The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Which movie does Kirk cherish his flaws? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=189892)

ipso October 2 2012 06:15 PM

Which movie does Kirk cherish his flaws?

In one of the movies (I believe it was a feature film) there is a scene where Kirk has dialogue with someone about his weaknesses his historical failings and character flaws. He states something to the effect that he derives great motivation from these imperfections; he NEEDS them (surely said with a grimace and a clenched fist.) He is NOT ashamed. They are what drive him to do the great things he does.

Which movie was that?

Thanks!

Greg Cox October 2 2012 06:20 PM

Re: Which movie does Kirk cherish his flaws?

Quote:

ipso wrote: (Post 7045321)
In one of the movies (I believe it was a feature film) there is a scene where Kirk has dialogue with someone about his weaknesses his historical failings and character flaws. He states something to the effect that he derives great motivation from these imperfections; he NEEDS them (surely said with a grimace and a clenched fist.) He is NOT ashamed. They are what drive him to do the great things he does.

Which movie was that?

Thanks!

That's Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

"I need my pain!"

ipso October 2 2012 06:28 PM

Thank you! I'll watch it tonight.

Greg Cox October 2 2012 06:29 PM

No problem.

FYI: The scene you're thinking of takes place near the end, when Kirk confronts "God" on an alien planet . . . .

And, if you're interested, Kirk comes to a similar realization in "The Enemy Within," one of the original TV episodes. (Written by Richard Matheson.)

sbk1234 October 3 2012 06:35 PM

It's scenes like this that I feel elevate this movie above the "drek" that many would accuse it of being. There is substance there.

Jimi_James October 3 2012 07:48 PM

I've always maintained that if you ignore much of the 'God at the center of the galaxy' story and focus on the character moments between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, then ST:V is a much more enjoyable film.

sbk1234 October 3 2012 10:16 PM

Agreed. Trek V may be a good movie "in spite of" much, rather than "because", but it's still a good movie.

Greg Cox October 4 2012 03:09 AM

It had its moments, I suppose, but it's still pretty much of a mess.

SmoothieX October 5 2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 7045396)
And, if you're interested, Kirk comes to a similar realization in "The Enemy Within," one of the original TV episodes. (Written by Richard Matheson.)

I think that is one of the more underrated TOS episodes. I know it's a little cheesey and they stuck a horn on a dog, but I think the premise that we need our 'dark side' so to speak, albeit tempered, is valid.

grabthars hammer October 5 2012 01:38 PM

Kirk cherishing his flaws/pain gives him a nice character moment but only at the expense of trashing the rest of the cast's characters, since none of them apparently were deep thinkers and easily gave in to Sybok's pain-sharing blabber.

RoJoHen October 5 2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Jimi_James wrote: (Post 7050376)
I've always maintained that if you ignore much of the 'God at the center of the galaxy' story and focus on the character moments between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, then ST:V is a much more enjoyable film.

I agree with this. Ignore the plot. Focus on the friendship between the Big 3. It's so much better than way.

Tosk October 7 2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

No problem.

FYI: The scene you're thinking of takes place near the end, when Kirk confronts "God" on an alien planet . . . .

Isn't it actually during an earlier scene? The one where we see Sarek's disapproval of Spock's humanity and the suffering of McCoy's father.

Greg Cox October 7 2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 7067932)
Quote:

No problem.

Isn't it actually during an earlier scene? The one where we see Sarek's disapproval of Spock's humanity and the suffering of McCoy's father.

Hmm. You could be right. I confess I haven't watched the movie in years.

Hartzilla2007 October 7 2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 7067932)
Quote:

No problem.

Yeah, thats when it happened.

Drago-Kazov October 14 2012 06:10 PM

That movie was used for torture prisoners somewhere.