The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "Captain Power" to return as "Phoenix Rising" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=190861)

Ian Keldon October 11 2012 10:54 PM

"Captain Power" to return as "Phoenix Rising"

This would be mega cool if they can pull it off.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58689

Captain Power, for those of you not old enough to remember it, was a late 80s half-hour live action sci-fi show written for the YA audience. You could buy toys that interacted with the tv show while you watched it.

The toys were crap, the show was too expensive for the studio and considered too dark by parents, so it only got one season.

Nontheless, it has a good cult following due in large part to it's strong, character-driven writing. Many of the scripts were written by J Michael Straczinsky (later of B5 fame) himself.

The reboot project is being helmed in part by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, who (along with Many Coto) almost managed to save Enterprise, and are considered strong writers and showrunners.

I really hope they can pull this off, as it would be a blast to see CP done with todays special FX... :D

More on Captain Power here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain..._of_the_Future

Admiral2 October 12 2012 12:23 AM

Re: "Captain Power" to return as "Phoenix Rising"

Honestly, I only watched that show back then to see the boobs molded into Jessica Steen's armor. I didn't find the show itself that impressive.

Kegg October 12 2012 12:28 AM

I've heard of this show mostly because it was something JMS had worked on in the past. Scanning the wikipedia page, I note other future B5 hands - Doug Netter, Larry DiTillio... even Marc Scott "I have a kickstarter project now" Zicree.

I like the Reeves-Stevens (who doesn't?) and Manny Coto well enough, but I'd wait to see what this new show actually looks like before venturing any hopeful opinions.

Owain Taggart October 12 2012 12:40 AM

Eh, the show wasn't that great. You could tell it was mostly a vehicle to sell toys. I wonder if they'll bring back the toys too?

Ian Keldon October 12 2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Kegg wrote: (Post 7090480)
I've heard of this show mostly because it was something JMS had worked on in the past. Scanning the wikipedia page, I note other future B5 hands - Doug Netter, Larry DiTillio... even Marc Scott "I have a kickstarter project now" Zicree.

I like the Reeves-Stevens (who doesn't?) and Manny Coto well enough, but I'd wait to see what this new show actually looks like before venturing any hopeful opinions.

Just to clarify: I didn't mean to imply that Coto was involved with Phoenix Rising, only that he had collaborated with the Reeves-Stevenses on Enterprise.

Nerys Myk October 12 2012 12:53 AM

I've no recollection of this show. Of course at the time I didn't pay much attention to kid's shows, even those with a SF angle.

Ian Keldon October 12 2012 12:55 AM

^Get it on DVD if you can, from the library if you don't want to risk money on it.

It's VERY adult in many aspects, including major character death, which simply wasn't done on youth programming back then.

JD October 12 2012 01:28 AM

I've never heard of this before, but it looks like it could be pretty cool. I'm gonna have to check out the original version sometime. The fact that the Reeves-Steven couple is involved gives me hope that the reboot could be good.

Christopher October 12 2012 04:30 AM

I mainly remember Captain Power for the cast, which included Tim Dunigan (the original Faceman in the A-Team pilot, replaced by Dirk Benedict), Jessica Steen (the original Dr. Elizabeth Weir in Stargate, replaced by Torri Higginson -- sensing a trend here), and Sven-Ole Thorsen (Arnold Schwarzenegger's trainer). Oh, and the really cheesy CGI monsters you were supposed to shoot with the toys. I guess they were technically innovative for the day, but even then they looked kind of silly. I do remember the writing being fairly smart, though.

MilleniumLance October 12 2012 04:53 AM

wasnt this show ran by the people who eventually made Babylon 5 cant remember

Guy Gardener October 12 2012 08:27 AM

I watched a few episodes recently.

Horrifying.

Even if it was made for children, no one did anything for logical reasons.

Maybe it got better, but everytime I watch some this bad i used to think was cool i doubt my youngerselfs choices and beliefs.

Saw Jessica on Supernatural recently. Thought she was still quite attractive, however the Winchesters were treating her like some ones mum when they should have been making googoo eyes.

Ian Keldon October 12 2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7091836)
Jessica Steen (the original Dr. Elizabeth Weir in Stargate, replaced by Torri Higginson

THAT'S where I saw her! I knew I'd seen her in something else but couldn't for the life of me remember where (and was too lazy to look it up). :)

Quote:

Oh, and the really cheesy CGI monsters you were supposed to shoot with the toys. I guess they were technically innovative for the day, but even then they looked kind of silly.
They don't age well, that's for sure.

Quote:

MilleniumLance wrote: (Post 7091935)
wasnt this show ran by the people who eventually made Babylon 5 cant remember

J Michael Straczinski was one of the big writers on CP, and of course was the showrunner on B5.

Christopher October 12 2012 12:53 PM

Wasn't Phoenix Rising a working title for Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda at one point? Or a working title for something. Anyway, I'm sure it's been the title of many things over the centuries.

Ian Keldon October 12 2012 01:06 PM

^Dunno.

Pindar October 12 2012 01:21 PM

I had a vhs of this in the early 90's, I thought it was awesome.

Id certainly give a reboot a chance.