The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Logical quick endings to episodes. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=189160)

Grant September 24 2012 07:14 PM

Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
It seems that in some episodes they had to manipulate the characters sense of reason and logic to make the episode more exciting....

In 'Changling', at some point they realize it not an organism, that it has immense power and that it wants to sterilize all 'non-perfect' life forms, including earth.
Their one advantage is that it thinks Kirk is its creator.

But they fumble around till Kirk spills the beans and endangers Enterprise/Earth.

It seems as soon as they found out its power/threat, Kirk could simply have said, "Nomad you're doing a great job, i am impressed. It's time for you to continue your mission!"

Then when they transport Nomad--instead of transporting it into space intact, as they would imply to Nomad--just beam it at 'maximun dispersal' destroying it.

Are there other episodes like this, where a really quick solution was available?

Also in "Whom Gods destroy" when Spock confronts the two 'Kirks'--it would have so cool to have 'Garth/Kirk' say, "Shoot him, he's the imposter!" and 'Kirk/Kirk' say, "Shoot us both the imposter will revert."
Spock blasts Garth/Kirk and he reverts.

It would have avoided another cheesy Shatner vs. a poor looking stunt double of himself and enhanced both Kirk and Spock's intelligence/team-work in the audience's mind.

I was bored with Kirk vs. Kirk by the time of 'Enemy Within', let alone season 3.

Was having the fight better than a more abrupt ending?

Redfern September 24 2012 09:56 PM

Re: Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
I know in the James Blish adaptation of "The Doomsday Machine" they tried firing phasers directly into the "maw" only to have the beams bounce around like in a hall of mirrors, but I don't remember if even Blish had them do anything with photon torpdoes. Seems they would offer the kind of explosion similar to what the Constitution provided.

Or, do as they did in "Obsession"; increase the potential "bang" with a full on anti-matter bomb. Launch that down its "throat". Boom! Burp! Puke!

Yeah, earlier it "deactivated" the anti-matter in the Consti's warp pods, but the Enterprise's were still intact. Syphon off a bit, seal it in a "magnetic bottle" and fire away!

Sincerely,

Bill

alfredodedarc September 25 2012 01:49 AM

Re: Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
Actually, the 2009 movie had a very quick ending in a plot point that defied all logic and completely took me out of the movie.
I cannot believe that Spock Prime's Jellyfish ship was not equipped with some sort of self- destruct, or that Spock Prime would not do what Newspock attempted at the end of the movie.
Spock Prime had to know what a threat Red Matter would be in the wrong hands. Why didn't he do a kamikaze run at the Narada rather than risk having Red Matter fall into Nero's hands?
It defies all logicand it should have been addressed in the movie. A simple throwaway line would have covered it.
Spock Prime, "Knowing the danger the Red Matter might present to the galaxy, I attempted to ram the Narada but unfortunately, I was knocked unconscious briefly when Nero's tractor beam seized my ship."

alfredodedarc September 25 2012 01:52 AM

Re: Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
I won't even talk about the ending of Star Trek V... it's a shame Paramount would not give the Shat the $$ for a couple of CGI shots at the end for the DVD version.

Timewalker September 25 2012 02:23 AM

Re: Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
Quote:

alfredodedarc wrote: (Post 7010002)
I won't even talk about the ending of Star Trek V... it's a shame Paramount would not give the Shat the $$ for a couple of CGI shots at the end for the DVD version.

Why bother, since it's such a crappy movie? I first saw it in its original theatrical release, and it was so offensively awful, I nearly walked out - the ONLY movie that's ever made me want to do that!

A beaker full of death September 25 2012 04:02 AM

Re: Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
Quote:

Timewalker wrote: (Post 7010122)
Why bother, since it's such a crappy movie? I first saw it in its original theatrical release, and it was so offensively awful, I nearly walked out - the ONLY movie that's ever made me want to do that!

Creaky bandwagon, that. I find it damn good in many ways.

Mr_Homn September 25 2012 04:09 AM

Re: Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
Quote:

Timewalker wrote: (Post 7010122)
Quote:

alfredodedarc wrote: (Post 7010002)
I won't even talk about the ending of Star Trek V... it's a shame Paramount would not give the Shat the $$ for a couple of CGI shots at the end for the DVD version.

Why bother, since it's such a crappy movie? I first saw it in its original theatrical release, and it was so offensively awful, I nearly walked out - the ONLY movie that's ever made me want to do that!

Watched it on blu ray recently, it's not that bad. The cinematography is great, the music is great, and it has some of the best character moments in all of the movies. Certainly better than Nemesis and Insurrection.

Timewalker September 25 2012 05:12 AM

Re: Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
Quote:

A beaker full of death wrote: (Post 7010509)
Quote:

Timewalker wrote: (Post 7010122)
Why bother, since it's such a crappy movie? I first saw it in its original theatrical release, and it was so offensively awful, I nearly walked out - the ONLY movie that's ever made me want to do that!

Creaky bandwagon, that. I find it damn good in many ways.

WTF do you mean by "creaky bandwagon"? :vulcan: I'm not saying you can't like it. I just said I didn't like it. My *personal opinion* is that it's not worth "improving" special effects-wise, because the story itself is crap (in my not-at-all-humble-opinion, of course).

T'Girl September 25 2012 07:49 AM

Re: Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
Quote:

alfredodedarc wrote: (Post 7010002)
I won't even talk about the ending of Star Trek V...

My TFF moment is where Spock s holding the gun on Sybok in the flight deck. Now they're on the Enterprise, Dr. McCoy's right there and sickbay is less than a minute away. Hey Spock, shoot you brother in the knee.

He'll live.

:)

Timo September 25 2012 08:07 AM

Re: Logical quick endings to episodes.
 
Quote:

Why didn't he do a kamikaze run at the Narada rather than risk having Red Matter fall into Nero's hands?
I'd argue the exact opposite - essentially, that the movie was too short because the obvious was overlooked.

That is, I see no way for Spock to evade Nero's tractor beams or achieve ramming when tractored. The Vulcan's tiny ship shouldn't have a prayer against the asteroid-towing beams of the mining rig. Thus, the ramming attack at the end of the movie should have utterly failed, and Starfleet would have to have devised another means to bring down the clumsy but surprisingly resilient behemoth.

The final scene: Kirk getting promoted and decorated. In the background, Starfleet admirals whisper: "Isn't this a bit premature?" "Well, yes, sort of. But we have been bombarding that ship for three months straight now, and while the Romulan bastard is cornered and helpless, he's not giving up any time soon. I for one am tired of waiting it out."

Timo Saloniemi


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.