The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Star Trek Vanguard: In Tempest's wake by Dayton Ward (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=177607)

timothy May 29 2012 11:11 PM

Star Trek Vanguard: In Tempest's wake by Dayton Ward

I found this on my nook color preorder is Oct. 2, 2012. There is no cover and no information on the book yet.

Is this going to be book # 11?:vulcan::vulcan:

Sho May 29 2012 11:14 PM

Re: Star Trek Vanguard: In Tempest's wake by Dayton Ward

Previous thread: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=165232

Dayton on Twitter:

Quote:

I will explain when I get some time, but the label is supposed to be "TOS" rather than "Vanguard.

timothy May 30 2012 12:48 AM

Thanks for that. Also found out simon and schuster has it for $4.99.

JD May 30 2012 05:47 AM

I'm pretty sure Dayton Ward said either here or on Facebook that it is a TOS novel(la?), but some elements of it will follow up on the Vanguard story after Storming Heaven.

Defcon May 30 2012 09:47 PM

From Dayton's latest monthly writing wrap-up on his blog:

Quote:

In Tempestís Wake Ė A ďcodaĒ of sorts for the Star Trek: Vanguard novel series, which recently was given its grand finale in the form of the kick-ass book Storming Heaven by series co-creator David Mack. Though I admit I was reluctant at first to take on such a project, I was able to work with my editor to develop an idea I thought might work, told primarily from the points of view of non-Vanguard characters. I delivered the manuscript to my editor on April 30th, and received a request for some minor tweaking just today. Iíll have that back to my editor in a day or so, and then Iíll wait for copyedits.

RonG June 1 2012 09:05 PM

While I'm sure it'll be well-written, I have to say that (according to currently-known details about this novella), I'm kind of disappointed with the decision to revisit VAN so soon.

Authors and editors have been praised due to the decision to give the VAN series a proper finale, making it a complete story with beginning, middle and end. Less than a year later, we have another "ending" / epilogue, etc.

Just seems to me a bit of "one more trip to the well"...

Sho June 2 2012 02:18 PM

^ Well, this and James Swallow's TNG book mark a return to ebook-exclusive novella releases. It's understandable they want to start things of with a bang, and an unexpected coda to Vanguard certainly qualifies. As a fan of the SCE series I'm in support of their agenda there ...

Christopher June 2 2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Sho wrote: (Post 6434728)
^ Well, this and James Swallow's TNG book mark a return to ebook-exclusive novella releases. It's understandable they want to start things of with a bang, and an unexpected coda to Vanguard certainly qualifies.

Err, the return to eBook-exclusive novellas started off last year with Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within. I know, because I wrote the darn thing.

Sho June 2 2012 03:32 PM

^ Obviously that makes you a biased source! Or something.

I'll go hide now ...

wahwahkits June 2 2012 06:35 PM

Bit of a shitty thing to do making it e-book only, a lot of people like myself have faithfully bought all the Vanguard books and now won't get to read this.

cdgodin June 2 2012 06:52 PM

If you have a computer, iPhone, or anything like that, you CAN read it. You just download a free application (Kindle, Nook, or even iBooks, if you want to) for your device and then pay for the story. It's not that hard.

wahwahkits June 2 2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

cdgodin wrote: (Post 6435634)
If you have a computer, iPhone, or anything like that, you CAN read it. You just download a free application (Kindle, Nook, or even iBooks, if you want to) for your device and then pay for the story. It's not that hard.

Where could I download the free app to read on my pc?

cdgodin June 2 2012 07:29 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311 Right there.

Christopher June 2 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

wahwahkits wrote: (Post 6435664)
Where could I download the free app to read on my pc?

The same places you can buy the e-books themselves.

wahwahkits June 2 2012 07:59 PM

^^ thanks guys