The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   TIL... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=181573)

Holdfast July 11 2012 08:14 PM

TIL...

Today I learned...

1) ... that baking powder doesn't work so well after a couple of years of sitting in a cupboard.
2) ... "easy chocolate cake" becomes "slightly spongy easy pseudo chocolate brownies" when made with the aforementioned old baking powder.
3) ... at least that saves on the need/effort associated with making ganache!

So while I'm stuffing myself with cake/brownies, tell me: what did you learn today? :D

Deckerd July 11 2012 08:15 PM

Re: TIL...

I learned we're probably not in the matrix because my computer isn't projecting an image onto my face.

RoJoHen July 11 2012 08:17 PM

My neighbor's house is haunted (or just really shitty). In the last year and half, my next door neighbors have moved out 4 times.

Holdfast July 11 2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Deckerd wrote: (Post 6621442)
I learned we're probably not in the matrix because my computer isn't projecting an image onto my face.

Maybe it is, but you can't see it... because you're in the matrix... :wtf:

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 6621463)
My neighbor's house is haunted (or just really shitty). In the last year and half, my next door neighbors have moved out 4 times.

Before we go reaching for the paranormal playbook... how loud do you play your music at night? :D

Today I also learned that linking to a recipe for easy chocolate cake is capable of bringing the entire BBC website crashing down. Seriously, the minute since I posted this thread, the BBC site isn't working! 20+ minutes and counting... :lol:

RoJoHen July 11 2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Holdfast wrote: (Post 6621589)

Quote:

Before we go reaching for the paranormal playbook... how loud do you play your music at night? :D

I do not. At worst, they would have to put up with the sounds of Babylon 5 coming from my TV when I get home from work at 4am.

ManOnTheWave July 11 2012 08:44 PM

Apparently, the stereo controls on the steering wheel in my car will change the CD if my thumb holds the toggle button for a whole second. Owned the car for something like four years. Not a clue. :lol:

Vendikarr July 11 2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 6621604)
Quote:

Quote:

I do not. At worst, they would have to put up with the sounds of Babylon 5 coming from my TV when I get home from work at 4am.

That'll do it. Sinclair's monotone would certainly drive me out of the neighborhood.

Holdfast July 11 2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 6621604)
Quote:

Quote:

Londo has a lot to answer for...!

Quote:

ManOnTheWave wrote: (Post 6621628)
Apparently, the stereo controls on the steering wheel in my car will change the CD if my thumb holds the toggle button for a whole second. Owned the car for something like four years. Not a clue. :lol:

I love quirky little shortcuts like that. It's like unlocking a game achievement. :lol:

auntiehill July 11 2012 09:18 PM

...that the people at the end of the street have a SERIOUS hoarding problem. :eek:

B.J. July 11 2012 10:33 PM

That the manual override for my truck's headlights automatically coming on in the dark is located on the rear view mirror. ?!??? Seriously. I've had this truck for over 4 years, and it never occurred to me to look there for a frickin' *headlight* switch, especially since the switch to turn them on (but not off, apparently) is to the left of the steering wheel!

ITL July 12 2012 01:30 AM

Today I learned that digging out an old graphics card for the purpose of glorious multi-monitor goodness was an exercise in futility, as the bloody thing didn't work. I also learned that my memory isn't what it was, because I clearly shelved the card in the first place because the bloody thing didn't work.

And that this thread is an anagram of my username. :D

auntiehill July 12 2012 01:44 AM

^For a moment, I thought it was a thread about you that had been misspelled. :lol:

ITL July 12 2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

auntiehill wrote: (Post 6623110)
^For a moment, I thought it was a thread about you that had been misspelled. :lol:

I did too, for a couple of seconds. Then I realised there'd be no need for such a thread!

auntiehill July 12 2012 01:55 AM

^Well, there's no telling what you might be up to. ;)

Oh, and thanks to DAYoung, I learned that "schmick" means stylish or cool.

scotpens July 12 2012 08:35 PM

Last weekend I learned that the simple job of replacing a taillight bulb on a Ford Focus hatchback can turn into a three-hour project if some idiot on the assembly line didn't allow enough slack in the wires when the car was built.