The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Borg (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=178342)

David F. Weisma June 6 2012 12:25 AM

Borg

Who thinks the Borg are the most awesome Trek villains ever? It might seem they are gone, but they could get a makeover like the Cylons did. The few scattered ships are too weak to try and assimilate other species by force, so they announce they've reformed, and only take volunteers. Then the Ferrengi help them start a cult ...

BillJ June 6 2012 12:41 AM

Re: Borg

:wtf:

Silvercrest June 6 2012 12:51 AM

:wtf:

-Brett- June 6 2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

David F. Weisma wrote: (Post 6451786)
Who thinks the Borg are the most awesome Trek villains ever? It might seem they are gone, but they could get a makeover like the Cylons did. The few scattered ships are too weak to try and assimilate other species by force, so they announce they've reformed, and only take volunteers. Then the Ferrengi help them start a cult ...

I know it's kind of a silly nitpick in the middle of the rest of the craziness, but why Ferengi?

RoJoHen June 6 2012 03:53 AM

Because the new, rebooted Borg are going to be comic relief?

sonak June 6 2012 04:36 AM

the new Borg cult are suddenly profit-motivated?

"we will add your capital to our own. Your investment portfolio will increase tenfold. Resistance is futile."

Enterprise is Great June 6 2012 05:24 AM

uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm...okayyyyyyyy....

slowly backing out of this weird thread...

bye!

Merry Christmas June 6 2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

David F. Weisma wrote: (Post 6451786)
Then the Ferrengi help them start a cult ...

We are the Borg, lower your trade barriers. We will add your production facilities, distribution network, and consumption of goods and services to our own.

Legislative regulatory constrains
are futile.

:)

Tiberius June 6 2012 09:53 AM

The Borg in a cult? Knocking at the door and asking you if you;ve found assimilation?

F. King Daniel June 6 2012 10:06 AM

We are the Caeliar. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

BORG QUEEN: FUUUUU-!:eek:

And so ended the Borg, in the fantastic Destiny trilogy.

Although, yes, reimagined Borg could be awesome. Using CG to replace or remove body parts (a lower jaw, part of an arm, part of the torso etc), and replace some with machinery would make them look far more scary than just wearing rubber over the top.

sonak June 6 2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

KingDaniel wrote: (Post 6453964)
We are the Caeliar. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

BORG QUEEN: FUUUUU-!:eek:

And so ended the Borg, in the fantastic Destiny trilogy.

Although, yes, reimagined Borg could be awesome. Using CG to replace or remove body parts (a lower jaw, part of an arm, part of the torso etc), and replace some with machinery would make them look far more scary than just wearing rubber over the top.

if by "fantastic" you mean silly, with a ridiculous Borg origin story. I wish they'd retcon that trilogy and use the Borg again.

F. King Daniel June 6 2012 04:14 PM

I thought it was an excellent origin story. Each to their own, I guess.

The entire novel line spins off from Destiny now. No way is it ever being retconned away!

BillJ June 6 2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

KingDaniel wrote: (Post 6454972)
I thought it was an excellent origin story. Each to their own, I guess.

The entire novel line spins off from Destiny now. No way is it ever being retconned away!

Please. When they need a sales boost, they will be trumpeting the return of the Borg, loud and proud.

Gary7 June 6 2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

sonak wrote: (Post 6452986)
the new Borg cult are suddenly profit-motivated?

"we will add your capital to our own. Your investment portfolio will increase tenfold. Resistance is futile."

LOL, but I'd have worded it as "OUR investment portfolio will benefit from yours."

Or, "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. We will add your distinctive financial capital to our own, to increase our portfolio. Your only hope is to open a Borg IRA. Resistance is futile."
;)

horatio83 June 6 2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

KingDaniel wrote: (Post 6453964)

Sure but the best Borg stories (Q Who, Best of Both Worlds and I, Borg) worked well although they did not look particularly scary and FC worked not because but in spite of their zombie looks.
I am not a fan of the shift from the Borg as more of an ideological enemy to this Cronenbergian "assimilation is so horrible" stuff.