The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=187822)

Spock/Uhura Fan September 11 2012 01:45 PM

Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
Hello, another poll for you all.

Hopefully, this can be a thread that is one part poll, one part discussion/debate, and one part appreciation of either or both actors and their common role. My answer to the poll question is an obvious YES! I think Zachary Quinto did a wonderful job picking up where Nimoy's Spock could have left off if events and circumstances had been different in the Prime timeline.

I also love the fact that the two of them appear to have a wonderful friendship that, no doubt, played its part in how well Zachary was able to take on the role of Mr. Spock and put his own little bit of pizzazz in there as well. :)

What do you think? Was Zachary's portrayal of this iconic character the beginning of greatness, or an epic fail of major proportions? Obviously, the writing has something to do with how the character was received, but I'm asking purely about the performance. Please feel free to leave your thoughts about the writing after you say what you did or didn't like about Mr. Quinto's delivery.

And to help start off this thread, here's a scene that I just love from the movie. I think it's one of the BEST!!! :D :

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/...T/321c1270.gif

(Mr. Spock Prime wishes our "new" Mr. Spock "Good luck." :))

teacake September 11 2012 01:50 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
The torch was not only passed it burns brighter.

Spock/Uhura Fan September 11 2012 01:53 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 6943426)
The torch was not only passed it burns brighter.

I love them both, but I have to say that Zachary is pretty awesome. :)http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/...T/caa1f71b.gif

You know, it was my interest in Zachary that got me to see how wonderful Mr. Nimoy is. Truly great. :)

King Daniel Into Darkness September 11 2012 02:01 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
Yes, torch very much passed. Not just for Spock, but for the whole crew. This video pretty much sums up the epicness levels for me...

Methos September 11 2012 02:02 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
loved it...

Zachary does an awesome Spock, and i hope he keeps the character alive for a long time :)

M

Neumann September 11 2012 02:09 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
It was a good performance but we need more witty spock than angry spock! :rommie:

teacake September 11 2012 02:12 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
I think he brought out the heart of Spock, that we always knew was there. He blew me away how much he keyed into what we always knew was essential Spock, only more raw because of youth and personal tragedy. It was one of the greatest movie experiences of my life to see Quinto's Spock.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/7...9a792e3299.jpg

The essence of every piece of Spock fanfic ever, LOL

teacake September 11 2012 02:16 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
Quote:

Neumann wrote: (Post 6943513)
It was a good performance but we need more witty spock than angry spock! :rommie:

Oh I don't know..

"I intend to assist in the effort to reestablish communication with Starfleet. However, if crew morale is better served by my roaming the halls weeping, I will gladly defer to your medical expertise. Excuse me. "

BillJ September 11 2012 03:05 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
I honestly thought he did well. But I didn't like that he had to compete with Nimoy (which is one reason I was in favor of a hard reboot) and the softer voice takes some getting use to. Especially after spending thirty-five years of hearing Nimoy's voice.

Temis the Vorta September 11 2012 07:23 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
Quinto was so perfect, it's like they ordered him from the Spock Factory. :bolian:

And if there's one character in all fiction that I would say was unrecastable, it's Spock. The only noticeable difference is the voice - Quinto's isn't as deep.

teacake September 11 2012 10:42 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 6945061)
Quinto was so perfect, it's like they ordered him from the Spock Factory. :bolian:

:guffaw:

Quote:

And if there's one character in all fiction that I would say was unrecastable, it's Spock. The only noticeable difference is the voice - Quinto's isn't as deep.
He got a lot of the body language the same which always impresses me. The voice, well maybe he hasn't quite hit all the Vulcan puberty milestones.

UFO September 11 2012 11:27 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 6943546)
Quote:

Neumann wrote: (Post 6943513)
It was a good performance but we need more witty spock than angry spock! :rommie:

Oh I don't know..

"I intend to assist in the effort to reestablish communication with Starfleet. However, if crew morale is better served by my roaming the halls weeping, I will gladly defer to your medical expertise. Excuse me. "

Yes, credit where its due, that was classic Spock (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there is a similar scene in TOS ;)), however by the film's end I get the feeling they are saying: "But we've decided to go another way". In that respect it was a kind of "Spock of two halves" situation.

Never-the-less I think Quinto did as good a job as anyone who isn't (TOS) Nimoy could hope to do from the point of view of his performance. At least when taken separately from what may be happening to the character.

Caligula September 11 2012 11:34 PM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
Out of all the actors, Zachary Quinto did the best job of making you believe he was who he was supposed to be.

Set Harth September 12 2012 02:42 AM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
The third film could be The Search for the Spock Factory.

teacake September 12 2012 05:56 AM

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?
 
Quote:

UFO wrote: (Post 6946396)
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 6943546)
Quote:

Neumann wrote: (Post 6943513)
It was a good performance but we need more witty spock than angry spock! :rommie:

Oh I don't know..

"I intend to assist in the effort to reestablish communication with Starfleet. However, if crew morale is better served by my roaming the halls weeping, I will gladly defer to your medical expertise. Excuse me. "

Yes, credit where its due, that was classic Spock (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there is a similar scene in TOS ;)),

Yep, I posted about it here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...8&postcount=16


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.