The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Captain Sisko in First Contact (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=189679)

los2188 September 30 2012 04:44 AM

Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
I was talking recently to a friend of mine, and he pointed out about how he thought Captain Sisko could have been great in First Contact given his prior history with Picard in terms of the Borg. More of a good antithesis to Picard. Maybe have Worf and Sisko piloting the Defiant, where Sisko in some regards is Picard's voice of reason regarding the Borg so to speak. I'm just curious as to what anyone else thinks of the idea...

Dukhat September 30 2012 04:48 AM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
What does Sisko know about the Borg that Picard and his crew don't already know?

los2188 September 30 2012 04:52 AM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
Quote:

Dukhat wrote: (Post 7033930)
What does Sisko know about the Borg that Picard and his crew don't already know?

Not so much what he knows about the Borg, but just the Picard/Sisko story in regards to the Borg. My thought was Sisko being the one doing what Lily did. Making Picard confront his hatred of the Borg. Just a thought really.

R. Star September 30 2012 04:55 AM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
O'Brien would have been more natural to be in First Contact given his past on TNG and the fact he was on DS9 there's really no reason he couldn't have been on the Defiant instead of that nameless goldshirt and had a few lines on the Enterprise.

I really don't think the scene with Lily needs to be changed though. I dunno, maybe I just like a female support character that isn't inevitably a romantic interest for the main male protagonist.

BillJ September 30 2012 02:51 PM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
I don't understand what Sisko brings to the table that Worf doesn't?

Peach Wookiee September 30 2012 04:49 PM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
Sisko is another captain and theoretically could take over if Picard is unfit. That's what he brings to the table.

BillJ September 30 2012 05:07 PM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
Quote:

Peach Wookiee wrote: (Post 7035727)
Sisko is another captain and theoretically could take over if Picard is unfit. That's what he brings to the table.

Deemed unfit by who?

Obviously Crusher didn't deem him unfit for command as she was prepared to stay aboard the Enterprise and fight the Borg and Troi was on the ground. And I seriously doubt that any of the crew would've followed Sisko over Picard.

Story wise it's just a dead end, as Sisko would've been in the same position as Worf. Probably worse off as the crew doesn't even know him, he's just a random guy wearing captain pips and we've seen how the various crews have reacted to those over the years.

Peach Wookiee September 30 2012 05:12 PM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
Sisko could point it out to Beverly. "Yes, he's the captain, Doctor, but as Starfleet feared, he's acting on what happened to him. Would he ordinarily act like this or would he give up the Enterprise?" If her answer to the question is "give up the Enterprise," then he can logically point out that maybe Picard isn't fit for command. As for the question of them not knowing him, unless the command crew acts as they did in "Chain of Command, Parts I and II," they may listen to Sisko.

BillJ September 30 2012 05:22 PM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
Quote:

Peach Wookiee wrote: (Post 7035778)
Sisko could point it out to Beverly. "Yes, he's the captain, Doctor, but as Starfleet feared, he's acting on what happened to him. Would he ordinarily act like this or would he give up the Enterprise?" If her answer to the question is "give up the Enterprise," then he can logically point out that maybe Picard isn't fit for command. As for the question of them not knowing him, unless the command crew acts as they did in "Chain of Command, Parts I and II," they may listen to Sisko.

Well, Worf thought it was a good idea to destroy the ship and Crusher stood right there and watched Picard begin to meltdown and never raised the issue of command fitness.

Gary Mitchell September 30 2012 10:34 PM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
I haven't figured out how Sisko would have meshed into the story, but I've thought since the very first time I saw the movie that if the Defiant is going into battle with the Borg, there's no way that Captain Sisko would have stayed on DS9.

Dream October 1 2012 09:41 PM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
No. FC was TNG movie, and having Sisko there would have taken away from the TNG cast.

Peach Wookiee October 2 2012 04:55 AM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7035805)
Quote:

Peach Wookiee wrote: (Post 7035778)
Sisko could point it out to Beverly. "Yes, he's the captain, Doctor, but as Starfleet feared, he's acting on what happened to him. Would he ordinarily act like this or would he give up the Enterprise?" If her answer to the question is "give up the Enterprise," then he can logically point out that maybe Picard isn't fit for command. As for the question of them not knowing him, unless the command crew acts as they did in "Chain of Command, Parts I and II," they may listen to Sisko.

Well, Worf thought it was a good idea to destroy the ship and Crusher stood right there and watched Picard begin to meltdown and never raised the issue of command fitness.

But that's Worf, someone she's served with forever, even if he's been on DS9. And she knows he's been known to act rashly. Sisko is a more neutral party.

-Brett- October 2 2012 05:04 AM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
Might have been interesting fan service, but for a movie that needed the general audience to turn a profit, it would have been extraneous and probably confusing.

Trek Survivor October 2 2012 01:48 PM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
Fan-wankery-nothing more. As somebody else pointed out, Sisko's inclusion would have been a story dead-end. And it would've damaged the characterisation of others (Worf, Lily) who the film did a good service to.

I am relieved this thread didn't start with "My friend and I remember watching First Contact in the cinema and Cpt. Sisko was in a few scenes, does anyone remember...?"

Just yanking your chain, los2188 :-)

BillJ October 2 2012 05:46 PM

Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact
 
Quote:

Peach Wookiee wrote: (Post 7043020)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7035805)
Quote:

Peach Wookiee wrote: (Post 7035778)
Sisko could point it out to Beverly. "Yes, he's the captain, Doctor, but as Starfleet feared, he's acting on what happened to him. Would he ordinarily act like this or would he give up the Enterprise?" If her answer to the question is "give up the Enterprise," then he can logically point out that maybe Picard isn't fit for command. As for the question of them not knowing him, unless the command crew acts as they did in "Chain of Command, Parts I and II," they may listen to Sisko.

Well, Worf thought it was a good idea to destroy the ship and Crusher stood right there and watched Picard begin to meltdown and never raised the issue of command fitness.

But that's Worf, someone she's served with forever, even if he's been on DS9. And she knows he's been known to act rashly. Sisko is a more neutral party.

So she's going to trust somebody she doesn't know over somebody she does? That makes no sense and Worf does bring up Picard's experience with the Borg and he thinks its affecting his judgement. That line alone should've sent Crusher into evaluating command fitness.

But, once again, who is going to not follow Picard in a crisis situation? Especially one that is taking place in the 21st century...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.