The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Fiction (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   August 2012 Challenge - Competition (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=184427)

GatorDASH August 7 2012 10:42 PM

August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Competition

The past couple weeks I have been really enjoyed watching the worlds finest athletes compete at the Olympics. I was also glad that Rush Limborg joined me in submitting a story in the July challenge to make it an actual competition (and a very close one). With that in mind, the theme of the August challenge is “Competition”. Competition can draw out the best in us in a quest for achievement or bring out the worst in us from a desperation to win. It can be friendly, or it can be brutal.

Write a Star Trek story about competition. You may define competition as one on one, team on team, nation on nation, or any way you like. You can write about anything from a Parrises Squares tournament to a race between the Romulans and Federation to control a new technology, as long as competition is central to the story. The specifics are the same as last month.

10,000 word count

May be any series, time period, etc.

Original characters, series, and the like are fine.

Deadline is August 31st.


I wish you all luck on this month's competition!

Alpha Flyer August 9 2012 06:17 PM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Hi there,

I'm new here, and don't know anything yet. If I were to write something for your challenge -- big IF, as I'm just coming off an 80k+ word monster (you can find it at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7994763/1/After_the_Ashes), have 2 short pieces in the works and another long one brewing in my subconscious -- where and how would I submit it?

Also, where do I find posted fanfic on this site? I don't have the time to comb through 10,000 threads ...

Thanks!

AF

Admiral2 August 9 2012 06:22 PM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Quote:

Alpha Flyer wrote: (Post 6777989)
Hi there,

I'm new here, and don't know anything yet. If I were to write something for your challenge -- big IF, as I'm just coming off an 80k+ word monster (you can find it at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7994763/1/After_the_Ashes), have 2 short pieces in the works and another long one brewing in my subconscious -- where and how would I submit it?

Post a story thread in this forum and add a link for it to this thread.

Quote:

Also, where do I find posted fanfic on this site? I don't have the time to comb through 10,000 threads ...
Dude, this is the Fan Fiction Forum and a bunch of threads below this one have story titles in their subject lines.

Work it out.

Alpha Flyer August 9 2012 07:30 PM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Quote:

Admiral2;6778016
Dude, this is the [B wrote:
Fan Fiction[/B] Forum and a bunch of threads below this one have story titles in their subject lines.

Work it out.

Thanks for the help (Dude?). I was -- perhaps naively -- hoping for something a bit more organized, like headings for different categories of fics (Voyager, Next Gen ...) As I said, I'm new hear, and a tad daunted by the gazillions of different threads.

Guess the absence of organization explains why I could't find such a thing, and I *will* have to trawl through hundreds of individual threads to figure out if a story might be of sufficient interest for me to read. When I have more time.

AF

Count Zero August 9 2012 08:14 PM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Usually, the first post of any thread at the very least should give you a good idea what it's about. Some have more pregnant titles and there's also the possibility to use tags although that hasn't really taken off. You can also use the board's search function if you're looking for something more specific. Just use the advanced search and limit the search to this forum. I hope that helps a little to disperse the confusion. :)

Bry_Sinclair August 9 2012 10:32 PM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
An interesting idea has started to form around this topic that I might try and knock out before the end of the month, if I can get settled on a few details.

Sandoval August 11 2012 04:16 PM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 6778016)
Dude, this is the Fan Fiction Forum and a bunch of threads below this one have story titles in their subject lines.

Work it out.

And people say I'm unfriendly to newbies...

Dude.

Talon Lardner August 12 2012 03:34 AM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Very cool contest, looks like I joined a great place to help me get writing more often!

Count Zero August 12 2012 03:35 AM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Well, I hope we'll see you around. :)

Rush Limborg August 19 2012 07:39 AM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
I have a question for Gator:

I'm working on a tale involving a certain triangle--a love triangle, if you will. It's ending under 10,000 words. Could that concept count as "competition"?

Rush Limborg August 19 2012 07:41 AM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Quote:

Talon Lardner wrote: (Post 6790232)
Very cool contest, looks like I joined a great place to help me get writing more often!

Absolutely! The prompts from these contests have made me write quite a few tales of my own. :)

GatorDASH August 19 2012 10:44 PM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Quote:

Rush Limborg wrote: (Post 6823343)
I have a question for Gator:

I'm working on a tale involving a certain triangle--a love triangle, if you will. It's ending under 10,000 words. Could that concept count as "competition"?

Yes! A competition of the heart is a great use of the prompt.

Rush Limborg August 20 2012 01:17 AM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Okay! I just need to "touch up" the beginning, as it were.... Shouldn't be too long. Thanks, mate! :)

Rush Limborg August 20 2012 07:36 PM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
AND...here we go!

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=185636

jespah August 27 2012 05:15 PM

Re: August 2012 Challenge - Competition
 
Only one entry?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.