The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   "Then this'll be your big chance to get away from it all." (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=192100)

Arpy October 25 2012 03:31 AM

"Then this'll be your big chance to get away from it all."

Kirk's line from TWOK. His other one when he cut short his inspection of the ship and mouthed the word "later" too: these sound like tag lines for ads in commercials or something. Were these jokes from the popular culture outside Trek at the time?

sbk1234 October 25 2012 03:51 AM

Re: "Then this'll be your big chance to get away from it all."

The first one, "a chance to get away from it all" is just an old expression. I don't remember it, or the other one being from any comercial or being a buzz phrase of the time.

Valin November 8 2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

sbk1234 wrote: (Post 7153600)
The first one, "a chance to get away from it all" is just an old expression. I don't remember it, or the other one being from any comercial or being a buzz phrase of the time.

People still use that expression all the time (in the US anyway).

RoJoHen November 8 2012 11:28 AM

I don't see how either of these things would have anything to do with pop culture. They're just expressions.

Timewalker November 9 2012 03:31 AM

"Get away from it all" is an expression that's been around for many decades. It inspired a fanspeak term: "GAFIATE" (verb) - to Get Away From It All - to leave fandom, either temporarily or permanently. Somebody wrote a filk song about it (I can only remember the chorus).

Captrek November 21 2012 03:43 AM

Actually I do recall “This’ll be your big chance to get away from it all” being used in a TV commercial for an upcoming broadcast of the movie. Funny how it stuck with me all these years.

Minuet November 21 2012 09:30 AM

God knows McCoy needs to get away from it all throughout his lifetime. He always practically seems on the brink of a nervous breakdown. That guy deserves a vacation that doesn't get interrupted. Case in point: The Final Frontier, I mean, let the guy eat his beans and whiskey in peace before he completely snaps!

Ziz November 21 2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Arpy wrote: (Post 7153519)
Kirk's line from TWOK. His other one when he cut short his inspection of the ship and mouthed the word "later" too

Look closer. He says "Let it go", as in "forget about it".