The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Peanuts movie coming to theaters in 2015 (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=190690)

Chris3123 October 9 2012 10:55 PM

Peanuts movie coming to theaters in 2015

First one since 1980.

Quote:

The planned movie, the product of an agreement between the studio and Schulz's heirs, is scheduled to arrive in theaters Nov. 25, 2015.

Steve Martino, who directed Fox's "Ice Age: Continental Drift" and "Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who," is to direct from a screenplay by Craig Schulz, Bryan Schulz and Cornelius Uliano. Craig Schulz is the famous cartoonist's son, and Bryan Schulz his grandson.
LA Times

I'm glad it's not going to be live-action or a re-imagining or some crap like that. :techman:

sojourner October 10 2012 01:25 AM

Re: Peanuts movie coming to theaters in 2015

Well, there is a live action stage play. It was actually pretty good. I used to have the album.

The question is, will they go with a traditional cell shading art style, or CG art style (we all know it will most likely be computer animated either way)

the G-man October 10 2012 02:52 AM

Trying to do Charlie Brown in 3D or anything other than flat line art just doesn't work. Schulz's minimalist style only translates to 2D. Anything else looks creepy.

Random_Spock October 10 2012 02:58 AM

Here's to hoping it'll be in old 2d. :) Love the old Peanuts cartoons and it would be nice to see another Peanuts feature. It's timeless.

scotpens October 10 2012 03:04 AM

Everyone knew the Peanuts comic strip would end when Charles Schultz died. The strip was such a personal creation, no one else could possibly have continued it.

Well, at least this project has the involvement of Schultz's progeny, so I'm hoping for the best.

BTW, not that it's germane to the topic, but my brother went to school with two of the boys who did the voice of Linus in the TV cartoons.

I guess you could call that cartoon-dropping. :)

Mr. Laser Beam October 10 2012 03:06 AM

^ Didn't one of the Linuses (Lini?) play a Vorta on DS9?

the G-man October 10 2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

My Son the Vampire wrote: (Post 7081930)
Well, at least this project has the involvement of Schultz's progeny, so I'm hoping for the best.

Pick up any U.S. newspaper. Look at the comics page. Shudder at the terrible, terrible, "legacy" strips being churned out by the progeny of the original creators: Blondie, Beetle Bailey, For Better or For Worse, Shoe, Hagar the Horrible, etc.

These crappy strips, and others, make it abundantly clear that having the involvement of the original creator's family is by no means a guarantee of quality and, in fact, might signal the opposite.

Mr. Laser Beam October 10 2012 03:22 AM

^ I thought For Better Or For Worse was simply rerunning old strips, not trying to create new ones?

Mr. Adventure October 10 2012 03:24 AM

I really liked Peanuts as a kid, especially the holiday specials which I still enjoy, but I'm not sure how much appeal it has now that so much has changed since those days. It's not one of those projects that I feel is somehow too sacred or whatever to try I just can't see it making a big dent.

scotpens October 10 2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

the G-man wrote: (Post 7081966)
Pick up any U.S. newspaper. Look at the comics page. Shudder at the terrible, terrible, "legacy" strips being churned out by the progeny of the original creators: Blondie, Beetle Bailey, For Better or For Worse, Shoe, Hagar the Horrible, etc.

Well, I wouldn't know. I haven't read the newspaper "funny pages" in years.

Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 7082002)
I really liked Peanuts as a kid, especially the holiday specials which I still enjoy, but I'm not sure how much appeal it has now that so much has changed since those days.

I can just see the new, "edgy" Peanuts movie: Linus finally gets therapy for his blanket obsession. Lucy gets a life coach to help improve her personality. Charlie Brown attempts suicide. Snoopy gets euthanized.

the G-man October 10 2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7081993)
^ I thought For Better Or For Worse was simply rerunning old strips, not trying to create new ones?

My apologies. I meant to include "the Lockhorns," not FBOFW, in the list of crappy legacy strips

bigdaddy October 10 2012 05:44 AM

As long as it's not "live action / cartoon" shit going on I'm fine with it.

teacake October 10 2012 08:12 AM

My god enough already. It stopped being funny 40 years ago. Now it's just nostalgia.. which is fine though, if that's what people want. I won't be watching it.

Kai "the spy" October 10 2012 12:17 PM

If it's 2D animation, I'll give it a shot. If not, I won't.

the G-man October 10 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

My Son the Vampire wrote: (Post 7082206)
Quote:

the G-man wrote: (Post 7081966)
Pick up any U.S. newspaper. Look at the comics page. Shudder at the terrible, terrible, "legacy" strips being churned out by the progeny of the original creators: Blondie, Beetle Bailey, (the Lockhorns), Shoe, Hagar the Horrible, etc.

Well, I wouldn't know. I haven't read the newspaper "funny pages" in years.

...which tends to prove my point, vis a vis the lack of quality where a cartoonist's family carries on his work.