The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Jaws on Blu-ray... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=185405)

BillJ August 17 2012 02:13 AM

Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Absolutely stunning. Glad I added this one to my collection. :techman:

indranee August 17 2012 02:22 AM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
What does it contain that you like? I might go for this one for my dad.

Starbreaker August 17 2012 03:08 AM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Just in time for Shark Week. Definitely not a coincidence. :lol:

BillJ August 17 2012 03:43 AM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Quote:

indranee wrote: (Post 6814421)
What does it contain that you like? I might go for this one for my dad.

I haven't had a chance to look at the special features, just the film.

Ugly Sweater August 17 2012 03:47 AM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 6814379)
Absolutely stunning. Glad I added this one to my collection. :techman:

Got my BD of it today, haven't watched it yet but look forward to it. An excellent, awesome, movie a great classic for all time.

I replaced the DVD in the 30th Anniversary case with the BD since the case is nicer with that nifty booklet.

Harvey August 17 2012 05:14 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
I saw a remastered print struck from the same source used for the Blu-Ray a couple months ago. It looked stunning. I already have the film on DVD, but when this comes down in price, I'll surely pick it up on Blu-Ray. Still a great movie.

Brikar99 August 17 2012 07:21 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 6816785)
I saw a remastered print struck from the same source used for the Blu-Ray a couple months ago. It looked stunning. I already have the film on DVD, but when this comes down in price, I'll surely pick it up on Blu-Ray. Still a great movie.

It was $17.99 at Best Buy this week. How much further down does it need to go?

Relayer1 August 17 2012 07:51 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
The last two Blurays I purchased were in a 2 for 5 offer. I am, however, cheap...

Does HD make the shark look more rubbery ?

Brikar99 August 17 2012 08:43 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 6817478)
The last two Blurays I purchased were in a 2 for 5 offer. I am, however, cheap...

Does HD make the shark look more rubbery ?

In a sense... I mean, let's face it, that shark is always going to "look fake" the same way that the movie is always going to look like it was shot in the 1970s. It's a product of its time. But I don't think the bluray makes the shark look worse by any stretch.

Ugly Sweater August 17 2012 09:04 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
I'm watching the BD right now and it looks beautiful. (No shots of Bruce yet where I'm at in the movie.) I love all the performances and characters in this movie. Robert Shaw is just brilliant in this movie and it's probably Richard Dreyfuss at his most Dreyfuss-ness.

PKerr August 17 2012 09:44 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Tis truly a classic but I dunno if I could bring myself to quadruple dip.

I vowed I would not replace my 400 plus VHS collection with DVD but that collection grew to 500+, when I converted to Blu-ray I vowed the same thing, I would only buy Blu-ray going forward with new movies.

I'll admit I have slipped a little over the past few years when I find great sales replacing TOS, the Matrix trilogy, Boxed sets of Alien, Predator, Rambo, Rocky, Die Hard and some of the more panoramic movies such as Saving Private Ryan, The Last Samurai, Braveheart, We were soldiers, The Patriot and a few others but that's about it.
I'd say I only have about 100 blu-ray movies older and new.

Meh, who knows, If I find it around the $10.00 range I might pick it up, I'm still waiting on Top Gun to drop down some more.

Admiral James Kirk August 17 2012 09:52 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
PKerr do you have Jurassic Park on Blu? The transfer was just breathtaking. I highly recommend picking that one up.

Harvey August 17 2012 09:58 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Quote:

Brikar99 wrote: (Post 6817313)
Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 6816785)
I saw a remastered print struck from the same source used for the Blu-Ray a couple months ago. It looked stunning. I already have the film on DVD, but when this comes down in price, I'll surely pick it up on Blu-Ray. Still a great movie.

It was $17.99 at Best Buy this week. How much further down does it need to go?

I'm unemployed, recently saw an excellent print, and already own this title on DVD. I'll wait for it to be 12.99 or less or to get it as a gift -- which is not to begrudge anyone for buying it now. The transfer is excellent as is the film.

PKerr August 17 2012 10:24 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Quote:

Admiral James Kirk wrote: (Post 6817901)
PKerr do you have Jurassic Park on Blu? The transfer was just breathtaking. I highly recommend picking that one up.

I owned the JP movies on VHS but to be honest (for me) I didn't enjoy them enough to even get the DVD's, that is to say, I wouldn't watch them over and over and over again.

I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy them tremendously on BR, especially since it has been quit a number of years since I've seen them but I wouldn't feel the need to "own' them again.

Brikar99 August 17 2012 10:37 PM

Re: Jaws on Blu-ray...
 
Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 6817934)
Quote:

Brikar99 wrote: (Post 6817313)
Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 6816785)
I saw a remastered print struck from the same source used for the Blu-Ray a couple months ago. It looked stunning. I already have the film on DVD, but when this comes down in price, I'll surely pick it up on Blu-Ray. Still a great movie.

It was $17.99 at Best Buy this week. How much further down does it need to go?

I'm unemployed, recently saw an excellent print, and already own this title on DVD. I'll wait for it to be 12.99 or less or to get it as a gift -- which is not to begrudge anyone for buying it now. The transfer is excellent as is the film.

Ahh, that'd do it. Sorry.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.