The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Grant Morrison thinks Batman is gay! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=174307)

stj April 29 2012 12:39 AM

Grant Morrison thinks Batman is gay!

On the one hand, it would finally explain the tights.

On the other hand, where's the glitter?

But to be trivial instead of making obvious jokes, it seems like an interesting topic for me to read others' reactions.

Here's the link: http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/ba...grant-m/266926

PS No, I did not correctly quote Mr. Morrison! This is the internet, for crissakes.

Set Harth April 29 2012 12:50 AM

Re: Grant Morrison thinks Batman is gay!

I never understood the insinuation that Batman and Robin were gay.

I mean, you got two guys named Dick and Bruce who live together, dress in tights, and slide down a pole all day.

What's gay about that?

T'Girl April 29 2012 12:56 AM

He doesn't really seem to back up his assertion. I only occasional read batman comics, but the character never has seemed to me to be eithter homo- or bi-sexual. If anything Wayne comes off as almost completely celibate, his obsession with fighting crime replacing his sex drive.

My viewpoint.

:)

scotpens April 29 2012 12:59 AM

Hardly an original idea. Ever hear of Dr. Frederic Wertham?

Wiki: Homosexuality in the Batman Franchise

SG-17 April 29 2012 01:01 AM

Didn't he date Talia for a while in the comics and Diana in the DCAU?

Hound of UIster April 29 2012 01:02 AM

That his entire point. His relationship with the Robins and Alfred last longer than with any women even with Talia who is Damien's mother.

SG-17 April 29 2012 01:08 AM

But his relationship with Alfred was that of a son and his adopted father and with Robin a father and his adopted son.

I don't see how people could think otherwise, at least in the modern age of comics.

shivkala April 29 2012 01:10 AM

And, as of recently, Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman. In fact, Batman Incorporated's first issue implies they have sex before heading out on a mission. At least, that's my interpretation of the scene in which Bruce is lifting weights in his underwear and Selina, also in underwear and a sportsbra (and boots!) straddles him and meows at the idea of having some free time before having to head out.

And while some might point to the more recent and overt scene from Catwoman #1, I use Batman Incorporated as an example because it was written by Grant Morrison, himself.

I chalk it up to Morrison not meaning "gay" as literal, but more figurative (though the idea of using the term "figurative" in regards to a piece of fiction boggles my mind). As was pointed out, he's not the first to suggest that some may find something sexually deviant about dressing up as a hero and fighting crime.

Admiral James Kirk April 29 2012 02:59 AM

I've never bought the idea of Batman being gay for even a second. On the other hand I think the Joker is flaming.

Hound of UIster April 29 2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

SG-17 wrote: (Post 6258412)
But his relationship with Alfred was that of a son and his adopted father and with Robin a father and his adopted son.

There were five robins. Funny how the female one got kicked out barely a few weeks in.

SG-17 April 29 2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Hound of UIster wrote: (Post 6258901)
Quote:

SG-17 wrote: (Post 6258412)

There were five robins. Funny how the female one got kicked out barely a few weeks in.

For the first three Robins that doesn't change what I said. I don't know enough about Brown to say anything, but Robin 5 is his biological son.

OdoWanKenobi April 29 2012 04:13 AM

Well, that explains this at least:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...fzurenarrh.jpg

nightwind1 April 29 2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

SG-17 wrote: (Post 6258388)
Didn't he date Talia for a while in the comics and Diana in the DCAU?

Not just date Talia. Damien Wayne, the current Robin, is the son of Bruce Wayne and Talia al'Ghul.

sidious618 April 29 2012 04:40 AM

People always concentrate on Batman and Robin being some sort of gay couple when Batman is clearly fucking Alfred.

JD April 29 2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Admiral James Kirk wrote: (Post 6258886)
I've never bought the idea of Batman being gay for even a second. On the other hand I think the Joker is flaming.

I could almost see the Joker being gay. Do we ever get any indication in the comics that he returns Harley's feelings? I know in most of the stories I've seen in B:TAS and the Arkham game she's obsessing over him, but he seems more interested in screwing (in a non-sexual way) with Batman and the other good guys.
As for Batman, I knew that was a joke that's been around awhile now, but I didn't realize anyone really thought that about him.