The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Chest hair: Kirk v. Spock (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=190378)

emergencyfruit October 7 2012 12:50 AM

Chest hair: Kirk v. Spock

Alright, I'm just going to ask it. We've seen Kirk with his shirt off dozens of times, and he never has any body hair. Fair enough, it makes him seem sleek and well-groomed. But why didn't they make Nimoy shave his chest too during the rare glimpses we get? It even seems antagonistic to the character - given that Vulcan is an extremely hot planet compared to human standards, yet Spock is comfortable at room temperature, why does his species even need body hair? And if it comes from his human half, wouldn't he shave it out of embarrassment?

Bubbles McGee October 7 2012 01:11 AM

Re: Chest hair: Kirk v. Spock

Quote:

emergencyfruit wrote: (Post 7067125)
We've seen Kirk with his shirt off dozens of times, and he never has any body hair. Fair enough, it makes him seem sleek and well-groomed.

I think the notion that a shaved or waxed male chest constitutes part of being a well-groomed male is a fairly recent one stemming from the trend during the last 15 or so years of metrosexuality. If anything, Kirk might have seemed more manly during the 60s had he actually had a hairy chest.

As to why Nimoy didn't have his chest waxed, perhaps he didn't feel the need to apologize for looking like a man. In-universe, one might argue that Vulcans (like their Romulan cousins) are very virile and passionate; they just keep it under wraps. A hairy-chested Vulcan then would not seem out of place if one were to associate a male hairy chest with virility, potency, and strong masculine drives (i.e. as in Pon Faar).

teacake October 7 2012 01:39 AM

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5222/5...03afec06_o.jpg

This does scream SEX!!!!

Maurice October 7 2012 02:10 AM

One can argue that much of the body hair on humans now is evolutionarily neutral, especially since its nowhere near consistent on the species as a whole. It's one of those things that doesn't matter too much so it hasn't been selected for or against, per se.

teacake October 7 2012 02:34 AM

I know Vulcan is a hot planet but didn't it get really cold at night?

Timewalker October 7 2012 02:38 AM

Maybe it's an evolutionary holdover from when Vulcans had more hair to protect themselves from the weather/climate?

(just taking a wild guess, considering that lots of terrestrial mammals have body hair, and both seh-lats and le-matyas are extremely hairy)

Quote:

All deserts get really cold at night.

teacake October 7 2012 02:59 AM

I'm recalling some male on male huddling in ENT.

Bubbles McGee October 7 2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

teacock wrote: (Post 7067275)

Yes, yes it does!:vulcan:

Grey October 7 2012 04:32 AM

I always wondered why Kirk's bare chest got so much airtime.

Really, and I know this is a personal preference, but I don't think it's nearly that attractive. :(

I always noticed that when the crew got to be dressed up in some planet's skimpy costumes, Spock was always more covered up than anyone else.

...I can't think of anything to say without it sounding weird, so I'll just say I'm glad they left him the way he is in that episode.

teacake October 7 2012 04:58 AM

But he would have been faster if he was waxed.

Nerys Myk October 7 2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Timewalker wrote: (Post 7067512)
Maybe it's an evolutionary holdover from when Vulcans had more hair to protect themselves from the weather/climate?

(just taking a wild guess, considering that lots of terrestrial mammals have body hair, and both seh-lats and le-matyas are extremely hairy)

Quote:

All deserts get really cold at night.

Some deserts are cold during the day, too.

teacake October 7 2012 05:08 AM

If we needed hair to stay warm in the caves why don't women have it?

OH WAIT! We evolved quicker!!

emergencyfruit October 7 2012 03:03 PM

Interesting thoughts, all! Taste preferences aside, I just think it's unfair that Shatner or some poor intern on set had to shave/wax Shatner's chest and stomach for what seems like every other episode, but Nimoy got a free pass the one time he had to be shirtless. C'mon, suffer for your art a little! :D

Sky October 7 2012 03:06 PM

Men wax their chest hair??? :confused:

Is this an American thing?

emergencyfruit October 7 2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Sky wrote: (Post 7069225)
Men wax their chest hair??? :confused:

Is this an American thing?

Eh...not really. Some guys do it, but it's pretty rare. Which is why it's so odd that they made Shatner do it every time Kirk was scripted to take his shirt off.