The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=188215)

Dream September 15 2012 07:25 AM

The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
EVERY TIME I watch Generations, I got so annoyed at the recycled footage of the BOP exploding taken from TUC. I always get taken out of the movie for a split second. Who else found it super annoying?

We got new space battle footage of BOPs in Redemption. Are you telling me GEN couldn't even afford something that a season finale was able to get? Were they just rushing it at this point like the rest of the movie?

DonIago September 15 2012 07:49 AM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
For me that's the single lowest point of the film.

The next lowest being the "Oops, we got hit one too many times, I guess," destruction of the E-D.

The third lowest being the sheer ineptitude required to let an officer who they know has been compromised before...and by the same piece of hardware he's currently wearing, no less...go right back into an area with sensitive information...and apparently never detecting the fact that he's broadcasting on KTV.

NrobbieC September 15 2012 07:55 AM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
I'd watched Generations before TUC and prefer it to TUC so it doesn't bother me. The recycled footage in What You Leave Behind annoys me a little - Miranda class starship gets hit, see Garak next to an exploding building...

Mr_Homn September 15 2012 08:04 AM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
Quote:

DonIago wrote: (Post 6964777)
For me that's the single lowest point of the film.

The next lowest being the "Oops, we got hit one too many times, I guess," destruction of the E-D.

The third lowest being the sheer ineptitude required to let an officer who they know has been compromised before...and by the same piece of hardware he's currently wearing, no less...go right back into an area with sensitive information...and apparently never detecting the fact that he's broadcasting on KTV.

Those are all low points.

But for me, the lowest point is... well, I guess it's not just one point.

It's just the entire usage of the silly "nexus" idea. Picard has this amazing opportunity to use the Nexus to go anywhere and anyplace in time(overpowered and dumb plot device to begin with...) and they pick 10 minutes before Soren launches his rocket?

This classic youtube edit pointed it out best:


MacLeod September 15 2012 08:31 AM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
^Well going back to that point in history would certainly have made things easier.

Dukhat September 15 2012 11:39 AM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
There's a lot of silliness in GEN, but let's focus on the OP's point.

Yes, I was quite annoyed about the reuse of the exploding BoP for two reasons. At the time, I knew it was from TUC because, well, TUC had been the last Trek movie I saw before this one, so it was still fresh in my mind, so to speak.

But what really annoyed me later was when I found out that originally, the Duras sisters were supposed to have a newer, larger and better ship, one more equal to the Enterprise, so that it made more sense when it destroyed the latter, as opposed to a dinky BoP that destroyed the Enterprise thanks to a lucky shot.

But because someone wanted to reuse the exploding BoP footage to save a couple bucks, TPTB decided to nix the building of a new Klingon ship model and reuse the old BoP in order to match the ship with the stock footage.:brickwall:

SchwEnt September 15 2012 01:30 PM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
It seems TPTB, on occasion, have no knowledge or concerns regarding our ships.

I'm reminded of those who wanted to use the Akira for the ENT because they liked it. I'm reminded of those who want to keep using the Klingon BoP because it's popular. Other similar incidents.

Some just see Star Trek spaceships they like or don't like or spaceships they can use or not use and that's about it.

No accounting for ideas such as "this ship is 200 years older than the other and it wouldn't make sense" or "this one is a scoutship and can't fight like a battleship" or "this ship is ten times the size of the other and they can't match up like this".

Evidently some execs don't know about (and don't care to learn) internal consistency and details and canon. They see what they like and they wanna go for it.
Some would put a Constitution class and an Intrepid class serving side by side, if they liked how it looked on screen. Not all studio suits are fans, I suppose.

captain crow September 15 2012 02:05 PM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 6964747)
EVERY TIME I watch Generations, I got so annoyed at the recycled footage of the BOP exploding taken from TUC.

Do you have the same problem with The Wrath of Khan since it reuses several model shots from The Motion Picture?



Fun fact: Movies 2-7 reuse at least one model shot from the movie that came before it. In fact one shot gets reused for three consecutive movies.

StewMc September 15 2012 03:34 PM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
Quote:

captain crow wrote: (Post 6965446)
Fun fact: Movies 2-7 reuse at least one model shot from the movie that came before it. In fact one shot gets reused for three consecutive movies.

Let me guess, the Enterprise-A in Spacedock shot? (used at the end of IV, during Scotty's log entry in V, and just as the ship is about to leave at the start of VI?

For what it's worth, in Generations I believe the shot of the BoP cloaking just before the Observatory goes boom is also a reuse from VI.

Dream September 15 2012 03:50 PM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
Quote:

StewMc wrote: (Post 6965680)
Quote:

captain crow wrote: (Post 6965446)
Fun fact: Movies 2-7 reuse at least one model shot from the movie that came before it. In fact one shot gets reused for three consecutive movies.

Let me guess, the Enterprise-A in Spacedock shot? (used at the end of IV, during Scotty's log entry in V, and just as the ship is about to leave at the start of VI?

For what it's worth, in Generations I believe the shot of the BoP cloaking just before the Observatory goes boom is also a reuse from VI.

The difference is that the Enterprise model shots were unimportant and short.

The BOP exploding recycled footage was huge part of Generation's climax and they based the entire battle on it, even going so far as having an out of date BOP defeating the Enterprise instead of having one of the bigger Klingon ships do it instead.

The show took the trouble of introducing the new modern and more powerful class of Klingon ships, the Vor'cha-class, but the movie ignored it. Having a Vor'Cha class ship destory the Enterprise would have been so much more believable for me. Them being so cheap killed the logic for me.

There was zero respect for the Enterprise just like zero respect for Kirk when they dropped a bridge on him.

JarodRussell September 15 2012 04:12 PM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
Every time they recycled shots for the films it's cheap and disappointing. The reused spacedock shots in TWOK are no exception.



I THINK that they might have played with the idea of having Kirk command the Enterprise in the battle against the old Bird-of-Prey, because he knows the weaknesses and has much more battle experience.

Dream September 15 2012 04:19 PM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 6965791)
Every time they recycled shots for the films it's cheap and disappointing. The reused spacedock shots in TWOK are no exception.

I THINK that they might have played with the idea of having Kirk command the Enterprise in the battle against the old Bird-of-Prey, because he knows the weaknesses and has much more battle experience.

I never saw TMP so those scenes in TWOK never bothered me. :lol:

At this point I was REALLY tried of seeing the Klingons deplicted as the bad guys in the movies. Gene Roddenberry went to the trouble of making the Klingon Empire an ally of the Federation in the TNG era just to get away from that, since he never thought the movies should have been so much about Klingons vs humans. I really agreed with him on that.

captain crow September 15 2012 04:30 PM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
Quote:

StewMc wrote: (Post 6965680)
Quote:

captain crow wrote: (Post 6965446)
Fun fact: Movies 2-7 reuse at least one model shot from the movie that came before it. In fact one shot gets reused for three consecutive movies.

Let me guess, the Enterprise-A in Spacedock shot? (used at the end of IV, during Scotty's log entry in V, and just as the ship is about to leave at the start of VI?.

Yup.
Quote:

StewMc wrote: (Post 6965680)
For what it's worth, in Generations I believe the shot of the BoP cloaking just before the Observatory goes boom is also a reuse from VI.

And the Enterprise-B warping past is the Excelsior from VI.


Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 6965737)
Quote:

StewMc wrote: (Post 6965680)
Quote:

captain crow wrote: (Post 6965446)
Fun fact: Movies 2-7 reuse at least one model shot from the movie that came before it. In fact one shot gets reused for three consecutive movies.

Let me guess, the Enterprise-A in Spacedock shot? (used at the end of IV, during Scotty's log entry in V, and just as the ship is about to leave at the start of VI?

For what it's worth, in Generations I believe the shot of the BoP cloaking just before the Observatory goes boom is also a reuse from VI.

The difference is that the Enterprise model shots were unimportant and short.

But it's a reused shot and isn't that what you're original post is complaining about? All I did was point out that II-VII all reuse shots from previous.

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 6965791)
The reused spacedock shots in TWOK are no exception.

Pretty much any shot of the Enterprise not involving Genisis, Regula 1, Reliant, or the Mutara Nubula are from TMP.


Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 6965812)
At this point I was REALLY tried of seeing the Klingons deplicted as the bad guys in the movies. Gene Roddenberry went to the trouble of making the Klingon Empire an ally of the Federation in the TNG era just to get away from that, since he never thought the movies should have been so much about Klingons vs humans. I really agreed with him on that.

Then what the hell is the point of making a thread complaining about a reused shot?

Romulus Prime September 15 2012 05:13 PM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
It's just one of the many grievances I have with that movie...

:klingon:

Sindatur September 15 2012 05:26 PM

Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations
 
Quote:

captain crow wrote: (Post 6965446)
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 6964747)
EVERY TIME I watch Generations, I got so annoyed at the recycled footage of the BOP exploding taken from TUC.

Do you have the same problem with The Wrath of Khan since it reuses several model shots from The Motion Picture?



Fun fact: Movies 2-7 reuse at least one model shot from the movie that came before it. In fact one shot gets reused for three consecutive movies.

Damn it, Now I have to hate all the movies? :klingon: ;)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.