The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Chris Hemsworth. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=190855)

serenitytrek1 October 11 2012 10:32 PM

Chris Hemsworth.

I know Chris Hemsworth aka George Kirk is now a mega movie star in Hollywood especially with the phenomenal success of Thor/Avengers. However I really wish he would get lots of recognition as George kirk.

I would say that his role in the first 10-12 minutes of star trek 2009 was by far his best performance and his best acting in the whole of his film career.

The emotion, endurance and depth he brought as George Kirk was way better than what he brought to Thor’s character. it’s like with Thor he became known as this handsome beef-cake whereas in star trek people did see him as a serious actor.

May I also add that the beginning of Star Trek 2009 has been one of the best opening to any film ever and this won’t have happen if not for George Kirk's sacrifices to save his wife and son.

Chris brought so much emotion and realism in those scenes especially when he laughs and say Tiberius or when he kept on saying he loved his wife over and over again when he was looking at death in the face.

it was just so heartfelt something that I never got from him he he played Thor.

I just hope that as time goes by He will get mainstream popularity for his work in star trek instead of been the guy who hard a cameo in a star trek film.

bluepicard27 October 11 2012 10:37 PM

Re: Chris Hemsworth.

he commands a powerful presence

serenitytrek1 October 11 2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

bluepicard27 wrote: (Post 7089985)
he commands a powerful presence

Yeah I forgot to add that as well .If you want more of George's epicness as captain,check out this classic quote Captain Pike said to Jim:

''Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved eight hundred lives, including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better.
"

It just goes back to Chris awesomeness as George Kirk. I give him more critical praise for star trek than I do with Thor/Avengers:)

wissaboo October 11 2012 10:56 PM

He, and those opening scenes, are some of the best Trek has to offer.

6079SmithW October 11 2012 10:57 PM

The prologue of Star Trek was one of the most emotionally powerful sequences in a movie I've ever experienced and is arguably the best part of the movie. This is due in no small part to Hemsworth's performance. He did a great job and set up the title reveal perfectly.

I also enjoyed his acting in Thor and Avengers but I judge him differently there since the character has a much different personality. I do think Thor is too broody in Avengers but I don't blame Hemsworth for that. Hopefully he'll continue to be great in Thor 2.

serenitytrek1 October 11 2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

6079SmithW wrote: (Post 7090123)
The prologue of Star Trek was one of the most emotionally powerful sequences in a movie I've ever experienced and is arguably the best part of the movie. This is due in no small part to Hemsworth's performance. He did a great job and set up the title reveal perfectly.

I also enjoyed his acting in Thor and Avengers but I judge him differently there since the character has a much different personality. I do think Thor is too broody in Avengers but I don't blame Hemsworth for that. Hopefully he'll continue to be great in Thor 2.

yeah I guess so..I know the some comic fan boys might come at me with sticks for what I am about to say but I personally think that Star Trek 2009 was a better film than Thor and Avengers and I have some back up to prove it.

star trek 2009 = 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and 83/100 on Metacritic.

Avengers =92% on Rotten Tomatoes and 69/100 on Meatcritic.

Sure star trek 2009 pales in box office/commercial reception but I have always been one of those sci-fi and fantasy movie fans that prefers quality over quantity.:)

Drago-Kazov October 12 2012 07:40 AM

I don't think anybody will be a movie star these days which is good. Plenty of movies had big succes without big names in the main role.

Therin of Andor October 12 2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

serenitytrek1 wrote: (Post 7089943)
I just hope that as time goes by He will get mainstream popularity for his work in star trek instead of been the guy who hard a cameo in a star trek film.

In Australia, Chris Hemsworth is popularly known as Kim the surfer guy from "Home and Away", a nightly early evening soap opera he did before heading to the US. So he was playing mainstream roles (and won an award for Best New Talent) before his fantasy/SF genre work.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2224/1...4bf7357e6c.jpg
Chris Hemsworth on Flickr

donners22 October 14 2012 05:46 AM

Much as Eric Bana will be better remembered in Australia as Poida rather than The Hulk or Nero...

Greg Cox October 16 2012 01:21 AM

Just caught Hemsworth in CABIN IN THE WOODS the other day. Fun movie.

Spock/Uhura Fan October 16 2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 7092403)

I like this picture of him (and what he looked like in ST09) better than what he looks like as Thor. I don't know. Too hulky doesn't seem to suit him well to me, but I've got friends that disagree. :)

----

And poor Eric Bana. That hair looks like a crime. O_o

Therin of Andor October 16 2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: (Post 7109833)
And poor Eric Bana. That hair looks like a crime. O_o

Because he's playing Peter (pronounced "Poida"), the stereotypical Aussie bogan of the 80s. Mullets were compulsory.

Gojira October 16 2012 02:48 PM

I have come to associate Chris Hemsworth so much with Thor that I have often forgotten he played George Kirk. He is almost unrecognizable as George Kirk.

Therin of Andor October 18 2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 7111090)
I have come to associate Chris Hemsworth so much with Thor that I have often forgotten he played George Kirk. He is almost unrecognizable as George Kirk.

Ah, but he has also "played" George Kirk Jr, in a very Thor-like way...:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8010/7...5d6faef4b1.jpg
George Kirk Jr in IDW's ST Ongoing by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Drago-Kazov October 23 2012 05:12 PM

I like the way he looked. I wonder if he was a scavanger or a pirate...