The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Purple uniforms? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=192352)

Mr. Laser Beam October 27 2012 11:43 PM

Purple uniforms?
 
Of course we all know that the colored stripes on the shoulders of all ENT uniforms are intended to be a tribute to the TOS uniform colors.

Assuming this is the case: why, in ENT, is there no red?

There's the greenish/gold of command, and science blue, both the same colors as used in TOS. However, in ENT, engineers and tactical officers have PURPLE stripes on their uniforms (as can clearly be seen with Trip and Malcolm), not red. Why did they do that? :confused:

Sheridan October 27 2012 11:49 PM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
It doesn't look purple to me. It's not completely red either. It's in between purple and red. Not sure what the official name of that color would be. Maroon perhaps?

Pavonis October 27 2012 11:50 PM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
Purple? It always looked red to me. Have you checked your TV's color settings?

teacake October 27 2012 11:57 PM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
Looks like magenta to me.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8335/8...c4a337d9_m.jpg

And to answer your question MLB, it's that colour because it brings out the beauty of their eyes.

6079SmithW October 28 2012 12:10 AM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
It always looked red to me. :confused: I guess the lighting can make it look purple and they aren't using a "true" red.

C.E. Evans October 28 2012 12:22 AM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
I always thought it looked more wine colored. But I also think the division stripes for sciences personnel are more teal than blue, IMO.

Therin of Andor October 28 2012 12:24 AM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7165699)
Assuming this is the case: why, in ENT, is there no red?

Trick of the studio lights. The stripes photograph differently on the sets, depending on reflections.

For TNG, they deliberately colour-shifted all three designations. Red to a wine/cherry (since the movies were now using a similar tone for their uniform jackets), blue to a teal and gold to a mustard. Check out the "Enterprise" action figures: they used a red paint for the engineering stripes, not purple.

One reason for the avoidance of a straight blue dates back to TMP, to avoid it being the same blue as an original SPFX bluescreen of the late 70s. For TMP, sciences division was broken into two colours: orange for science and mint green for medical.

sojourner October 28 2012 02:07 AM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
Also, with the rest of the uniform a dark blue, it's gonna trick the eyes into seeing the red as more of a purple.

R. Star October 28 2012 03:37 AM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
It looked red enough to me. There's enough things to fault about Enterprise that nitpicking this is redundant at best.

teacake October 28 2012 05:57 AM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 7165870)
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7165699)
Assuming this is the case: why, in ENT, is there no red?

Trick of the studio lights. The stripes photograph differently on the sets, depending on reflections.

For TNG, they deliberately colour-shifted all three designations. Red to a wine/cherry (since the movies were now using a similar tone for their uniform jackets), blue to a teal and gold to a mustard. Check out the "Enterprise" action figures: they used a red paint for the engineering stripes, not purple.

One reason for the avoidance of a straight blue dates back to TMP, to avoid it being the same blue as an original SPFX bluescreen of the late 70s. For TMP, sciences division was broken into two colours: orange for science and mint green for medical.

So when you say "trick of the lights" were they actually red on the uniforms?

Finn October 28 2012 06:21 AM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
Here's one of Trip from Strange New World, with natural light. No overexposure from the sun and not too shady. Looks wine red to me

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/a...genewworld.jpg

teacake October 28 2012 07:44 AM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
Who wants to see Tucker in a skant?

I'm just in the mood for that right now.

Mach5 October 28 2012 12:08 PM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
Apart from the division colour, It seems the jumpsuits have been changed in Season 4, from purple-ish dark blue, to brighter blue. I always thought they looked different because of some change in studio lighting and the switch from film to digital, but...

http://i.imgur.com/C0K40.jpg

They really are different, aren't they?

Mr. Laser Beam October 28 2012 06:02 PM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
^ The one on the right has the nametag on it, suggesting it's from TATV. Did they alter the unis for just that episode? (It could also be that the laundry simply washed the color out and made it look faded, like on some of the blue TNG unis)

Also: In those pics of Trip, the stripes still look purple. :p

Mach5 October 28 2012 07:02 PM

Re: Purple uniforms?
 
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7168597)
^ The one on the right has the nametag on it, suggesting it's from TATV. Did they alter the unis for just that episode? (It could also be that the laundry simply washed the color out and made it look faded, like on some of the blue TNG unis)

It is from TATV, but all S4 uniforms seem to be the same shade of blue.

Here's some examples:

Borderland

http://i.imgur.com/uSUzQ.jpg


Cold Station 12

http://i.imgur.com/1Az9N.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mulKT.jpg


Babel One

http://i.imgur.com/GPg5E.jpg

It could be the lighting after all, but the difference in colour is evident.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.