The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Hey! Get another job! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=189277)

Captain McBain September 26 2012 02:48 AM

Hey! Get another job!
 
If the following weren't able to continue in their normal positions onboard the Enterprise, which 3 jobs would they be suited best for, and which 3 jobs would they be worst at?

Ex: Deanna Troi can no longer counsel, so maybe her best three jobs would be Captain, XO, and CMO. Worst: Chief Engineer, Ops, Science Officer...

This is just an example, of course. That's not how I would answer for Troi. You also may answer with any job from the Enterprise, not just 'well-known' positions/jobs.

So, how would you respond for Data, Worf, Picard, Riker, and Troi?

Mojochi September 27 2012 12:37 AM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
With the exception of maybe Troi, pretty much all of the bridge crew could be easily suited for any of the positions there. The general attitude on TNG was that the bridge crew could in many ways be interchangeable. Many of them in fact serve in the other positions or are referenced as having served in them during their career, except Troi & Dr. Crusher, who work in rather specialized skills

If Deanna couldn't be a counselor aboard ship, I could only maybe see her being the schoolroom teacher

Dr. Crusher seemed well suited to captain, or maybe head a science department

I always thought Geordi would make a good XO

Captain McBain September 30 2012 03:45 AM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
I think Data could probably act as CMO more efficiently than Dr. Crusher.

Genesis October 1 2012 07:20 AM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
Hmm. Interesting game.

I'm not sure I agree that the bridge crew is mostly interchangeable, even if that was supposed to be the idea. I'm trying to imagine Riker as counselor or CMO and it's not a pretty picture. He would make a great security chief, though.

Picard would've made a great science officer. In fact, when Q offers him an alternate future as opposed to death in Tapestry, that's what he's shown as becoming (though he's not happy about it).

Beverly would've been a great captain, and the few episodes where she ends up in command of the Enterprise or of a mission show this.

I struggle to see Geordi in anything other than an engineering or science position. Maybe CMO, if he had an interest in medicine instead of engines.

Troi was useless, so I can't see her as anything.

Data is maybe the only one who really could be excellent in any position. I even see him as being a great counselor (certainly better than Troi). His perspectives always shed more light on the behaviors of those around him than anyone else's. It's fairly obvious that he'd be great at everything else.

Worf's Beard October 1 2012 03:26 PM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
Quote:

Genesis wrote: (Post 7038850)
Data is maybe the only one who really could be excellent in any position. I even see him as being a great counselor (certainly better than Troi). His perspectives always shed more light on the behaviors of those around him than anyone else's. It's fairly obvious that he'd be great at everything else.

So the answer is a ship full of Datas? All solved. ;)

Wesley wouldn't be good for captain, security or counsellor, but he'd be fine taking on Geordi's role.

Troi might take up Guinan's role serving drinks and listening, while Guinan might make a good counsellor. There, found a use for Troi.

Forbin October 1 2012 05:58 PM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
"Counsellor Worf" has an interesting ring.

R. Star October 1 2012 08:06 PM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
Quote:

Forbin wrote: (Post 7040479)
"Counsellor Worf" has an interesting ring.

He will beat you until you get over your emotional problems. ;)

But let's play...

Picard could easily get promoted to Admiral, but a less ambitious Picard could easily become a science officer or operations officer.

Riker was supposed to be the captain in training, but was stated to be "the best pilot." I couldn't see him being an engineer or science officer though.

Data would be an awesome science officer or engineer. Really the only job I see him being unable to do is Ship's Counselor.

Worf could get by playing as XO or Operations. Obviously anything in blue just isn't going to work.

LaForge was already a decent enough pilot, but could do well at Ops too. We already know he's suited for command in the future. Only field I see him not taking well to is Counseling and Medical.

Troi... let's face it. I have no idea how she was a lieutenant commander to start with, nonetheless made commander. She wasn't even that good in her chosen field to be honest. Piloting... she crashed the Enterrpise... twice. Tactical... no... Operations and Engineering obviously confused her... Medical... assuming she studied a lot it's possible... command... anyone remember how ineffective she was in Disaster?

Crusher... she always struck me as the ship's science officer along with Data being there wasn't a full time one. She did alright the few times she was in the captain's chair.

Genesis October 1 2012 08:18 PM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
Quote:

Worf's Beard wrote: (Post 7039837)
Troi might take up Guinan's role serving drinks and listening, while Guinan might make a good counsellor. There, found a use for Troi.

You're right, Troi would be good at working in Ten Forward. I never thought of that. And Guinan would've made a far superior counselor. I think she would've made a great captain too, though. Her character was so underutilized in the show.

O'Brian would've been good at tactical or ops. And his wife is another who would've been good at counseling.

OmahaStar October 1 2012 08:37 PM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
Quote:

Genesis wrote: (Post 7041094)
You're right, Troi would be good at working in Ten Forward. I never thought of that. And Guinan would've made a far superior counselor. I think she would've made a great captain too, though. Her character was so underutilized in the show.


To be fair, producers/writers rarely knew in advance when they would have Whoopi available for a particular episode. She was an A-lister back then.

Genesis October 1 2012 08:56 PM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
Quote:

The Valeyard wrote: (Post 7041154)
To be fair, producers/writers rarely knew in advance when they would have Whoopi available for a particular episode. She was an A-lister back then.

Really? I knew she did other things, but I didn't realize she was popular enough to be called an A-lister. I guess that explains why we didn't get more episodes focused on her.

Still a shame, though. I never got a lot of my questions about her character answered.

OmahaStar October 1 2012 09:14 PM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
Quote:

Genesis wrote: (Post 7041220)
Quote:

The Valeyard wrote: (Post 7041154)
To be fair, producers/writers rarely knew in advance when they would have Whoopi available for a particular episode. She was an A-lister back then.

Really? I knew she did other things, but I didn't realize she was popular enough to be called an A-lister. I guess that explains why we didn't get more episodes focused on her.

Still a shame, though. I never got a lot of my questions about her character answered.

Oh, big time. She's probably a C-lister now, at best, but at that time? Oh she was A-list all the way, up to and including winning an Oscar. She was also making one movie after another.

I have heard over the years that they reduced Troi's role to give Guinan more screen-time, and would quickly rewrite Troi's dialog to work in Ten-Forward whenever they knew Whoopi would be there. On those times when they had a real Guinan script, they booked her far ahead of time to make sure she was available.

Captain McBain October 2 2012 02:47 AM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
Quote:

Genesis wrote: (Post 7038850)
Hmm. Interesting game.


Data is maybe the only one who really could be excellent in any position. I even see him as being a great counselor (certainly better than Troi). His perspectives always shed more light on the behaviors of those around him than anyone else's. It's fairly obvious that he'd be great at everything else.

How could an emotionless android be a better counselor than a partial empath? Deanna Troi might also be a good substitute for Mot.

Genesis October 2 2012 08:24 AM

Re: Hey! Get another job!
 
Quote:

The Valeyard wrote: (Post 7041298)
Oh, big time. She's probably a C-lister now, at best, but at that time? Oh she was A-list all the way, up to and including winning an Oscar. She was also making one movie after another.

I have heard over the years that they reduced Troi's role to give Guinan more screen-time, and would quickly rewrite Troi's dialog to work in Ten-Forward whenever they knew Whoopi would be there. On those times when they had a real Guinan script, they booked her far ahead of time to make sure she was available.

Ah, thank you. The way they used her character makes sense now. :)

Quote:

Captain McBain wrote: (Post 7042633)
How could an emotionless android be a better counselor than a partial empath

Because most of counseling is listening while people talk things out for themselves and pointing out irrationalities in thinking. Who better than Data to point out irrational thinking? The most effective form of therapy for most types of mental disorders is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which is all about using logic to override dysfunctional thinking patterns.

Also, Data would be far easier to talk to than any human because you'd know nothing you said could possibly upset him. He's incapable of having his own feelings interfere with his judgement or of getting frustrated or shocked.

That's just my personal opinion, though. I have Bipolar II and I know I would find Data's calm rationality 1000x more helpful than Troi's empathy. I don't need someone to sense my feelings. I know how I feel. I need someone to tell me if the feelings have a basis in reality. Most of the others I know with mental disorders are the same. Sympathy or empathy may sound nice, but it's hard rationality which makes a difference in the end.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.