The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Tech (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can a warp field be engaged while sitting still? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=192943)

Draculasaurus November 3 2012 03:12 PM

Can a warp field be engaged while sitting still?

Can a motionless ship engage its warp field?
-and if so, wouldn't warping space around a ship be far more effective protection than shields.
Why don't they ever try this in Trek?

http://www.drawzit.com/pictures/drawing-21940.jpg

Christopher November 3 2012 03:19 PM

Re: Can a warp field be engaged while sitting still?

Supposedly, according to the TNG Technical Manual, shields are a distortion of space. That's really the only way they could deflect radiation and projectiles.

Elias Vaughn November 3 2012 04:01 PM

I always thought this is what the 'static warp shell' from All Good Things was supposed to be.

blssdwlf November 3 2012 06:26 PM

Well since there navigation deflectors work through warp fields and phasers, disruptors and torpedoes don't appear to be negatively affected by warp fields it would appear that a warp field doesn't give them the same kind of protection that full shields would...

Angry Fanboy November 3 2012 11:00 PM

Angry Fanboy

Loving the 'diagram'! :lol:

T'Girl November 4 2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Elias Vaughn wrote: (Post 7197139)
I always thought this is what the 'static warp shell' from All Good Things was supposed to be.

And in Remember Me, wasn't Wesley working with a static warp bubble?

:)

Crazy Eddie November 5 2012 08:19 PM

Back in the days of TMP and early TNG, there was a distinction between "shields" and "deflectors." Shields were a forcefield that covered the hull of your ship and prevented radiation and destructive energy from touching it, while deflectors were a type of warp field that could propel massive objects -- asteroids, projectiles, etc -- away from your ship before they hit you. Over the years, the two concepts have been conflated as being the same thing, but the technical justification makes sense: if you can use your engines to propel yourself at FTL velocities, you should be able to propel your enemy's missiles and torpedoes away too.

Tiberius November 6 2012 12:58 AM

Re: Angry Fanboy

Quote:

Angry Fanboy wrote: (Post 7198594)
Loving the 'diagram'! :lol:

Me too! That's awesome!

Captain_Amasov November 6 2012 06:58 PM

In Voyager the crew engaged the warp drive while stationary a couple of times; notably in Learning Curve and Fair Haven.

In the latter they used it to make an inverse warp field, due to an incoming neutronic storm, which was apparently analogous to dropping anchor.

Crazy Eddie November 6 2012 07:33 PM

^ Thank you for that brief reminder of why I detest Voyager.

Tiberius November 7 2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

newtype_alpha wrote: (Post 7213348)
^ Thank you for that brief reminder of why I detest Voyager.

No offence, but that's a pretty weak reason to detest Voyager. It's about the stories, not the technobabble.

Crazy Eddie November 7 2012 04:12 AM

I agree. And the overdependence on technobabble is what made Voyager's storylines so incredibly lame. It's something I suspect even the writers themselves had become aware of when they sat down and wrote "Basics."

KamenRiderBlade November 7 2012 04:37 AM

Why is it when Fringe uses all source of advance science terms, I'm ok with it, yet when Voyager does it, it feels like they don't even have a proper scientist proof read what they write.

Timo November 7 2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

In the latter they used it to make an inverse warp field, due to an incoming neutronic storm, which was apparently analogous to dropping anchor.
Subspace anchors are a technology that appears inherent in the structure of Star Trek. There exists an asymmetry of (sublight) propulsion: it takes power and time to accelerate, but no power and/or time to decelerate, which shouldn't happen in Newtonian-Einsteinian conditions where both efforts would be mirror images of each other. The ability to drop a drag anchor in subspace, a putative static frame of reference underlying all space, would perfectly explain the asymmetry.

The one thing dubious about "Fair Haven" is that they have to "convert" the warp core to achieve good anchorage. Perhaps adequate anchoring is typically achieved by the subspace components of the impulse engines, and using warp fields for the task is normally considered overkill?

Timo Saloniemi

blssdwlf November 8 2012 02:41 AM

The instances where we know of that takes time to accelerate, is that because the ship is still building up power? Reason I ask is because in the instances where power is immediately available (like a warp engine implosion, or emergency reserve power prepped) there is no additional acceleration to get to max speed.