The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=176428)

Trekker4747 May 19 2012 12:06 AM

Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
So, anyone brave going to see this yet?

Does it have what it's going to take to knock Avengers off #1?

Does it live up to the mythology of the game?

Star Wolf May 19 2012 12:24 AM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
Knock off the Avengers, not a chance. Live up to the game, mission accomplished. It was much better then I hoped for. Yes a battleship gets in on the action manned by vets, sort of like The Segal movie Under Siege. There is a night battle sequence which plays out like the game. While there is no "you sunk my battleship" we get a close quote.

Trekker4747 May 19 2012 12:33 AM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
Yeah, I'm sure it doesn't have a chance hell of even touching Avengers. ;)

I'll probably go see this tomorrow night.

Cutter John May 19 2012 12:47 AM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
I'll pass. This has Independence Day 2 written all over it.

Star Wolf May 19 2012 12:55 AM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
Quote:

Cutter John wrote: (Post 6363574)
I'll pass. This has Independence Day 2 written all over it.

Think more Battle:LA without the realistic battle tactics. There is no President leading a fighter wing. The previews are misleading in the battle scenes and humor content

Vendikarr May 19 2012 01:53 AM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
It was better than I expected. Somewhat predictable, and I could have done without the screw up needing to ask the admiral's permission to marry the daughter.

I did like the vet finding his 'fight' again. Predictable, but fun.

I gave it a B-, but I have to say there's something cool about a battleship firing a broadside salvo into an alien ship.

Admiral2 May 19 2012 02:10 AM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
I've just seen it.

It's stupid. It's not even "good stupid." The story is just idiotic, even for an alien shoot-em-up movie. Not only that, but it's like the writers packed in every navy war movie cliche they could think of, and it was just bad luck that they only remembered the cheesiest ones.

"But A2," you say, "you sang the praises of Battle:LA and it had just as many cliches!" True, but as already mentioned it had more accurate battle scenes, which were also more intense...and the aliens were a hundred times more interesting. The bad guys here were like the Hirogen...without the personality.

The only reason I gave it a "C" is because I'm a naval enthusiast, and I just like to see real US Navy ships maneuvering around. Of course, I was a little dismayed in the first act when the DDG's trapped in the bubble only fought back with their dinky 5 inchers. I'm like "What part of GUIDED MISSILE Destroyer do you not understand?" Then they remembered for the Battleship game scene and started shooting anti-ship Tomahawks like that was all they were carrying. (Burkes usually carry 6-8.)

Then they turned Missouri from a museum to a functioning battlewagon in like five minutes. Not even Bill Adama could do that. Not even the crew of Space Battleship Yamato could do that. And then they just start lugging around a shell the weight of a Volkswagen.

Whatever. The full Iowa-class broadside was cool.

Star Wolf May 19 2012 04:06 AM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 6363763)

"But A2," you say, "you sang the praises of Battle:LA and it had just as many cliches!" True, but as already mentioned it had more accurate battle scenes, which were also more intense...and the aliens were a hundred times more interesting. The bad guys here were like the Hirogen...without the personality.

.

My Voyager memory is kind of hazy. Are you referencing the aliens code of conduct which allowed John Paul Jones to survive when the rest of the squadron was lost? It reminded me of the predator movies and their hunter ethics. Until the cops showed up to say the roads to the mountain was cut I could not understand with all the red and green codes why the highway was blown up but then they were acting like no collateral damage whould be allowed or surrendering prisoners should be harmed.

Aldo May 19 2012 06:32 AM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
Well I got a free ticket to this today. I wasn't really planning on seeing it, but since it's free I'm gonna go take a look.

Dimesdan May 19 2012 08:55 AM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
I'm sure this has been out here for a month or so, can't say I want to see it.

Admiral2 May 19 2012 02:39 PM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
Quote:

Star Wolf wrote: (Post 6364087)
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 6363763)

"But A2," you say, "you sang the praises of Battle:LA and it had just as many cliches!" True, but as already mentioned it had more accurate battle scenes, which were also more intense...and the aliens were a hundred times more interesting. The bad guys here were like the Hirogen...without the personality.

.

My Voyager memory is kind of hazy. Are you referencing the aliens code of conduct which allowed John Paul Jones to survive when the rest of the squadron was lost? It reminded me of the predator movies and their hunter ethics. Until the cops showed up to say the roads to the mountain was cut I could not understand with all the red and green codes why the highway was blown up but then they were acting like no collateral damage whould be allowed or surrendering prisoners should be harmed.

The Hirogen were Predator-wannabes that at least talked. The Battleship aliens were Iron Man-wannabes that didn't talk and didn't like bright light like Gremlins. Don't think too hard about it.

And there's nothing ethical about the Predators' actions. They don't attack unarmed and/or non-aggressive prey. That doesn't mean they give a damn about collateral damage. They just find such targets boring.

Star Wolf May 19 2012 02:53 PM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 6365164)
Quote:

Star Wolf wrote: (Post 6364087)
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 6363763)

"But A2," you say, "you sang the praises of Battle:LA and it had just as many cliches!" True, but as already mentioned it had more accurate battle scenes, which were also more intense...and the aliens were a hundred times more interesting. The bad guys here were like the Hirogen...without the personality.

.

My Voyager memory is kind of hazy. Are you referencing the aliens code of conduct which allowed John Paul Jones to survive when the rest of the squadron was lost? It reminded me of the predator movies and their hunter ethics. Until the cops showed up to say the roads to the mountain was cut I could not understand with all the red and green codes why the highway was blown up but then they were acting like no collateral damage whould be allowed or surrendering prisoners should be harmed.

The Hirogen were Predator-wannabes that at least talked. The Battleship aliens were Iron Man-wannabes that didn't talk and didn't like bright light like Gremlins. Don't think too hard about it.

And there's nothing ethical about the Predators' actions. They don't attack unarmed and/or non-aggressive prey. That doesn't mean they give a damn about collateral damage. They just find such targets boring.

I was thinking about Predator 2 when he let a pregnant Maria Conchita Alonso go. I just saw the battleship aliens as soldiers following their laws of war. They attacked the highway to cut off the mountain, after which they let civilians alone in the rest of the world. When the John Paul Jones with cold guns turned off of her ramming attack she was let go. When Missouri made her turn to give a broadside they also hesitated, which did bite them in the ass.

od0_ital May 19 2012 04:10 PM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
C

Saw it for free at the midnight screenin' Thursday. I was one of about a dozen folks in the theater. To give y'all an idea...the midnight shows for The Hunger Games and The Avengers sold out the buildin' (eight screens), while Battleship couldn't fill a row in one screen. And I wasn't the only employee in there!

So, yeah, no chance of takin' out The Avengers at the box office.

As for the movie itself, it wanted to be Transformers so bad, ya could taste it. And the good guys only succeed because of stupid mistakes the bad guys make. First, they stop firin' on a known threat just 'cause it turns away, and second, one of the foot soldiers gives the scientist dude the equipment he needs to contact the ship from the island. Literally hands it to him and lets him go!

Also, I gotta wonder why the rollin' smart bombs didn't register a kid with a baseball bat as a threat...

Star Wolf May 19 2012 08:56 PM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 6363763)

Then they turned Missouri from a museum to a functioning battlewagon in like five minutes. Not even Bill Adama could do that. Not even the crew of Space Battleship Yamato could do that. .

Come to think of it, that was the Independence Day moment, where the old veterans on Missouri join the young sailors instead of veteran pilots volunteering to fly the F-18s that came out of nowhere. Yet then we have the weirdness of being at Pearl Harbor and no active duty shore sailors stepping up with the squadron survivors to join in this battle like the disabled soldier on the mountain did. Thinking about it now, plot points aside, the feeling was more Armageddon then Independence Day or Battle:LA

Mr. Adventure May 19 2012 09:08 PM

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda
 
Who needs this when Syfy has American Warships on tonight. At least they're timely with their mockbusters.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.