The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   I thought Valiant was a very good episode (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=187226)

Sexy Human September 5 2012 09:33 AM

I thought Valiant was a very good episode

Anyone agree?

I liked the Captain Watters character. Just thought it was overall a good plot and a good idea. And great how it wasnt some stupid predictable happy ending.

They got the shit kicked out of them.

Photon September 5 2012 11:35 AM

Re: I thought Valiant was a very good episode

Quote:

Sexy Human wrote: (Post 6913418)
Anyone agree?

I liked the Captain Watters character. Just thought it was overall a good plot and a good idea. And great how it wasnt some stupid predictable happy ending.

They got the shit kicked out of them.

2 things:
1) I love seeing cocky pricks getting their asses handed to them
2) The big Dominion battleship....Win

R. Star September 5 2012 06:35 PM

It was alright. Really it was a ship full of cocky, arrogant pricks that didn't know what they were doing. I had a hard time feeling bad when they got blown up.

It was a good character piece of Nog and his pride, a bit of eyecandy.

Danny99 September 5 2012 07:12 PM

They tried to make a bunch of sympathetic characters (like Collins) on a ship full of jackasses. Unfortunately, she turned into a whiny brat and I spent the entire episode hoping they'd all perish.

Takeru September 5 2012 08:45 PM

I did not like the episode, the actors they cast as the cadets were too young, they looked like they were 16. That they had conservative Season 1 Janeway hairstyles made them look even younger, they looked like a bunch of kids playing grown-ups.

The episode was very predictable, I knew from the start that these arrogant asses would fail, there was no way a bunch of inexperienced kids were going to blow up the Dominion ship and become heroes, it had written "This is a tragedy!" all over it, the only problem was that seeing the idiots die wasn't very tragic, I wanted them dead after 15 minutes, they just weren't likable.

Mage September 5 2012 08:45 PM

Some nice SFX, which are actually quite dated by now.
That was it.

Nightdiamond September 5 2012 09:15 PM

It was interesting episode to watch, but it's true, they were all jerks, and it was almost enjoyable seeing them get their arses handed back to them.

And the plot is right out the original Star Wars with the Death Star battle.

Shikarnov September 5 2012 09:44 PM

[Deleted]

NrobbieC September 5 2012 09:51 PM

The characters were so annoying and arrogant, it's fun to watch them die. That's the risk of having too many yanks on the bridge.

MacLeod September 5 2012 11:43 PM

The best part of the episode has to be when the arrogant cadets got exactly what they deserved.

Serioulsy did Starfleet not learn the lessons of Nova Squad about having elite cadet squads?

tighr September 6 2012 12:21 AM

Well, I figured I'd add something other than all the valuable insight about these jerks getting what they deserved ;)

For me, the major criticisms I had about this episode had to do with how they dealt with the plot concept of a "Cadet Ship". The existence of a cadet ship itself didn't bother me, but the fact that it was a Defiant-class vessel did. There should have been other vessels more suited to training cadets, but that's relatively minor compared to my major concerns:

They were on a "three month training mission to circumnavigate the Federation". LOL-what? There is no way the Federation is anywhere near circumnavigable in three months. There is no way in hell the Federation can even be CROSSED in three months, depending on your view of the size of the Federation. And if they're on the border of Federation space, how did Nog get there from Earth in a Runabout?

The way the provisional ranks were handed out. Let's allow for Waters being field-commissioned to Captain. And lets allow for the fact that they ignored orders and stayed on the Frontlines to fight the Dominion instead of going home. He's got a very high opinion of some of the other cadets (and a low opinion of the others). Why are some of them granted officer commissions, while the one girl gets a CPO commission? Arguably as a cadet, she's already at a higher grade than a CPO.

In the end, they were all jerks and deserved what they had coming to them. Clearly they were not as mature as the members of Nova Squadron, although that's another bad example of Cadets in action.

commanderkai September 6 2012 05:13 AM

The cadets wasted a Defiant Class ship. That alone made it a bad episode

Dream September 6 2012 05:59 AM

I can imagine what would have happened had a real captain like Picard or Sisko had arrived onto the ship. They would have told the brats to go the hell home.

A good ship wouldn't have been wasted too.

teacake September 6 2012 06:52 AM

It was a classic revenge of the nerd writers on the cool kids story line.. though it went a bit too Columbine for my taste. Still an enjoyably different ep for DS9.

Enterprise is Great September 6 2012 07:04 AM

I thought it sucked Kong Kong sized balls. The only redeeming part of it was seeing these arrogant pricks get blown to pieces. Fraking twits.