The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Shatner Sued By Ex-employees (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=187298)

Dream September 6 2012 01:10 AM

Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
http://www.trektoday.com/content/201...-ex-employees/

Wow, those people make Shatner seem like some kind of monster. I wonnder if it is true?

WalkerBait September 6 2012 03:36 AM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 6916778)
http://www.trektoday.com/content/201...-ex-employees/

Wow, those people make Shatner seem like some kind of monster. I wonnder if it is true?

Rumors about Shatner and has ego have been going around since TOS's days. There's sh-loads of stories about him wanting more lines and story time given to Kirk at the expense of the other actors. Hell, him and George Takei have had a feud going on since those days.

Shatner is awesome and I have all of the respect in the world for him both as Kirk and as an actor (see: Boston Legal) but he's also a gigantic ego.

Dream September 6 2012 03:40 AM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 6917414)
Shatner is awesome and I have all of the respect in the world for him both as Kirk and as an actor (see: Boston Legal) but he's also a gigantic ego.

I know about this ego, but this is taking it way too far.

His ego is the reason why I don't want him in STXII.:rommie:

NrobbieC September 6 2012 03:49 AM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 6917432)
His ego is the reason why I don't want him in STXII.:rommie:

The best decision those people will ever make :P

teacake September 6 2012 08:26 AM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
He's already in ST:XII. Kirk.. you can't have Kirk without the legacy of Shatner. Did you see the way Pine sat in that chair at the end of ST:XI? That was pure Shatner. He could drop dead tomorrow and he'll still be channeled.

Starkers September 6 2012 10:56 AM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
So Shatner was so awful they worked for him for 20 years?

Captaindemotion September 6 2012 01:52 PM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
Quote:

Starkers wrote: (Post 6918656)
So Shatner was so awful they worked for him for 20 years?

:bolian: This.

I'm the first to pounce on tyrannical bosses and am all in favour of full rights for employees but they do seem to have taken a long time in deciding that this particular workplace was intolerable.

Spock/Uhura Fan September 6 2012 02:24 PM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 6917432)
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 6917414)
Shatner is awesome and I have all of the respect in the world for him both as Kirk and as an actor (see: Boston Legal) but he's also a gigantic ego.

I know about this ego, but this is taking it way too far.

His ego is the reason why I don't want him in STXII.:rommie:

I'll co-sign this. I think he did a great job in TOS, what I've seen of it, but I don't know about these new films...

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 6918383)
He's already in ST:XII. Kirk.. you can't have Kirk without the legacy of Shatner. Did you see the way Pine sat in that chair at the end of ST:XI? That was pure Shatner. He could drop dead tomorrow and he'll still be channeled.

I think I read somewhere that Pine said he didn't try to emulate Shatner because he couldn't and it would just come off cheesy if he did. I think that was a good move on his part. They seem both alike and particularly different enough for me. Shatner's Kirk was glossier, and he loved to use charm. Pine's Kirk reminds you more of a frat guy who uses his "moves" too.

I just didn't see the legacy of Shatner there, but then I'm not huge on TOS either. :shrug:

Quote:

Captaindemotion wrote: (Post 6919064)
Quote:

Starkers wrote: (Post 6918656)
So Shatner was so awful they worked for him for 20 years?

:bolian: This.

I'm the first to pounce on tyrannical bosses and am all in favour of full rights for employees but they do seem to have taken a long time in deciding that this particular workplace was intolerable.

It could have been the straw that broke the camel's back. When you have a worker's comp issue, and your boss wants you to sign away your rights... I could see how that would be a problem, especially for an employee that faithfully served for 20 years.

Drago-Kazov September 9 2012 11:40 AM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
Quote:

Captaindemotion wrote: (Post 6919064)
Quote:

Starkers wrote: (Post 6918656)
So Shatner was so awful they worked for him for 20 years?

:bolian: This.

I'm the first to pounce on tyrannical bosses and am all in favour of full rights for employees but they do seem to have taken a long time in deciding that this particular workplace was intolerable.

He was ahole who paid well.

Captaindemotion September 9 2012 09:18 PM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
^Most real a-hole employers don't even pay well though.

I Am Groot September 9 2012 09:58 PM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
Quote:

Starkers wrote: (Post 6918656)
So Shatner was so awful they worked for him for 20 years?

Not to take a side on this issue because I have no idea what the truth is, but the lawsuit claims this all came about because of a recent workplace injury that Shatner wanted them to sign a waiver absolving him of all financial responsibility for, so things could have been perfectly amicable between them for the previous twenty years of employment and then went downhill after the accident. I don't know if he really harassed them until they had to quit, but there's nothing inconsistent with them having a problem now and not having one in the past, since the catalyst for the problem allegedly just occurred recently.

Starkers September 10 2012 09:06 AM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
^Yeah I can see the logic of that, like you say we are only hearing one side of this though.

gturner September 11 2012 08:31 PM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
Couldn't Shatner counter-sue for the return of any incredible awesomeness that rubbed off on them while they were his employee?

JINXED September 11 2012 08:48 PM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
Seriously, it took 20 years for them to realize he's an egomaniac?

If I were on the jury I wouldn't give them a dime.

gturner September 11 2012 08:51 PM

Re: Shatner Sued By Ex-employees
 
How could you find a jury that couldn't save money with Priceline?

How could an attorney depose Shatner without cracking up when Shatner sits in the witness stand, looks out at the jury, looks down at the witness chair's armrests, and says, "Mine has buttons."


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.