The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   The Borg in JJverse (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=191533)

los2188 October 18 2012 11:44 PM

The Borg in JJverse

I happened to be looking at some old Star Trek trailers and I came upon one of my favourite trailers First Contact and it made me to start thinking, which is a very dangerous thing of course. ;) I would agree with most everyone, presumably, that the Borg has been used way too much in TNG/Voyager era, but......but...can any of you see the Borg being used in any way in the JJ-Verse? I mean would there be an appropriate or good way to use them that wouldn't be boring or seen as just over used? If so...how would you bring them back??

F. King Daniel October 18 2012 11:59 PM

Re: The Borg in JJverse

A very different kind of Borg (although never referred to by name, as in ENT: "Regeneration") already appeared in the prequel novel Starfleet Academy: The Delta Anomaly. It was some kind of advanced scout hiding out in San Fransisco, and made some very interesting use of it's nanotechnology.

As for bringing the Borg back to film, I'd love to see what CG and a big budget could do. No longer would the Borg be guys in rubber suits and make-up, but using CG, body parts could be replaced or removed. Imagine a Borg drone without a bottom jaw, with moving machinery inside his torso, stick thin atrophied limbs skewered with machine parts. Steampunk zombies.

As for why they would be interested in the Alpha Quadrant "early".... maybe long-range Borg sensors detected the temporal distortions upon Nero or Spock's arrivals. Or maybe Narada's Borg-derived technology (see: Countdown) sent out a homing signal. Any excuse could be made, or extrapolated by fans.

teacock October 19 2012 12:06 AM

In the past I've said enough already, lets have something new. But thinking on it the Borg are one of my favorite villains, I never got bored with them like I did the Klingons. kingDaniel's point about looking better (and scarier) is a good one. I'd like to see them again.

Dream October 19 2012 12:10 AM

I'm done with the Borg. Way too overused.

I'll still enjoy the early episodes they were in, but I sure as hell won't pay to see a movie with them again.

teacock October 19 2012 12:12 AM

I still get the chills when a cube appears and we hear their announcement.

Geoff Peterson October 19 2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

teacock wrote: (Post 7125370)

"All your base are belong to us"?

teacock October 19 2012 02:31 AM

:: slaps the cheerleader ::

No assimilation for YOU!

Dream October 19 2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

teacock wrote: (Post 7126408)
:: slaps the cheerleader ::

No assimilation for YOU!

I don't think zombies can be assimilated! :p

teacock October 19 2012 02:34 AM

Oh I'm sure they have a few spare parts worth stashing away.

Geoff Peterson October 19 2012 02:37 AM

As a zombie I'm halfway to being a Borg anyway.

T'Girl October 19 2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

teacock wrote: (Post 7125370)

Hello, we're from Amway, do you have a few minutes?

:)

DonIago October 19 2012 04:19 AM

I'd both be curious to see a portrayal of the Borg in the alternate timeline and dread it.

Above all I feel we'd need a compelling reason for their appearance, and I'm hard-pressed to imagine what that would be.

teacock October 19 2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

DonIago wrote: (Post 7126816)
Above all I feel we'd need a compelling reason for their appearance, and I'm hard-pressed to imagine what that would be.

And there's the rub.

Hopefully everything has a compelling reason and doesn't just get shoehorned into NuTrek.

Temis the Vorta October 19 2012 06:33 PM

If they're going to bring back the Borg, they need to be treated with respect. If they're supposed to be so fearsome, the writing needs to validate that idea, not undercut it.

Starfleet cannot be allowed to beat them except under very unusual circumstances, ie, the writers come up with a way for Starfleet to be astonishingly clever about it. And even then, this should happen rarely.

And assimilation is P E R M A M E N T. No more go-backs, no wiggle room. Allowing characters to be de-Borged just because they are main characters really undercuts the Borg's credibility.

And NO QUEEN!

Yeah that just about covers it.

Dream October 19 2012 06:37 PM

I always saw the Borg as being so dangerous that every single species in the galaxy needed unite in order defeat them once and for all. Too bad TNG and VOY never really did any kind of story like that.