The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Sisko's favorite baseball team (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=189190)

Mr_Homn September 25 2012 02:14 AM

Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Excluding any mention of future (from our perspective) non existent baseball teams... What is Sisko's favorite baseball team?

In Advesary he seems very excited about watching the 1964 game seven of the world series, in which the cardinals prevailed. One thing that means is that he can't be a yankees fan since they lost. Is he a cardinals fan?

But, In take me out to the holosuite, he wears a san fransisco giants hat in practice. Obviously a reference to starfleet HQ... but is it something more? Does he have an allegiance to the giants?

There is no MLB team in new orleans, otherwise, that would be the safe bet.

Does he just like teams that have beaten the texas rangers in the world series? (Cardinals and Giants) If so, why does he hate the rangers so much?


I haven't seen every episode, are there any other hints he drops about what could possibly be his favorite (MODERN DAY) team?

sonak September 25 2012 02:57 AM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
the Cubs. Because he just has that kind of sense of humor.

Rķu rķu, chķu September 25 2012 03:24 AM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
In rehearsals for the Holosuite ep, Cirroc Lofton wore a Braves cap because of his uncle (Kenny Lofton, who played for the Braves at that time). So I figure Avery Brooks wore a Giants cap because of some real world connection to that team.

If Avery is a Giants fan IRL, then Sisko probably is one on the show.

Mr_Homn September 25 2012 03:47 AM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7010377)
In rehearsals for the Holosuite ep, Cirroc Lofton wore a Braves cap because of his uncle (Kenny Lofton, who played for the Braves at that time). So I figure Avery Brooks wore a Giants cap because of some real world connection to that team.

If Avery is a Giants fan IRL, then Sisko probably is one on the show.

I always found it funny that Cirroc wore a braves cap, because Kenny Lofton played the majority of his career with the Cleveland Indians, who were bitter postseason rivals of the Braves at the time. I think that year (when "take me out to the holosuite" was made) was the only year of Kenny's career where he was on the Braves.

R. Star September 25 2012 03:40 PM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Quote:

Mr_Homn wrote: (Post 7010464)
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7010377)
In rehearsals for the Holosuite ep, Cirroc Lofton wore a Braves cap because of his uncle (Kenny Lofton, who played for the Braves at that time). So I figure Avery Brooks wore a Giants cap because of some real world connection to that team.

If Avery is a Giants fan IRL, then Sisko probably is one on the show.

I always found it funny that Cirroc wore a braves cap, because Kenny Lofton played the majority of his career with the Cleveland Indians, who were bitter postseason rivals of the Braves at the time. I think that year (when "take me out to the holosuite" was made) was the only year of Kenny's career where he was on the Braves.

What's so funny about that? As you said yourself Lofton was a Brave at the time. Sorta does make sense, someone from New Orleans is probably going to pick the Braves or one of the Texas/Florida teams.

Really doesn't matter too much anyways, baseball allegiances can be tricky things. I managed to be a Cub fan even though I've lived in Texas all my life.

sonak September 25 2012 04:28 PM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7011949)
Quote:

Mr_Homn wrote: (Post 7010464)
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 7010377)
In rehearsals for the Holosuite ep, Cirroc Lofton wore a Braves cap because of his uncle (Kenny Lofton, who played for the Braves at that time). So I figure Avery Brooks wore a Giants cap because of some real world connection to that team.

If Avery is a Giants fan IRL, then Sisko probably is one on the show.

I always found it funny that Cirroc wore a braves cap, because Kenny Lofton played the majority of his career with the Cleveland Indians, who were bitter postseason rivals of the Braves at the time. I think that year (when "take me out to the holosuite" was made) was the only year of Kenny's career where he was on the Braves.

What's so funny about that? As you said yourself Lofton was a Brave at the time. Sorta does make sense, someone from New Orleans is probably going to pick the Braves or one of the Texas/Florida teams.

Really doesn't matter too much anyways, baseball allegiances can be tricky things. I managed to be a Cub fan even though I've lived in Texas all my life.


it's easier to "pick" a team to follow these days, too. You're not stuck rooting for your city team because with cable packages and the internet, you can track whatever team you want. Pick the team with the coolest uniform, your favorite player, whatever.

R. Star September 25 2012 04:54 PM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Quote:

sonak wrote: (Post 7012117)
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7011949)
Quote:

Mr_Homn wrote: (Post 7010464)

I always found it funny that Cirroc wore a braves cap, because Kenny Lofton played the majority of his career with the Cleveland Indians, who were bitter postseason rivals of the Braves at the time. I think that year (when "take me out to the holosuite" was made) was the only year of Kenny's career where he was on the Braves.

What's so funny about that? As you said yourself Lofton was a Brave at the time. Sorta does make sense, someone from New Orleans is probably going to pick the Braves or one of the Texas/Florida teams.

Really doesn't matter too much anyways, baseball allegiances can be tricky things. I managed to be a Cub fan even though I've lived in Texas all my life.


it's easier to "pick" a team to follow these days, too. You're not stuck rooting for your city team because with cable packages and the internet, you can track whatever team you want. Pick the team with the coolest uniform, your favorite player, whatever.

Heh, what made me a Cub fan was they were on every afternoon on WGN.. I live in a part of Texas, that at the time was between the Houston/Texas broadcast areas so I didn't get either team regularly. So if I wanted to watch baseball it was the Cubs... dang good marketing on their part. :p

Yeah, that's less of a factor these days given the larger cable packages. Ironically those larger cable packages were one of the nails in Trek's coffin.

Bumbles861 September 25 2012 05:33 PM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
I am, naturally a Jays fan (I know, I know...don't go there),but before there were Jays (or Expos for that matter), I was, and still am a Pirates fan and Dad still loves his Cubbies.

I also always thought the advent of so many channels and packages helped bring about the demise of Trek. I always thought the channel dedicated to science fiction would be a natural fit, but I guess it is too niche a market for the kind of audience numbers that are needed to keep something on the air.

sonak September 25 2012 07:15 PM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7012198)
Quote:

sonak wrote: (Post 7012117)
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7011949)

What's so funny about that? As you said yourself Lofton was a Brave at the time. Sorta does make sense, someone from New Orleans is probably going to pick the Braves or one of the Texas/Florida teams.

Really doesn't matter too much anyways, baseball allegiances can be tricky things. I managed to be a Cub fan even though I've lived in Texas all my life.


it's easier to "pick" a team to follow these days, too. You're not stuck rooting for your city team because with cable packages and the internet, you can track whatever team you want. Pick the team with the coolest uniform, your favorite player, whatever.

Heh, what made me a Cub fan was they were on every afternoon on WGN.. I live in a part of Texas, that at the time was between the Houston/Texas broadcast areas so I didn't get either team regularly. So if I wanted to watch baseball it was the Cubs... dang good marketing on their part. :p

Yeah, that's less of a factor these days given the larger cable packages. Ironically those larger cable packages were one of the nails in Trek's coffin.


Yeah, I've heard that WGN created a lot of Cubs fans around the country. The same thing probably happened with the Braves and TBS in the '90s, except that the Braves were actually very good during the time they were on TBS.

Kirby September 25 2012 07:38 PM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
I suspect that Sisko is just a baseball fan in general, and as someone pointed out upstream, he probably wore the Giants cap as a nod towards Starfleet Command.I heard that story too about how the actors could wear whatever team they wanted in the show, and how Cirroc chose the Braves. The Giants moved from New York to San Francisco in 1957, so maybe Avery Brooks was a fan? I'm assuming he grew up on the east coast, but maybe not...

Admiral_Sisko September 25 2012 11:48 PM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Quote:

Kirby wrote: (Post 7012792)
I suspect that Sisko is just a baseball fan in general, and as someone pointed out upstream, he probably wore the Giants cap as a nod towards Starfleet Command.I heard that story too about how the actors could wear whatever team they wanted in the show, and how Cirroc chose the Braves. The Giants moved from New York to San Francisco in 1957, so maybe Avery Brooks was a fan? I'm assuming he grew up on the east coast, but maybe not...

Avery Brooks is from my hometown (Evansville, Indiana), though I don't know if he actually grew up there. He has lived a significant portion of his life on the East Coast, but I don't know if that translates into his choosing a particular baseball cap for Benjamin Sisko.

Jimi_James September 26 2012 12:06 AM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Sisko would be a fan of the Pittsburgh Cowboys, because they score the most shots and make all the points. Sudden Death Touch Down!

TenLubak September 26 2012 01:54 AM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
The Giants would make sense since Captain Sikso wore that hat. I mean usually i wear my favorite teams hat. I wouldn't wear another team's hat so I think its safe to say its the Giants. And wasn't Worf Willie Mays in an episode too?
That and i think Sisko liked Jackie Robinson for some reason, at least i think he was talking about Ebbits field once, this might have been in a novel however. Maybe Millieniuem trilogy? I think it was. That makes sense he seems to like the best black ball players Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Adam Jones :)

Rķu rķu, chķu September 26 2012 03:59 AM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Quote:

TenLubak wrote: (Post 7014331)
And wasn't Worf Willie Mays in an episode too?

He played a character named Willie, yes. But not Mays.

As for Avery's Giants cap: Did he actually wear it in the episode itself? I don't remember that...

nightwind1 September 26 2012 04:17 AM

Re: Sisko's favorite baseball team
 
Quote:

sonak wrote: (Post 7010275)
the Cubs. Because he just has that kind of sense of humor.

And even in the 24th Century, they still haven't won a World Series yet.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.