The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   What happens when a Trek book is sold out and out of print? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=188155)

Dream September 14 2012 11:43 AM

What happens when a Trek book is sold out and out of print?

I was thinking about starting the Destiny trilogy since I keep hearing how good it is, but it is currently sold out on Amazon and the book store nearby. Obviously I won't start reading if the middle part of the store is completely missing. Anyone know what Pocket does when Trek books go out of print? Do they just stop printing? Will new copies of Destiny II show up in the future on Amazon?

Relayer1 September 14 2012 11:52 AM

Re: What happens when a Trek book is sold out and out of print?

Destiny is still in a lot of shops here in the U.K. and on Amazon U.K. and Amazon marketplace, plus for Kindle. It's also just been republished all in one volume. It's also available on Ebay.

Loads of ways to get it ! :)

Hugh Cambridge September 14 2012 11:53 AM

Well in the case of Destiny, the trilogy was reprinted in paperback as a whole.

Therin of Andor September 14 2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 6959575)
I was thinking about starting the Destiny trilogy since I keep hearing how good it is, but it is currently sold out on Amazon and the book store nearby.

All three books in one volume:
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Dest...y+trek+omnibus

Quote:

Anyone know what Pocket does when Trek books go out of print? Do they just stop printing?
It's a case by case basis. In this case, they published an omnibus reprint.

Dream September 14 2012 12:22 PM

Pocket collected the three books into one novel?! Thanks for telling me this! I just put the omnibus on my Wish List.

This is actually nice. Don't need another three small books on the shelf when it can be combined. I'll make sure to check if a trilogy is collected as a single omnibus in the future if one of the segements get sold out.

Amazon is my go to place for books. Whever books get out of print, I become so disappointed.

teacake September 14 2012 12:40 PM

bookdepository.co.uk is frequently cheaper, and charges no postage. They have Destiny as one book or as separate books.

Dream September 14 2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 6959710)
bookdepository.co.uk is frequently cheaper, and charges no postage. They have Destiny as one book or as separate books.

I live in the US. Shipping charges from the UK would kill me!:)

EDIT: Never mind, looks like they have free shipping. :rommie:

teacake September 14 2012 12:51 PM

yep free shipping! I order from them all the time. They often have out of print stuff too, got some Bablyon 5 books from them.

Hugh Cambridge September 14 2012 01:23 PM

And they are very quick for the deliveries: I usually get the books in the days following the publication (I got "the eternal tide" the 31 th of august :techman:)

Patrick O'Brien September 14 2012 02:20 PM

Try Abebooks.com

hbquikcomjamesl September 14 2012 05:37 PM

And Alibris. (And note that if you're an Amtrak Guest Rewards member, Alibris gives points, as long as you enter via the Guest Rewards portal.)

Defcon September 14 2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 6959725)
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 6959710)

I live in the US. Shipping charges from the UK would kill me!:)

EDIT: Never mind, looks like they have free shipping. :rommie:

And since they're owned by Amazon it isn't even that big a change for you.

JD September 15 2012 02:35 AM

One of the advantages of going over to E-books is that pretty much every Pocket Trek book is available in that format. Of all of the Trek books Pocket has published, I've only come across two or three that aren't available as E-books.

Greg Cox September 15 2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 6963793)
One of the advantages of going over to E-books is that pretty much every Pocket Trek book is available in that format. Of all of the Trek books Pocket has published, I've only come across two or three that aren't available as E-books.

And, alas, some of them are mine . . . . .

CNash September 15 2012 02:57 AM

How do our authors feel about buying from second-hand booksellers (on eBay etc.) while their novels are still in print? I'm in the computer games industry, and there's a growing movement to demonise second-hand game sales, as the developers don't get any money for them and the consumer still gets the same experience as if they'd bought the game new. I'm curious as to whether the publishing world has the same concerns.