The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Klingon Uniform question. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=190030)

Vahn October 3 2012 11:13 PM

Klingon Uniform question.
 
Hi guys,

I've looked around a lot for this and I've found a few things but nothing solid. I'm wondering what the brown stole Klingon captains wear is called and is is specific to captains and high council members? Is it acquired by becoming a captain? I've attached a picture of it and the uniform. (It's the brown cape thing. ) I first noticed it in TNG season 2 episode 8 "A Matter of Honor".

http://s12.postimage.org/c1fhmngvx/image.jpg

Thanks a lot in advance,
Vahn

R. Star October 4 2012 03:55 AM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
I could be wrong on this, but from the uses I've observed from it it seems to be reserved for the head of a Klingon House in formal situations. Worf wore one too in Sins of the Father.

gaghyogi49 October 4 2012 05:48 AM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
It was first worn by Torg in "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" when he beamed over to the Enterprise, shortly before its self-destruct. When Kruge beamed down to the Genesis planet, he wore a different kind of robe. So it seems the leader of away missions also wears such robes.

R. Star October 4 2012 06:29 AM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
Yeah, a wide variety of people wore them. Hence my guess at them signifying the head of a Klingon house. This would cover High council members, captains, Worf, and the such.

Vahn October 4 2012 03:33 PM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
Right be even so being the head of the house shouldn't Worf wear it all the time?

R. Star October 4 2012 04:03 PM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
Why? You don't see military officers in their dress uniforms 24/7. As I said in my first post, it's probably formal attire. Oh and even Quark wore a similar one in House of Quark, and he definitely only was a Head of House however briefly.

Vahn October 4 2012 04:09 PM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
Right, but captains wear them when commanding a ship. Even worf wears one when he pretends to be captain of the enterprise in the emissary. I'd hardly think that running the ship in day to day situations would be considered formal?

R. Star October 4 2012 07:30 PM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
Quote:

Vahn wrote: (Post 7054795)
Right, but captains wear them when commanding a ship. Even worf wears one when he pretends to be captain of the enterprise in the emissary. I'd hardly think that running the ship in day to day situations would be considered formal?

Some captain's did, some didn't making it seem an optional thing and definitely not a requirement for command being you see subordinates wear them on occasion. If you have a better idea, let's have it.

Vahn October 4 2012 08:56 PM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
Quote:

Zombie Redshirt wrote: (Post 7055707)
Quote:

Vahn wrote: (Post 7054795)
Right, but captains wear them when commanding a ship. Even worf wears one when he pretends to be captain of the enterprise in the emissary. I'd hardly think that running the ship in day to day situations would be considered formal?

Some captain's did, some didn't making it seem an optional thing and definitely not a requirement for command being you see subordinates wear them on occasion. If you have a better idea, let's have it.

No no it's not like that, lol. Your most likely right. I appreciate the replies. This has just been something that's been nagging at me for a while. Thanks again.

R. Star October 5 2012 01:26 AM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
Quote:

Vahn wrote: (Post 7056076)
Quote:

Zombie Redshirt wrote: (Post 7055707)
Quote:

Vahn wrote: (Post 7054795)
Right, but captains wear them when commanding a ship. Even worf wears one when he pretends to be captain of the enterprise in the emissary. I'd hardly think that running the ship in day to day situations would be considered formal?

Some captain's did, some didn't making it seem an optional thing and definitely not a requirement for command being you see subordinates wear them on occasion. If you have a better idea, let's have it.

No no it's not like that, lol. Your most likely right. I appreciate the replies. This has just been something that's been nagging at me for a while. Thanks again.

Honestly I think they just throw them on at random because they look cool and we're left guessing. Certainly that's what I'm doing. ;)

But yeah, the only consistent thing I can come up with that covers everyone from the captains, high council members, random subordinates, and Quark is head of a house. :p

Vahn October 5 2012 06:41 AM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
Quote:

Zombie Redshirt wrote: (Post 7057567)
Quote:

Vahn wrote: (Post 7056076)
Quote:

Zombie Redshirt wrote: (Post 7055707)

Some captain's did, some didn't making it seem an optional thing and definitely not a requirement for command being you see subordinates wear them on occasion. If you have a better idea, let's have it.

No no it's not like that, lol. Your most likely right. I appreciate the replies. This has just been something that's been nagging at me for a while. Thanks again.

Honestly I think they just throw them on at random because they look cool and we're left guessing. Certainly that's what I'm doing. ;)

But yeah, the only consistent thing I can come up with that covers everyone from the captains, high council members, random subordinates, and Quark is head of a house. :p

Most likely. Lol

Drago-Kazov October 6 2012 10:25 AM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
Correct me if i am wrong, but klingons did not have different uniforms during their civil war.

Am i right?

At least is SW Legacy we can explain because they are all wearing helmets.

R. Star October 6 2012 10:33 AM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
No they didn't have different uniforms really. The Duras family were wearing red sleeves(which later became green), but their regular soldiers didn't follow suit.

Drago-Kazov October 6 2012 10:41 AM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
So how the heck could they tell eachother apart?

R. Star October 6 2012 10:48 AM

Re: Klingon Uniform question.
 
You think Klingons are that picky about who they're going to fight? Practically all of the fighting was in space anyways from how the episode presented itself.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.