The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Could you be a captain? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=189388)

Spanky September 27 2012 12:33 PM

Could you be a captain?

Putting the interests of the Federation before your own, a very minimal chance of having and raising a family, dealing with aggressive and patronising species / politicians, etc, being in charge of hundreds of lives, making the tough decisions, dealing with the unknown, having little or no back-up the majority of the time.

I'm pretty indecisive and impatient, I think I'd be an ensign my entire life. :(

C.E. Evans September 27 2012 01:24 PM

Re: Could you be a captain?

I'd probably wind up as a senior chief petty officer. Being terrible with math, I wouldn't have made it pass the Academy Entrance Exam.

Forbin September 27 2012 01:26 PM

I'd be cleaning the toilets.

horatio83 September 27 2012 02:46 PM

No. While I might be good about having to deal with all kind of different stuff at once I'd totally lack the necessary leadership skills.

BillJ September 27 2012 05:46 PM

Without a doubt.

I'd have been in the Air Force if not for vision issues.

MacLeod September 27 2012 06:16 PM

Of course, but I think I'd make a better First Officer. That way I can have all the fun on away missions whilst the Captain is left on the ship.

BillJ September 27 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

MacLeod wrote: (Post 7021504)
Of course, but I think I'd make a better First Officer. That way I can have all the fun on away missions whilst the Captain is left on the ship.

You'd be the Captain, you just have to put the first officer in his place. :techman:

Greg Cox September 28 2012 02:01 AM

Nah, I'd be the captain's speech-writer.

Delsaber September 28 2012 02:11 AM

I doubt I'm really captain material.

I could be the ship's vibe guy, though. Just sit me down somewhere, anywhere really. I'll put off good vibes.

teacake September 28 2012 02:23 AM

NO WAY.

I picture my role in the Star Trek universe as merchant on DS9's promenade. That's my perfect place. There is no possibility I would ever be in or want to be in Starfleet.

Shanndee September 28 2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 7024036)
NO WAY.

I picture my role in the Star Trek universe as merchant on DS9's promenade. That's my perfect place. There is no possibility I would ever be in or want to be in Starfleet.

You read my mind!...but to minimize competition (and avoid the fact that I don't like to be in charge) can I come work for you?

R. Star September 28 2012 02:37 AM

I'd be Morn! Heck yeah, that's the life. :p

Delsaber September 28 2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Shanndee wrote: (Post 7024072)
Quote:

NO WAY.

You read my mind!...but to minimize competition (and avoid the fact that I don't like to be in charge) can I come work for you?

This is how the Maquis really started.

Grey September 28 2012 02:41 AM

Noooo.

I always respected Spock's disinterest in taking over as captain. It takes a strong person to admit you'd be an ill fit for whatever reason despite having the opportunity.

As for myself, I'm not entirely sure I'd agree to get on any ship in the first place, lol.

teacake September 28 2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Shanndee wrote: (Post 7024072)
Quote:

NO WAY.

Well I was thinking of putting in a Dabo table on the side so..