in March.

HappyDayRiot November 7 2012 09:13 PM

Jason Watkins? Cybermen?

Excellent!

Ood Sigma November 7 2012 10:00 PM

Anyone else find the phrase "Jenna-Louise Coleman as the new companion" (emphasis mine) sort of odd? Not giving a name to the character may lend credence to the rumors that she may be playing multiple different characters throughout the series.

Ar-Pharazon November 7 2012 11:37 PM

Warwick Davis, also from Willow?

Professor Zoom November 8 2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Ar-Pharazon wrote: (Post 7223050)
Warwick Davis, also from Willow?

And that small movie, what was it called something like Returns of the Jedis or something. Don't remember.

Cutter John November 8 2012 01:13 AM

Sounds promising. I hope it means we'll end up with something more along the lines of Big Finish's creepy "Spare Parts", and less marching robots.

Mitty November 8 2012 01:16 AM

Yep, the fact Coleman doesn't yet have a name obviously means something's up. Almost certainly somehow she will be related to Oswin.

I'd bet my house that the Doctor will work out somethings up when she mentions souffle. I'll be dreadfully dissapointed if that's not how he works out it's actually the same person, perhaps split over multiple time periods like Scarlioni in "City of Death".

Sindatur November 8 2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Cutter John wrote: (Post 7223581)
Sounds promising. I hope it means we'll end up with something more along the lines of Big Finish's creepy "Spare Parts", and less marching robots.

Ooh, cloth-faced Cybermen, creepiest ones ever. I rolled my eyes at first glance, but, 2 minutes into the first appearance of them, and I was sold. And then recently listening to Spare Parts and being treated to them being the Cloth-Faced ones, just added to the creepiness of the Audioplay.

I wonder if Today's audience would "Get" the Cloth-Faced Cybermen or only roll their eyes?

Saga November 8 2012 10:37 AM

man, i've been wanting a proper Cybermen story for ages. cameos and team ups with goofy sidekicks just don't cut it.

Admiral_Young November 8 2012 11:38 AM

Looks like Gaiman's script was found in the back of a cab.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/...back-of-a-cab/

If you click on the reddit link provided, there is actually an effort to return the script and exchanges with Gaiman on twitter about it.

Peacemaker November 8 2012 05:08 PM

Set Report from GB: From Timeboy;
"BRAND NEW CYBERMEN! Very similar to the Cybus ones, but they have tighter armour and Tomb of the Cybermen-like faces!!!! Really shiny"

"The armour is like slim-fitted rubber, similar to the new Sontarans, but silver. Guns fixed on arms, and the leader has an extra gun"

"They're walking softly, slowly, and quietly, like the Hartnell/Troughton era Cybermen"

davejames November 8 2012 08:46 PM

Awesome news. As much as I like the current Cybermen design, the constant stomping around DID get awfully annoying after awhile.

The Wormhole November 8 2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 7225270)
Looks like Gaiman's script was found in the back of a cab.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/...back-of-a-cab/

If you click on the reddit link provided, there is actually an effort to return the script and exchanges with Gaiman on twitter about it.

[DALEK VOICE]SPOILERS! WE DEMAND SPOILERS![/DALEK VOICE]

It seems the title is The Last Cyberman, fascinating.

zarkon November 9 2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Peacemaker wrote: (Post 7226077)
Set Report from GB: From Timeboy;
"BRAND NEW CYBERMEN! Very similar to the Cybus ones, but they have tighter armour and Tomb of the Cybermen-like faces!!!! Really shiny"

"The armour is like slim-fitted rubber, similar to the new Sontarans, but silver. Guns fixed on arms, and the leader has an extra gun"

"They're walking softly, slowly, and quietly, like the Hartnell/Troughton era Cybermen"

Brilliant news.

Now if they can just change the voices...