The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=191083)

Ian Keldon October 14 2012 04:02 PM

How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
I was watching a documentary about the warcrimes and atrocities of the regular (that is, non SS) divisions of the Wehrmacht in World War II and it just hit me. These are the same type of people that would have made up the Imperial Army in the Star Wars universe. Fanatical, genocidal fascists who enslaved entire worlds, destroyed entire races at the command of their evil Sith Emperor.

The Nazi version of Stormtroopers (the SS) were the worst of the whole evil organization. They were responsible for, among other atrocities, the operation of the death camps.

So why would any person with a functioning soul want to be a fan of the Star Wars universe equivalent? The organized SW Imperial fandom, the 501st, explicitly takes it's name from the most infamous of all stormtrooper divisions, being the one that prosecuted the genocide against the Jedi.

It makes me sick in the heart now to see stormtrooper fans parading around in their SW Nazi uniforms and acting like there's nothing wrong with it.

In real life, if someone wanted to start a fanclub for the
SS-Totenkopfverbände (the "Death's Head" Division, responsible for carrying out the Final Solution), we'd call them at best ignorant.

Next time you see one of these fools at a con, ask them if they really understand the statement they are making by parading around as Space Nazis.

USS Mariner October 14 2012 04:16 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
Quote:

Ian Keldon wrote: (Post 7101982)
I was watching a documentary about the warcrimes and atrocities of the regular (that is, non SS) divisions of the Wehrmacht in World War II and it just hit me. These are the same type of people that would have made up the Imperial Army in the Star Wars universe. Fanatical, genocidal fascists who enslaved entire worlds, destroyed entire races at the command of their evil Sith Emperor.

The Nazi version of Stormtroopers (the SS) were the worst of the whole evil organization. They were responsible for, among other atrocities, the operation of the death camps.

So why would any person with a functioning soul want to be a fan of the Star Wars universe equivalent? The organized SW Imperial fandom, the 501st, explicitly takes it's name from the most infamous of all stormtrooper divisions, being the one that prosecuted the genocide against the Jedi.

It makes me sick in the heart now to see stormtrooper fans parading around in their SW Nazi uniforms and acting like there's nothing wrong with it.

In real life, if someone wanted to start a fanclub for the
SS-Totenkopfverbände (the "Death's Head" Division, responsible for carrying out the Final Solution), we'd call them at best ignorant.

Next time you see one of these fools at a con, ask them if they really understand the statement they are making by parading around as Space Nazis.

1. IT'S STAR WARS

2. People (including myself) portray the Confederacy in reenactments/living history events in the US to educate the public, who are guilty of very similar war crimes, but do so out of respect for all involved. I do admit that in Southwestern PA, most of them agree with their side, or have a severely warped version of it.

the G-man October 14 2012 04:20 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
Quote:

USS Mariner wrote: (Post 7102024)

1. IT'S STAR WARS

Exactly. It's a fantasy universe. The OP might as well be taking people to task for dressing up as Darth Vader or any other fictional villain.

Yoda October 14 2012 04:30 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
The stormtroopers have cool outfits, just like the Nazis. If you want people to be fans of the good guys, give them better uniforms.

CorporalCaptain October 14 2012 04:39 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
Quote:

the G-man wrote: (Post 7102042)
It's a fantasy universe. The OP might as well be taking people to task for dressing up as Darth Vader or any other fictional villain.

Ditto.

The OP makes no sense.

Sindatur October 14 2012 04:40 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
Eh, people go to Cons dressed as Daleks,Cybermen, The Master, Darth Vader, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians. Why is a Storm Trooper any different?

doubleohfive October 14 2012 04:44 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
Quote:

Ian Keldon wrote: (Post 7101982)
I was watching a documentary about the warcrimes and atrocities of the regular (that is, non SS) divisions of the Wehrmacht in World War II and it just hit me. These are the same type of people that would have made up the Imperial Army in the Star Wars universe. Fanatical, genocidal fascists who enslaved entire worlds, destroyed entire races at the command of their evil Sith Emperor.

The Nazi version of Stormtroopers (the SS) were the worst of the whole evil organization. They were responsible for, among other atrocities, the operation of the death camps.

So why would any person with a functioning soul want to be a fan of the Star Wars universe equivalent? The organized SW Imperial fandom, the 501st, explicitly takes it's name from the most infamous of all stormtrooper divisions, being the one that prosecuted the genocide against the Jedi.

It makes me sick in the heart now to see stormtrooper fans parading around in their SW Nazi uniforms and acting like there's nothing wrong with it.

In real life, if someone wanted to start a fanclub for the
SS-Totenkopfverbände (the "Death's Head" Division, responsible for carrying out the Final Solution), we'd call them at best ignorant.

Next time you see one of these fools at a con, ask them if they really understand the statement they are making by parading around as Space Nazis.

:brickwall:

This is easily the most ignorant thing I've read in my eleven years posting on this board... and that's saying something.


Quote:

Conscious Circuits wrote: (Post 7102114)
Quote:

the G-man wrote: (Post 7102042)
It's a fantasy universe. The OP might as well be taking people to task for dressing up as Darth Vader or any other fictional villain.

Ditto.

The OP makes no sense.

x2

SG-17 October 14 2012 04:48 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
Quote:

Yoda wrote: (Post 7102069)
The stormtroopers have cool outfits, just like the Nazis. If you want people to be fans of the good guys, give them better uniforms.

The Nazis were the best dressed group of people in history.

Hugo Boss was the boss.

trekkiebaggio October 14 2012 04:49 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
I have a stormtrooper Mr. Potato Head. Does that make me evil?

cooleddie74 October 14 2012 05:06 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
Quote:

trekkiebaggio wrote: (Post 7102174)
I have a stormtrooper Mr. Potato Head. Does that make me evil?

No. That makes you frickin' awesome.

sidious618 October 14 2012 05:14 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
My screen name on here is usually sidious618 so if we follow the OP's logic I am clearly a huge supporter of Hitler since Sidious is the leader of the Stormtroopers.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go grow a one inch mustache.

cooleddie74 October 14 2012 05:22 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
Everyone be nice to sidious or he'll zap you with the lightning bolts he can shoot from his fingertips. He's an evil bastard who eats kittens.

JarodRussell October 14 2012 05:28 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
This thread must be a Godwin singularity.

Either you are trolling or have serious problems with separating reality from fiction.



And then, maybe those guys don't dress up as Stormtroopers. They dress up as Han Solo and Luke Skywalker pretending to be Stormtroopers. How about that?

MacLeod October 14 2012 05:50 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
And I thought SW was fantasy. Most peopel can differenitate between the fantasy stormtroppers of the SW universe and the Nazi S.S.

Temis the Vorta October 14 2012 05:55 PM

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?
 
The only thing I hate about the Stormtroopers is the thought that they're all clones. I'm much happier with the notion that by the time of ANH, they were all just hapless recruits from various parts of the galaxy.

I never thought of them as evil so much as just clueless, or maybe they needed the paycheck, ever think of that?!? Even Luke talked about applying to the Imperial Academy, it being the only game in town.

And people who give themselves usernames based on science fiction villains are clearly depraved and should be banned.

;)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.