The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Why did Data want to be Human? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=190426)

The Borg Queen October 7 2012 12:55 PM

Why did Data want to be Human?
 
Surely trying to be Vulcan would have been more suitable for Data, right? :vulcan:

He can Logic with the best of them and doesn't have to concern himself with trying to understand emotions.

Trying to emulate a person is all well and good, but why a Human person specifically? Is it solely because Soong was a Human?

SonicRanger October 7 2012 01:14 PM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
People seem to have a tendency to do as they perceive their creator wishes. Data probably figures that Soong wanted to create an artificial human because he made Data look like a human. Thus Data likely thinks that his goal in life should be becoming human.

The Borg Queen October 7 2012 01:18 PM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
You may as well say that he made Data look like a Betazoid, or an El Aurian, or any of the dozens of other alien species that all look the same...

Sure Betazoids have dark eyes, but no Human has Yellow eyes, either...

Tora Ziyal October 7 2012 01:24 PM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
Also, in Starfleet, most of his commanding officers, colleagues and friends -- therefore, his role models -- were human.

The Badger October 7 2012 01:24 PM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
There would be no point in attempting to emulate a Vulcan. As you point out, he can use logic already. Aspiring to do something you can already do very well is pointless goal.

I do concur that he chose human because his creator was human.

Shazam! October 7 2012 01:28 PM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
If Data's goal was to emulate a Vulcan all he needed to do was make some pointy ears and the character arc would be over in 5 minutes.

R. Star October 7 2012 03:36 PM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
I would imagine it was programmed into him and was probably the biggest difference between Data and Lore besides the emotions.

sonak October 7 2012 04:36 PM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
he wanted to take an evolutionary step in the wrong direction...

T'Preea October 13 2012 05:46 AM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
Data's story is like that of Pinnochio. He wanted to be a real boy because it was something he wasn't. We all want to be something we're not because we think that life will be better that way. What Data didn't realize was that he was perfect the way he was. I think that if he had succeeded in his endeavor, it would have destroyed him as a person. I can't imagine him as a real human. I think it would be slightly awkward.

Genesis October 13 2012 05:56 AM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
Quote:

T'Preea wrote: (Post 7097524)
What Data didn't realize was that he was perfect the way he was.

Well, 'perfect' may be over-stating it, but it would've been awesome to see him realize he was equal--that being different did not in any way make him less. That would've been a powerful statement for all of us in the real world who are made to feel less for thinking and feeling differently too.

*sigh* Well, that's what's fanfiction is for, I suppose.

ETA: I agree Data as a real human would've been terrible. His differences were what made him so special and likable. Just too bad he never seemed to fully realize that.

Holdfast October 14 2012 11:01 PM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
Quote:

T'Preea wrote: (Post 7097524)
Data's story is like that of Pinnochio. He wanted to be a real boy because it was something he wasn't. We all want to be something we're not because we think that life will be better that way.

This.

Data's desire to be human represents the desire for a clear sense of personal & spiritual identity. It doesn't mean he thinks humans are better than androids (in fact, he acknowledges the reverse is true in many respects in his first conversation with Riker in EaF) but he still doesn't feel complete. So he strives to be human. He could have chosen anything, really; it's the journey that matters in terms of finding an identity he's comfortable with.

Tosk October 15 2012 03:12 AM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
It's not unusual for a child to want to be like their parents. As many have said, Data's father was human, so...




"Zammis get four five?"

Mutai Sho-Rin October 15 2012 04:23 AM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 7104853)
It's not unusual for a child to want to be like their parents. As many have said, Data's father was human, so...




"Zammis get four five?"

I LOVE the Enemy Mine quote. My favorite short story ever. It coincided with the birth of our older daughter in September, 1979.

gastrof October 18 2012 03:59 AM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
Quote:

The Borg Queen wrote: (Post 7068979)
Surely trying to be Vulcan would have been more suitable for Data, right? :vulcan:

He can Logic with the best of them and doesn't have to concern himself with trying to understand emotions.

Trying to emulate a person is all well and good, but why a Human person specifically? Is it solely because Soong was a Human?

Vulcan's have emotions, but supress them.

Data would have been asking for a WHOLE 'nother set of problems.

"Let's see... I have to learn how to feel emotions, but then not let myself show them to anyone, and at the same time remain as stoic, efficient and artificial as ever."

T'Preea October 21 2012 03:52 AM

Re: Why did Data want to be Human?
 
Quote:

Genesis wrote: (Post 7097560)
Quote:

T'Preea wrote: (Post 7097524)
What Data didn't realize was that he was perfect the way he was.

Well, 'perfect' may be over-stating it, but it would've been awesome to see him realize he was equal--that being different did not in any way make him less. That would've been a powerful statement for all of us in the real world who are made to feel less for thinking and feeling differently too.

*sigh* Well, that's what's fanfiction is for, I suppose.

ETA: I agree Data as a real human would've been terrible. His differences were what made him so special and likable. Just too bad he never seemed to fully realize that.

What I meant by that statement was simply that there is nothing wrong with him the way he is. He's unique, and that's what makes him special.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.