The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Lost Girl (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=182594)

JD July 21 2012 10:52 PM

Lost Girl
 
Anyone else still watching?

Greg Cox July 21 2012 11:04 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
Religiously.

And, for the record, I would love to write a LOST GIRL novel . . . .

JD July 21 2012 11:08 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
I would love to read a Lost Girl novel.
I think the show has just gotten better as it's gone on. I can't wait to see where all of the stories are going as we tie up the season.

Christopher July 22 2012 12:58 AM

Re: Lost Girl
 
I have gotten rather fond of the show. I found it unimpressive at first, and quit watching for a while, but then I gave it a second chance and came to appreciate it a lot more as the underlying mythology started to unfold. I don't think the actors are anywhere near the most gifted performers around, but they've grown on me for the most part.

What disappoints me about the second season, though, is that it seems to have toned down the sexy stuff since the first season. There's still some of that occasionally, like a pretty skin-laden sex scene in last night's episode (in the US), but it's less common than it was before (and Syfy is no longer showing a "viewer discretion" warning before every act, and I'm not sure if that's because of a change in content or a change in network policy). It seems to have become less the erotic fantasy adventure series it was originally and become just a fantasy adventure series with occasional eroticism. And that seems... timid.

JD July 22 2012 08:53 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. It did seem tone itself down quite a bit after just the first few episodes.

RJDonner&Blitzen July 22 2012 09:50 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
I watch this show every week. What appeals to me about it (for one thing) is that it's sexy and erotic, but also corny and heartwarming. It's the kind of show I would do if I were to do a show. The cast is also pretty good, but Kenzi and Trick are fantastic.

I, also, have noticed that it has been toned down. I was wondering if that comes from the production end or the Sciffy censors. Hopefully the latter, since that would mean that the DVDs would be a bit spicier.

JD July 22 2012 10:05 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
Has anybody seen both the US and Canadian airings, to know if they made any changes?
This originally aired on the Canadian channel Showcase, and I don't know what kind of content they allow on there.
One other thing that I've liked about this is the Bo/Lauren relationship. It's nice to see a woman/woman relationship on a show like this that is a real relationship, and not just a source of forced "sexiness".

Greg Cox July 22 2012 11:05 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
Quote:

RJDiogenes wrote: (Post 6680990)
I watch this show every week. What appeals to me about it (for one thing) is that it's sexy and erotic, but also corny and heartwarming. It's the kind of show I would do if I were to do a show. The cast is also pretty good, but Kenzi and Trick are fantastic.
.

I wonder if a Lost Girl/Warehouse 13 crossover would be logistically possible? Can you imagine Kenzi and Claudia in the same scene?

RJDonner&Blitzen July 22 2012 11:10 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
^^ Hey, that would be a great match up. And they wouldn't have to worry about being in the same universe because the mythology of both shows would allow for visiting an alternate dimension.

Greg Cox July 22 2012 11:12 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
Quote:

RJDiogenes wrote: (Post 6681260)
^^ Hey, that would be a great match up. And they wouldn't have to worry about being in the same universe because the mythology of both shows would allow for visiting an alternate dimension.

And, tonally, they're probably a better fit than, say, Alphas and WH 13.

(Heck, H. G. Wells would feel quite at home in the world of LOST GIRL--and would probably hit on Bo and Dyson!)

Christopher July 22 2012 11:49 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 6681056)
One other thing that I've liked about this is the Bo/Lauren relationship. It's nice to see a woman/woman relationship on a show like this that is a real relationship, and not just a source of forced "sexiness".

What I love about the show is how completely matter-of-fact it is about Bo's pansexuality. When she makes out with/falls for a woman instead of a man, it's not a matter warranting any special attention or comment, it's every bit as routine. Same with that episode about helping the guy who'd lost his husband -- it wasn't called attention to, just treated as normal.


Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 6681266)
Quote:

RJDiogenes wrote: (Post 6681260)
^^ Hey, that would be a great match up. And they wouldn't have to worry about being in the same universe because the mythology of both shows would allow for visiting an alternate dimension.

And, tonally, they're probably a better fit than, say, Alphas and WH 13.

Not to mention Eureka and WH13. Putting them in the same universe makes no sense, since Eureka's plots have repeatedly revolved around time travel changing history, while WH13 has repeatedly been adamant, both before and after its Eureka crossovers, that changing history is impossible. And just in general, they don't fit because Eureka was a soft-SF show and WH13 is magic realism. And Alphas is a terrible fit with either of them. (I prefer to assume that they aren't really in the same universe, that there are just similar characters with the same names and appearances existing independently in separate fictional realities, like the way the Bruce Wayne of the '66 Batman sitcom is a completely different entity from the one in the Nolan movies.)

A Lost Girl/WH13 crossover might be more feasible, since they're both fantasy, but it would be a bit much to accept that we've never heard of the Fae in three (?) seasons of WH13 or never heard about mystical Artifacts in two seasons of LG. Although, yeah, I guess you could go the alternate-dimensions route. (Has LG established anything about whether history can be changed?) And while I don't find Kenzi as appealing as some evidently do, I would like to see a meeting of Bo and HG. (Although Trick and Artie comparing notes could be fun in a totally different way.)

Ood Sigma July 23 2012 03:07 AM

Re: Lost Girl
 
I haven't seen the US airings, but the second half of season 2 ramps up the plot aspect of the show so there isn't as much time for the erotic aspects. But it never goes away completely. Not sure how many episodes are left to air on SyFy, but you guys are all in for a treat.

Christopher July 23 2012 03:21 AM

Re: Lost Girl
 
We're a few episodes past the halfway point of season 2; the last one aired was episode 14, so there are 8 left.

Guy Gardener July 23 2012 03:39 AM

Re: Lost Girl
 
You'd have to wonder if Bo has made love to Dyson when he's wolfed out, or if she had no choice about if that's what happens to him when he's distracted by orgasms.

Worf2DS9 July 25 2012 05:04 PM

Re: Lost Girl
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 6676871)
I have gotten rather fond of the show. I found it unimpressive at first, and quit watching for a while, but then I gave it a second chance and came to appreciate it a lot more as the underlying mythology started to unfold.

The same for me as well. When it first aired on Showcase here in Canada, I think I watched the first couple of episodes, but it just didn't "click" with me and I gave it up. A month or so ago, Global-TV started airing it from the beginning and I decided to give it another try, and this time I enjoyed it quite a bit and have grown fond of the characters and mythology.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.