The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Star pupil Picard finished Academy within 1 year (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=189226)

Reeborg September 25 2012 12:03 PM

Star pupil Picard finished Academy within 1 year
 
In season 2 Picard says to Wesley that the "Nausican incident" happened during his first year at the Academy which becomes in Tapestry his last year at the Academy. Amazing, isn't it?

Legate Damar September 25 2012 06:55 PM

Re: Star pupil Picard finished Academy within 1 year
 
Quote:

Reeborg wrote: (Post 7011352)
In season 2 Picard says to Wesley that the "Nausican incident" happened during his first year at the Academy which becomes in Tapestry his last year at the Academy. Amazing, isn't it?

If Kirk 2.0 can do it in 3 and get a starship command, JLP is certainly smarter.

Ugly Sweater September 26 2012 02:55 AM

Re: Star pupil Picard finished Academy within 1 year
 
Umm without checking, it seems that that when Starbase Earhart (where the Naussican incident took place) it was after graduation where he and his friends were awaiting their first assignments. In "Tapestry" he does tell Riker at the end of the episode that the Earhart incident wasn't his first encounter with Naussicans and he had had an earlier encounter with them during his time in the Academy.

Reeborg September 26 2012 11:19 AM

Re: Star pupil Picard finished Academy within 1 year
 
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 7014493)
Umm without checking, it seems that that when Starbase Earhart (where the Naussican incident took place) it was after graduation where he and his friends were awaiting their first assignments. In "Tapestry" he does tell Riker at the end of the episode that the Earhart incident wasn't his first encounter with Naussicans and he had had an earlier encounter with them during his time in the Academy.

So you mean Picard gets in his first year into a fight with three Naussicans and loses his heart and then a few years does it again with his artificial heart? But then why would avoiding the second fight avoid his dying in Tapestry when he already had his natural heart replaced before????

I would then rather go with the "1-year Academy graduation theory". Within one year, Picard rocks the Academy and wins the marathon too. :lol:

Ugly Sweater September 26 2012 11:36 AM

Re: Star pupil Picard finished Academy within 1 year
 
I'll have to watch "Samaritan Snare" again to see what he says, but in the end "Tapestry" ret-conned what happened to Picard and his classmates being on shore-leave after graduation when he had the encounter with the Nausicans that cost him his heart.

If he does tell Wesley it happened in his first year he may have been mixing up to separate incidents with Nausicans.

Timo September 26 2012 11:39 AM

Re: Star pupil Picard finished Academy within 1 year
 
Actually, there is nothing in "Samaritan Snare" to indicate that it would have been Picard's first Academy year.

Quite to the contrary, Picard says he was a "young Starfleet officer", meaning he would be out of the Academy already, having graduated at the top of his class.

The only timing cue given in the episode is that Picard was "not many years older than" Wesley, which tells us basically nothing.

Timo Saloniemi

Asbo Zaprudder September 26 2012 12:37 PM

Re: Star pupil Picard finished Academy within 1 year
 
Did they get the continuity of his hairline correct?

Reeborg September 26 2012 01:25 PM

Re: Star pupil Picard finished Academy within 1 year
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 7015759)
Actually, there is nothing in "Samaritan Snare" to indicate that it would have been Picard's first Academy year.

Quite to the contrary, Picard says he was a "young Starfleet officer", meaning he would be out of the Academy already, having graduated at the top of his class.

The only timing cue given in the episode is that Picard was "not many years older than" Wesley, which tells us basically nothing.

Timo Saloniemi

Ok, I checked it again. In fact, I had watch it last in Portuguese and, mistakenly, took "primeiro...classe...na Academia" for first class/year of the Academy. I just checked in English and saw my error. I am sorry for the mix-up.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.