The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=182447)

Mr Silver July 20 2012 02:49 PM

Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
I am a massive fan of the Superman franchise and perhaps surprisingly, a lot of my fandom leans towards the live action adaptions rather than the comics.

However, I am familiar with the Superman comics and the established lore throughout the years. Now having recently picked up Lois and Clark on DVD (which I last saw when I was a kid and is still surprisingly good!) I'm reminded of the constant inconsistencies that arise whenever a comic book is made into a live action adaptation. The fact that Krypton is a blue planet with red continents is an example from the show - no big deal, but it goes against any previous incarnation of Krypton in the comics or indeed, the movies.

This then got me thinking about any MASSIVE plot holes throughout the Superman franchise and I arrived at a conclusion - Kryptonite.

Now you'll have to forgive my somewhat elementary knowledge of astrophysics, but I'm under the impression that celestial debris such as asteroids and meteors, etc cannot exceed the speed of light - therefore it is extremely unlikely that they would make it to our galaxy from Krypton's by the time Clark Kent has become Superman (or earlier depending on series or adaptation)

Now it's a given that Kal El's spaceship was designed to reach massive speeds far beyond the speed of light in order for Kal El to make it to Earth whilst he was still around toddler age and in most of the adaptations of Superman - Kal El leaves Krypton well before it explodes, so there is no chance of his spaceship dragging the Kryptonite within it's field (subspace Trek crossover? ;) ) This then brings us to Smallville...

A work of brilliance if I may say so myself, but mainly because Smallville takes place in contemporary times where orbital satellites, probes and galactic observation technology is in abundance. So we are given the meteor shower which was probably pieces of Krypton debris dragged by Kal El's ship (within the > c field) to Earth in order to cover up for the fact that an alien spacecraft was landing in rural Kansas. So with that in mind there is an explanation for the presence of Kryptonite within the Smallville series, but none for any other of the adaptations.

Anyone else?

Admiral_Young July 20 2012 03:26 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
The Donner films and "Superman Returns" clearly show Kal's spacecraft leaving Krypton shortly before Rao goes supernova and creating the blast (probably a gamma ray burst) that destroys Krypton. Especially in "Superman Returns" we see the debris and various amounts of Green K zoom past us and I assume...following the ship. "Smallville" attempted to tie-itself into the DonnerVerse and was heavily influenced by it as well.

Argus Skyhawk July 20 2012 03:47 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
Quote:

Admiral M wrote: (Post 6668069)
This then got me thinking about any MASSIVE plot holes throughout the Superman franchise and I arrived at a conclusion - Kryptonite.

Now you'll have to forgive my somewhat elementary knowledge of astrophysics, but I'm under the impression that celestial debris such as asteroids and meteors, etc cannot exceed the speed of light - therefore it is extremely unlikely that they would make it to our galaxy from Krypton's by the time Clark Kent has become Superman (or earlier depending on series or adaptation)

Or ever. It would take thousands if not millions of years for objects traveling at sub-light speeds to reach us from another galaxy. That's assuming that the debris from planet Krypton would even be blown fast enough to escape the gravity well of its own galaxy, which is unlikely.

Since one lightyear is about six trillion miles, and since even the closest solar systems to our own are multiple lightyears away, even if Krypton were located right here in our own Milky Way galaxy, by the time debris from Krypton reached us it would be so spread out that none of it would hit a tiny speck like the Earth.

In other words, you are correct. Out of all the scores of things that are unrealistic about the story of a man from space who can fly and shoot X-Rays from his eyes, the meteors from planet Krypton are definitely one of them.

Mr Silver July 20 2012 04:14 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
Quote:

Argus Skyhawk wrote: (Post 6668405)
In other words, you are correct. Out of all the scores of things that are unrealistic about the story of a man from space who can fly and shoot X-Rays from his eyes, the meteors from planet Krypton are definitely one of them.

:lol:

I'd have been much happier had they came up with some explanation such as there being a wormhole that bridged the Kryptonian galaxy with the Milky Way and that both Kal El and the shockwave of debris from Krypton traveled through said wormhole.

JarodRussell July 20 2012 04:18 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
The whole idea that only debris of his home planet would weaken Superman is kinda hilarious. I mean... why?



Kryptonite is something that was created during the destruction of his home planet. But it's a material that's created everywhere in the universe every time a star explodes. So the Kryptonite found on Earth is not from Krypton. Or something.

Mr Silver July 20 2012 04:29 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 6668669)
The whole idea that only debris of his home planet would weaken Superman is kinda hilarious. I mean... why?



Kryptonite is something that was created during the destruction of his home planet. But it's a material that's created everywhere in the universe every time a star explodes. So the Kryptonite found on Earth is not from Krypton. Or something.

Perhaps the creation of Kryptonite is dependent on the radiation from Rao coming into contact with the radioactive elements within the debris of Krypton itself, like Kryptonian rubidium coming into contact with gamma rays?

Admiral_Young July 20 2012 04:35 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
Pretty much. Kryponite is the radioactive remains of Krypton, specifically the ore form of it. The Superman version is purely fictional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryponite

ClayinCA July 20 2012 05:52 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
Quote:

Admiral M wrote: (Post 6668612)
Quote:

Argus Skyhawk wrote: (Post 6668405)
In other words, you are correct. Out of all the scores of things that are unrealistic about the story of a man from space who can fly and shoot X-Rays from his eyes, the meteors from planet Krypton are definitely one of them.

:lol:

I'd have been much happier had they came up with some explanation such as there being a wormhole that bridged the Kryptonian galaxy with the Milky Way and that both Kal El and the shockwave of debris from Krypton traveled through said wormhole.

If memory serves, this was the exact explanation used by DC Comics' Superman editors at least up until Crisis on Infinite Earths (and possibly even after that, I'm not sure) to explain how the hell so much Kryptonite ended up on Earth.

davejames July 20 2012 06:03 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
Well in the original comics I think Krypton was only meant to exist in a neighboring solar system or something (in fact in the radio show it was located within our own solar system).

It's not until later that Krypton was pushed back to being in some far off distant galaxy (or in the case of the Donner movies, almost another dimension). In that case, I think it was just assumed that pieces of kryptonite got caught up in the wake of Kal-el's spaceship as it entered the vortex/wormhole to Earth.

captcalhoun July 20 2012 07:14 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
i assumed Krypton was in our galaxy.

but there again, i shouldn't be surprised it's been changed since DC can't keep the same continuity for more than 10 years without having to fart it about.

Admiral_Young July 21 2012 12:02 AM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
The opening sequence of "Superman Returns" shows Clark's ship going into what I have always assumed to be a wormhole...but it could have been something else. I have long theorized that Krypton in the DonnerVerse is in the Andromeda Galaxy. In the comic book DCU/52'Verse I assume that Krypton is in our galaxy. I don't think this has ever been fully established though.

Venardhi July 21 2012 12:25 AM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
There is another solution of course: That the pod he was in kept him in stasis for thousands or millions of years.

SalvorHardin July 21 2012 03:10 PM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
As far as Krypton locations go, in Superman:Birthright the Andromeda Galaxy was stated as Krypton's location.

It has also been mentioned to be in the Milky Way and in a sector of space close to Earth, 50 light years away. Tomar-Re was also supposed to be the Green Lantern assigned to the Krypton section.

And it's been many years since I've seen the Donner movies but didn't they say little Kal's ship would travel through six galaxies to get to Earth? I guess that could mean it's either beyond Andromeda or even in one of the dwarf galaxies orbiting the Milky Way.

Mr Silver July 22 2012 01:45 AM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 6671600)
The opening sequence of "Superman Returns" shows Clark's ship going into what I have always assumed to be a wormhole...but it could have been something else.

Indeed, there is that possibility, but at the same time that may have just been a route that Superman discovered to speed up the time it takes travelling between Earth and Krypton.

Then again, perhaps the opening sequence was merely the Sol and Rao systems with a collection of random celestial phenomena filling the journey in between. The wormhole actually appears more like a black hole/gravitational anomaly, but who knows.

I love the Donner-verse movies, but I just couldn't accept the events depicted in those movies being written into Superman comic canon. It starts with Superman altering the rotation of Earth to turn back time (one of the lamest methods of time travel ever depicted in fiction), peaks with Zod and company using finger telekinesis and ends with Superman using "masonry vision" to rebuild the Great Wall of China.

The Donner-verse Superman gave Earth 1 Superman a run for his money in the powers department.

Admiral_Young July 22 2012 02:44 AM

Re: Live-Action Superman Mythology B%4ls$2!
 
One of the reasons why so much DonnerVerse stuff was written into the pre-52'Verse DCU was because Geoff Johns admired and previous worked for Richard Donner as an intern, and of course the two co-plotted the Last Son story which kicked off Johns Action Comics run.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.