The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Best twitter client? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=184412)

Mr. Laser Beam August 7 2012 09:51 PM

Best twitter client?

I'm kind of doing a 180 here - I have been thinking of jumping into the whole Twitter thing. I was wondering what is the most well thought of Twitter client among everyone here.

The ones I was looking at were:

- The stock Twitter app. It's free, and available for all my devices - iPad, iPhone, Mac OS X. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be able to sync across these devices (meaning, if I read a tweet on one of my devices, the other ones won't remember how much of it I've read).

- Twitteriffic. This is a bit pricey ($4.99 for the OS X app, and for the iPad/iPhone app if you don't want ads) but at least it can sync across all three via iCloud.

- Tweetbot. Unfortunately, NO OS X app at all (which is not exactly a dealbreaker, but it does suck). Is available for iPhone and iPad, but in separate versions (unlike the stock Twitter app and Twitteriffic which both have 'universal' ones) for $2.99 each.

So given this, I'm leaning towards Twitteriffic, but I just wanted to gauge opinions here too. Also, are there any other good Twitter clients that I haven't thought of? If so what are they?

Timby August 7 2012 10:01 PM

Re: Best twitter client?

If you're desperately needing syncing across multiple devices (honestly, it doesn't take that much effort to scroll to the last tweet you read -- I follow nearly 300 people and all I do in the morning is grab my phone, scroll down to the last tweet I saw before going to bed, and scroll up from there), Echofon will do the job -- it syncs across platforms. Free for ad-supported, I think it's $4.99 for ad-free.

For the best desktop client, I'd say it's TweetDeck (which is free, and now owned by Twitter).

I wouldn't spend money on any 3rd-party clients right now, though. Twitter has just instituted another tightening of its regulations for its API, which indicates another crackdown on third-party clients. Major third parties like HootSuite will likely still continue to have an API license, but Twitter's ecosystem is looking at a bit of an upheaval in the very near future. Tweetbot, Echofon, etc. -- Lord only knows where they'll be in two or three months.

PsychoPere August 8 2012 02:28 AM

I use Twitter's own app on my iPad and my Android OS phone. On my desktop and on my MacBook Air, I use the Echofon add-on for Firefox.

Mr. Laser Beam August 9 2012 11:06 PM

Do you have to use your real name when signing up for a Twitter account?

trampledamage August 10 2012 02:29 AM

As your username? no.

Mr. Laser Beam August 10 2012 02:58 AM

^ No , I don't mean your handle (what goes after the @ sign), I meant do you have to actually give them your real name. Because your followers can see that too, can't they?

trampledamage August 10 2012 04:21 AM

The bit your followers can see doesn't need to be your real name either.

I can't remember from the registration process whether at some point twitter needs your real name, but the profile doesn't need to contain it.

Mr. Laser Beam August 29 2012 09:27 PM

okay, I've got a twitter account now...may take awhile before I find something worth tweeting, though, so I think I'll just follow others for the moment. :D