The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Babylon 5 S2 (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=189808)

BruntFCA October 1 2012 09:34 PM

Babylon 5 S2

I'm interested in getting into Babylon 5 but I don't want to buy a show I have never seen so I checked my local library and all they have available for some reason is season 2. So my question is can I watch S2 without seeing S1 first? Thanks.

Harvey October 1 2012 09:59 PM

Re: Babylon 5 S2

The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.

Reverend October 1 2012 10:20 PM

Though I wouldn't recommend it, you should probably be OK going straight into season 2. The way it starts is something of a soft reboot anyway, so you should get caught up fairly quickly.

Unfortunately one of the major mysteries of the first season ("why did the Minbari surrender at the battle of the line?") gets pretty much laid out within the first two or three episodes. That may somewhat hinder your enjoyment of season one if/when you get around to watching it later. It might also dampen the resonance of some future revelations as you won't have experienced all the groundwork from S1.

Honestly, I'd advise tracking down a way to view the first season by some other means if at all possible. I know it used to be on Hulu, so you might still find it there or some other streaming or rental service like Netflix, LoveFilm etc.

Harvey October 1 2012 10:23 PM

Didn't AOL have the series on some sort of streaming service?

TemporalFlux October 1 2012 10:23 PM

During its original first run on syndicated tv, I started with season two. I did not have the opportunity to watch season one for the first time until after the season three finale.

Still turned out to be a big fan of Babylon 5.

zakkrusz October 1 2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

TemporalFlux wrote: (Post 7041676)
During its original first run on syndicated tv, I started with season two. I did not have the opportunity to watch season one for the first time until after the season three finale.

Still turned out to be a big fan of Babylon 5.

Same here, and It worked out fine. I got hooked on the show starting with the first episode of season 2, which when I went to buy the show, I thought was season 1 and was surprised to learn there was whole season I had missed.

Although, as mentioned season 2 starts with what's essentially a reboot so there will be no trouble starting with season 2. Season 1 was also the weakest season in my opinion, not bad by any means but the rest were better, so starting at season 2 might also be advantageous.

Professor Zoom October 2 2012 12:20 AM

Hulu.com is your friend. Looks like most of Season 1 is there.

Drago-Kazov October 6 2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 7041538)
The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.

Season 5 is worst.

MPH October 6 2012 12:17 PM

No you don't infact I have never even seen S1.

Distorted Humor October 6 2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Professor Zoom wrote: (Post 7042171)
Hulu.com is your friend. Looks like most of Season 1 is there.

Beat me to it, Season 1 can be rough in spots though, looks real rough compared to seasons 2-4

Harvey October 6 2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Drago-Kazov wrote: (Post 7064089)
Quote:

Season 5 is worst.

Nah. It's flawed, but it's never as consistently rough as the first season, which doesn't have an episode that approaches the satisfaction of "Sleeping in Light."

Elemental October 6 2012 10:35 PM

I personally think a person would be doing themselves a disservice by skipping season 1.

Reverend October 6 2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 7066321)
Quote:

Quote:

Season 5 is worst.

Nah. It's flawed, but it's never as consistently rough as the first season, which doesn't have an episode that approaches the satisfaction of "Sleeping in Light."

Bloody hell, what is it about Babylon 5 threads that they always end up becoming a discussion of the flaws and merits of season 5? It's like the Godwin's law of science fiction television! :p

Drago-Kazov October 6 2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 7066321)
Quote:

Quote:

Season 5 is worst.

Yeah but overall S1 was moving into a direction and Sleeping in Light is something that has little to do with S5 of B5.

Professor Zoom October 7 2012 01:09 AM

I think the first half of Season 5 is rough, but the second half...heartbreaking... a must watch.