The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   McDowell: Kirk Deserved Better (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=187843)

TrekToday September 11 2012 06:40 PM

McDowell: Kirk Deserved Better

Malcolm McDowell, who played the obsessed Dr. Tolian Soran, did not like how Captain Kirk died in Star Trek: Generations. According to McDowell, the death scene was filmed several times. “We shot it twice,” said McDowell. “It was feeble, I thought, because I thought [Kirk] deserved better.” “Poor old Captain Kirk,” said McDowell. “It was [...]

More...

C.E. Evans September 11 2012 06:42 PM

Re: McDowell: Kirk Deserved Better

It's no secret that Kirk was brought back in Generations for only two reasons--to meet Picard and then die, IMO. But the original planned death was kinda lame, I thought.

NrobbieC September 11 2012 06:45 PM

I'd have made Kirk's death quicker and more brutal.

SimpleLogic September 11 2012 07:50 PM

Maybe Dr. Soran should have beat Kirk to death while singing "Singing In the Rain" or perhaps to the tunes of Ludwig Van.

Caligula September 11 2012 08:02 PM

Kirk absolutely deserved better. The Enterprise-D deserved better. Hell, even Soren... the BAD GUY... deserved better!

sonak September 11 2012 09:11 PM

I think that Kirk's death is the real issue that most fans who don't like GEN really have with the film. It is handled in a disappointing, almost off-hand way, but you could look at it as a way of showing that not al heroes get grand, operatic deaths.

CorporalClegg September 11 2012 10:00 PM

He died on the bridge! How can it get any better than that?

Oh wait...

Methos September 11 2012 10:01 PM

Yeah... i would have rather Kirk died on the bridge of the Enterprise D... killing off the ship and old captain at the same time...

it would have been more fitting

M

JarodRussell September 11 2012 10:22 PM

The idea of killing Kirk on screen is a bad one by default. There is no possible scenario that would have been accepted by everyone.

Xaios September 12 2012 01:03 AM

In Soviet Russia, bridge comes to Captain Kirk!

Aragorn September 12 2012 03:51 AM

On one hand, there's nothing more heroic than dying to save the lives of millions of people who will never know what you did for them.

On the other hand, the way they handled it was pretty underwhelming. The whole Nexus stuff was pretty underwhelming. And why wouldn't Picard go back to an easier time to take down Soran?

sbk1234 September 12 2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 6946102)
The idea of killing Kirk on screen is a bad one by default. There is no possible scenario that would have been accepted by everyone.

Agreed. I had no problem with Kirk dying, but there was NO WAY to give him an adequate death.

Peach Wookiee September 12 2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Aragorn wrote: (Post 6947386)
On one hand, there's nothing more heroic than dying to save the lives of millions of people who will never know what you did for them.

On the other hand, the way they handled it was pretty underwhelming. The whole Nexus stuff was pretty underwhelming. And why wouldn't Picard go back to an easier time to take down Soran?

You mean like this? :D

Dream September 12 2012 04:57 AM

TNG crew also deserved better then being in those big dumb movies (Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis).

teacake September 12 2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

NrobbieC wrote: (Post 6944767)
I'd have made Kirk's death quicker and more brutal.

I agree. Stabbed to death with a horrible weapon would have been better.