The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=183575)

jefferiestubes8 July 30 2012 10:15 PM

zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
I remember when TOS-R was released on Blu-ray that there were a few threads about noticeable zippers, “stunt boots”, 5'o clock shadows and all sorts of things that the high definition now made very obvious.

Now for TNG-R let's discuss the tiny items that were on the live-action set and never noticeable on the standard definition masters.
A few have been mentioned already like the stunt doubles' hairpiece & scuff marks on the set floor under the viewscreen.
and as RobertScorpio mentioned:
Quote:

RobertScorpio wrote: (Post 3273947)
when you've seen an episode, oh, 100+ times, finding these matt-paintings or zippers or what other tricks they did, is fun...F U N...fun.

What else have you guys noticed on your 2nd or 3rd HD viewing of an episode you've seen dozens of times?

davejames July 30 2012 10:35 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
I'm noticing a lot more splotches and marks on the bridge carpet. Such as when Data falls to the floor in Justice.

And when Data pulls the chinese fingertrap off his finger in Last Outpost, you can clear see that the makeup has come off to reveal his normal skin color.

trekker670 July 30 2012 10:44 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
You can see the top of Transporter Room set in "Sins of the Father" in the scene where Kurn first arrives. You can clearly make out the bare 2x4's above the set.

BillJ July 30 2012 10:52 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
You can see some of the beige paint bubbling above the wood panels in later episodes.

inflatabledalek July 31 2012 08:03 AM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
Riker frequently looks like he needs a shave and his chest hair is barely contained by his uniform.

R. Star July 31 2012 08:19 AM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
Quote:

inflatabledalek wrote: (Post 6728420)
Riker frequently looks like he needs a shave and his chest hair is barely contained by his uniform.

Your powers of observation are excellent, sir. Though those chest hairs become belly hairs by season 7.

Indysolo July 31 2012 08:51 AM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
You can see Denise Crosby's mark in The Naked Now when she finds Geordi in the observation room.

Green Shirt July 31 2012 02:19 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 6728438)
Though those chest hairs become belly hairs by season 7.

I really need to stop eating at the computer. :scream:

trekker670 July 31 2012 02:32 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
This was probably noticable in the DVDs, but I noticed for the first time last night when they're doing a closeup on Picard in the Captain's chair, you can see the floor between the tactical station and the aft consoles and you can see a couple of thin (maybe an inch wide) black lines. I first thought they were some sort of cable or something, but after looking closer I believe its a track for the chairs that pull out from under the consoles. I've never noticed that before and had previously assumed they simply had wheels or legs and were taken out like you would any typical dining room chair.


*** Edit ***

Since this thread is more fun with pictures, here's what I was refering to:

Left of the Captain's Chair
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_669.jpg

To the right of Picard's head
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_657.jpg

Admiral Buzzkill July 31 2012 02:43 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
Yes, those were chair tracks.

Here's a fun thing: for the first couple of seasons the bridge carpet was continuous with the floor of the turbolifts - there was no gap to indicate that the turbolift floor was a separate construction from the bridge floor.

This was pointed out to a TNG artist on either Compuserve or GEnie during the third year of the show, and a dark strip was placed across the floor under the turbolift doors.

trekker670 July 31 2012 03:19 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
I do recall noticing the continuous carpet, but I thought that the strip was added at some point during the first season, in the blooper reel Jonathan Frakes is seen tripping over it IIRC.

trekker670 July 31 2012 08:36 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
This one's debatable, but I think you can see some sort of drapery or perhaps even a reflection of some equipment out the conference room windows. At first I thought it was a reflection in the windows, but it doesn't appear to change with the angle of the camera at all.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_069.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_070.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_048.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_050.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_047.jpg

BillJ July 31 2012 09:44 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
Quote:

trekker670 wrote: (Post 6731864)
This one's debatable, but I think you can see some sort of drapery or perhaps even a reflection of some equipment out the conference room windows. At first I thought it was a reflection in the windows, but it doesn't appear to change with the angle of the camera at all.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_069.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_070.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_048.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_050.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_047.jpg

Sure that isn't a reflection of the plant sitting back there?

trekker670 July 31 2012 09:55 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 6732392)
Quote:

trekker670 wrote: (Post 6731864)
This one's debatable, but I think you can see some sort of drapery or perhaps even a reflection of some equipment out the conference room windows. At first I thought it was a reflection in the windows, but it doesn't appear to change with the angle of the camera at all.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_069.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_070.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_048.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_050.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...nor_hd_047.jpg

Sure that isn't a reflection of the plant sitting back there?

Yeah, after looking closely, it's definitely some sort of production equipment, it looks like it could be a light as I can make out some sort of canister supported by metal rigging.

trekker670 August 8 2012 02:42 PM

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R
 
In "When the Bough Breaks" in the opening scene after the main credits you can see Patrick Stewart's mark taped on the floor.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.