The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=185903)

Sumghai August 23 2012 12:44 AM

What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
As an Intrepid-class vessel, Voyager had under its primary saucer the unmistakable outline of a Captain's Yacht-like shuttlecraft - what Doug Drexler dubbed the Aeroshuttle / AeroWing - and would presumably have reused the Danube Runabout interior from DS9. However, it was never utilized in the shows, especially with the introduction of the Delta Flyer(s) in later seasons.

If, for some reason, these Aeroshuttles were decommissioned fleetwide and there wasn't going to be a Captain's Yacht for the Intrepid-class, what would go in its old spot instead?

I'm pondering this as I have recently downloaded a 3DS Max mesh for the Intrepid-class, and am thinking of retexturing it to remove the Aeroshuttle.

T'Girl August 23 2012 12:51 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
I think that when Voyager departed Mars that the Areoshuttle was, for some reason, unavailable. And what the Voyager actually had was basically a "plug," to occupy that space, and make Voyager's underside aerodynamic in case she had to enter a atmosphere.

Alternatively, again the shuttle was missing, and what we were seeing was the sliding hatch/hatches that closed when the shuttle was on a mission, the hatch would make it so the Voyager could land without the shuttle in place.

The intention was to eventually equip the ship with the shuttle.

:)

The Wormhole August 23 2012 01:14 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
^^That's basically the rationalization that has since been provided in the novels for why we never saw the aeroshuttle.

Colonel Midnight August 23 2012 01:52 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
They could probably install/build a good-sized swimming pool in there, or perhaps a "Hypothermia Relief Chamber" (sauna). :)

Cheers,
-CM-

Sumghai August 23 2012 03:07 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 6843287)
I think that when Voyager departed Mars that the Areoshuttle was, for some reason, unavailable. And what the Voyager actually had was basically a "plug," to occupy that space, and make Voyager's underside aerodynamic in case she had to enter a atmosphere.

Alternatively, again the shuttle was missing, and what we were seeing was the sliding hatch/hatches that closed when the shuttle was on a mission, the hatch would make it so the Voyager could land without the shuttle in place.

Non-canon sources from a Star Trek Magazine suggested that Voyager did have the Aeroshuttle, but that it was undergoing an overhaul at the time the ship was initially lost in the Badlands.

I'm tempted to agree with the "plug" theory, although the features on the underside look oddly like maneuvering thrusters...

As for the sliding cover, I don't think one was planned. According to the following draft animation that the producers pitched for the show, the Aeroshuttle simply pops out and flies off leaving a cartoon cutout:

http://www.robertbonchune.com/Video/VID_VGR_01.htm


So, what could I possibly put in its place?
  • Plain hull plating?
  • Additional sensors?
  • Additional phaser strip / torpedo turret?
  • Lower observation lounge window?

sojourner August 23 2012 04:04 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
Glass bottom swimming pool. "Swim among the stars".

Finn August 23 2012 04:57 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
If Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle, it won't have it.

Timo August 23 2012 06:45 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
I'd like to have something ugly down there, to highlight the fact that this is a change of plans, a last minute addition, and to create contrast with the otherwise smooth lines of the ship. I'm weird like that.

So, perhaps a protruding quantum torpedo turret la E-E, a clumsy and unwieldy weapon that might end up being more trouble than worth.

Or another type of deployable craft, but this time an uncrewed model - a Transformer-like, clickety-clack robotic device that would unfold after deployment into... Well, perhaps a floating observatory to be left behind at an interesting spot? Or a complex planetary survey base that soft-lands on a moon or an asteroid.

Timo Saloniemi

King Daniel Into Darkness August 23 2012 10:48 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
Quote:

What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
The show would have been completely different!:lol:

CorporalCaptain August 23 2012 11:09 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
Quote:

KingDaniel wrote: (Post 6845651)
Quote:

What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
The show would have been completely different!:lol:

Basically.

The idea of a plug is ridiculous, by the way. I guess the shuttle wasn't going to be ready until Tuesday?

No, what we see on Voyager herself is way too detailed for a "plug." The Drex Files photos show that the shuttle as it is on Voyager even has markings, which look like they might indeed be "Voyager" and "NCC-74656", as if it's ready to detach and move independently. Why put markings like that on a plug?

Besides, I won't believe that Janeway would have left DS9 without being shipshape, unless canon shoves that down my throat.

Rarewolf August 23 2012 11:13 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 6843416)
^^That's basically the rationalization that has since been provided in the novels for why we never saw the aeroshuttle.

We never saw the Captain's Yacht on the Enterprise D either, but there's nothing to say it wasn't there. :lol:

I doubt they would have made the outline so obviously the same as a Runabout, had they known when they started they'd never need to produce it. They kept their options open.

Timo August 23 2012 11:24 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
Quote:

The idea of a plug is ridiculous, by the way.
Real navies use "plugs" all the time. It just doesn't pay to create a smooth cover when a piece of equipment is removed as outdated or too expensive or because it never worked right. Generally, an angular piece of metal is welded on, and if the hole is of a funny shape, then so is the piece.

Quote:

Why put markings like that on a plug?
Yeah, doesn't make sense. But if it's instead a cover that's supposed to be there regardless of whether there's a shuttle behind that cover... Then it's merely fully consistent with how the lifeboats sit behind carefully labeled covers.

Quote:

I won't believe that Janeway would have left DS9 without being shipshape
This was an inaugural mission. Those virtually never feature the full gear, because there's plenty to test even without.

Quote:

We never saw the Captain's Yacht on the Enterprise D either, but there's nothing to say it wasn't there. :lol:
...Nowadays, and thanks to the reworking done in connection with the blu-ray transfer. Originally, the very first episode already cast serious doubt on there being a yacht there, as an energy transfer beam (according to dialogue, a phaser rigged funny) was fired from the general area. :vulcan:

Timo Saloniemi

CorporalCaptain August 23 2012 11:29 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 6845699)
Quote:

I won't believe that Janeway would have left DS9 without being shipshape
This was an inaugural mission. Those virtually never feature the full gear, because there's plenty to test even without.

Inaugural mission or not, Voyager was headed into danger in the Badlands and probable confrontation with the Maquis; I'm not buying a ship short of shipshape.

Rarewolf August 23 2012 11:45 AM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
Quote:

sojourner wrote: (Post 6844361)
Glass bottom swimming pool. "Swim among the stars".

I was just thinking the other day in the pool how amazing that would be to see that - swimming at warp speed.

Then I thought how utterly expensive it would be to film it!

Has it ever been done live action? You'd have to take yellow screens to a real pool, have to deal with the reflections in your VFX... be a nightmare.

The Wormhole August 23 2012 01:47 PM

Re: What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
 
Quote:

CorporalCaptain wrote: (Post 6845675)
Quote:

KingDaniel wrote: (Post 6845651)
Quote:

What if Voyager didn't have its aeroshuttle?
The show would have been completely different!:lol:

Basically.

The idea of a plug is ridiculous, by the way. I guess the shuttle wasn't going to be ready until Tuesday?

No, what we see on Voyager herself is way too detailed for a "plug." The Drex Files photos show that the shuttle as it is on Voyager even has markings, which look like they might indeed be "Voyager" and "NCC-74656", as if it's ready to detach and move independently. Why put markings like that on a plug?

Besides, I won't believe that Janeway would have left DS9 without being shipshape, unless canon shoves that down my throat.

Obviously when the model of Voyager was made the belief was that we would see the aeroshuttle at some point in the series. In fact, Marvel Comics even featured the aeroshuttle in their Voyager series in the 90s.

As for Janeway leaving without it, I doubt she had a choice. Starfleet wanted Voyager to investigate the disappearance of Chakotay's ship, and aeroshuttle aside Voyager was ready to go. Since the aeroshuttle wasn't considered necessary for that particular mission, the ship was sent on its way.

Quote:

Rarewolf wrote: (Post 6845681)
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 6843416)
^^That's basically the rationalization that has since been provided in the novels for why we never saw the aeroshuttle.

We never saw the Captain's Yacht on the Enterprise D either, but there's nothing to say it wasn't there. :lol:

In the case of the Captain's Yacht on the Enteprise D, there never was a need to explain why it wasn't seen. With the aeroshuttle they kind of do need to explain why they spent an entire episode decoted to building their own scout ship, and even went to the trouble of building another one when it was destroyed when a perfectly good scout ship should have been sitting lodged in the hull. So, "it wasn't there" is as good as anything.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.