The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ninja Turtles CGI cartoon on Nickelodeon this Fall (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=179707)

Chris3123 June 21 2012 08:11 PM

Ninja Turtles CGI cartoon on Nickelodeon this Fall

This show was originally announced months ago, but there's now finally a trailer. The trailer will premiere on TV during the season finale of The Legend of Korra on Saturday, but you can see it online now at Entertainment Weekly:

Trailer at Entertainment Weekly

Not too keen on the animation style, but I might be able to live with it if the show is good enough.

Cast:

Jason Biggs as Leonardo
Sean Astin as Raphael
Greg Cipes as Michelangelo
Rob Paulsen as Donatello

Never thought Paulsen would be voicing a Turtle again, though it's a different one this time.

Christopher June 21 2012 08:26 PM

Re: Ninja Turtles CGI cartoon on Nickelodeon this Fall

I thought that sounded like Cipes.

I'm not impressed. The animation looks very crude and cheap, and it seems to be trying to be more like the goofy '80s cartoon than the smarter '00s version.

Aldo June 22 2012 03:01 AM

I on the other hand am very impressed! Especially the remix of the classic Turtles theme. I don't know if I'm sold on Astin as Rapheal though.

Christopher June 22 2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Aldo wrote: (Post 6529465)
I don't know if I'm sold on Astin as Rapheal though.

He sounds like a blend of the voice of Rob Paulsen's Raphael with the tough-guy attitude of all the other screen Raphaels. I wonder why they didn't just give Paulsen his old role back, if that was what they were going for. He can certainly do an angry/tough characterization.

CorporalCaptain June 22 2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 6529480)
Quote:

Aldo wrote: (Post 6529465)
I don't know if I'm sold on Astin as Rapheal though.

He sounds like a blend of the voice of Rob Paulsen's Raphael with the tough-guy attitude of all the other screen Raphaels. I wonder why they didn't just give Paulsen his old role back, if that was what they were going for. He can certainly do an angry/tough characterization.

Perhaps because Sean Astin is a bigger star?

Trekker4747 June 22 2012 03:58 AM

Looks like the cheap low-grade animation you'd see in cartoons in the late 90's. Shit today's "Word World" has better CGI animation than it looks like this thing will have. Voice work doesn't inspire much hope either but the thing isn't likely designed to catch on to old fans of the turtles and more likely latch on to a new generation of young fans, which I'm sure it will easily do.

Owain Taggart June 22 2012 05:42 AM

Yeah, not terribly impressed especially with the animation. They could do so much better in that department. I was almost wishing this was only a prototype that they would end up refining later on. But if that's the real deal, yikes.

Agenda June 22 2012 06:50 AM

Wait...aren't they supposed to be aliens?

Chris3123 June 22 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Beyond Antares wrote: (Post 6530104)

You're thinking of the upcoming live-action movie. This thread is about the upcoming CGI cartoon show.

ETA: Wait, were you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell from text without a smiley. :shifty:

Trekker4747 June 22 2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Chris3123 wrote: (Post 6531919)
Quote:

Beyond Antares wrote: (Post 6530104)

You're thinking of the upcoming live-action movie. This thread is about the upcoming CGI cartoon show.

ETA: Wait, were you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell from text without a smiley. :shifty:

And the movie is being postponed with all of the pre-production staff having been laid off.

Admiral_Young June 22 2012 11:42 PM

I'm excited for this, despite the animation. While that is always an aspect of an CGI show that influences a potential watching decision, everything I've heard and seen about this project excites me. The action toys from the line coming later this year look fantastic as well! I'll be giving this a chance.

sonak June 23 2012 12:47 AM

michelangelo rules!

Starbreaker June 23 2012 12:53 AM

That's some crude animation.

Christopher June 24 2012 06:21 PM

They showed the promo during commercials in The Legend of Korra last night, and the animation looks a little better there than it did in the low-resolution online video. It's still very cartoony, though, and the designs are an acquired taste.

Admiral_Young June 24 2012 08:36 PM

It's supposed to look cartoony. I believe that they're trying to recapture the tone of the original cartoon with this reboot.