The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Why was the last episode of DS9 so incredibly awful? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=173347)

ElimGarak April 21 2012 04:56 PM

Why was the last episode of DS9 so incredibly awful?

a show with such fantastic writing ends with such a contrived pile of garbage - why?!?!

MrBorg April 21 2012 05:14 PM

Re: Why was the last episode of DS9 so incredibly awful?

Quote:

ElimGarak wrote: (Post 6217228)
a show with such fantastic writing ends with such a contrived pile of garbage - why?!?!

I assume you are referring to the "Satan vs. Jesus" thing between sisko and dukat, and I agree.

JustKate April 21 2012 05:29 PM

Wow. I love the ending. It's so...epic! Different strokes...

Luke Sutton April 21 2012 05:39 PM

Gotta love this ending, probably my favorite and often considered the best.

Ian Keldon April 21 2012 05:48 PM

Definitely the best Trek series ender of all.

MacLeod April 21 2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Well thats a broad generalisation of the episode, do you have specifics that you didn't like?

JustKate April 21 2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Ian Keldon wrote: (Post 6217384)
Definitely the best Trek series ender of all.

I'm not sure I'd go that far - "All Good Things" is probably my favorite. But DS9's was fantastic as well.

Course when we say "best" ender...there are really only three, right? TOS didn't really have an "ender" - it just ended. I don't know about ENT, though.

gazomg April 21 2012 11:43 PM

As the show was ending I knew something unconventional was needed.

Never really liked the whole bajor religion thing to begin with, such dull people the bajorans, as for the ending it was as bad as I had expected it would be, but ending a show is always tough.

Kira staying was the right choice in my opinion as was ezri , quark and bashir, just as o brien , odo and worf moving on.
I think it finished great EXCEPT for this whole sisko dukat nemisis thing.
The writers producers and directors etc wanted dukat as the arch villian, not the dominion and maybe its me but dukat was far less evil than the dominion, so this sisko dukat thing was always gonna be the crux of the ending to them and while I never cared for the ending on that issue everything else finished up perfect .

T'Girl April 22 2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

JustKate wrote: (Post 6218644)
Course when we say "best" ender...there are really only three, right? TOS didn't really have an "ender" - it just ended.

Both TOS and TNG had similar ending, when we last see them, both Enterprises are sailing away toward their next mission, which is my favorite way to end a series.

Voyager completed it "mission," by arriving back at Earth, job done.

Sisko paid the price the Prophets said he would have to pay, in Sacrifice of Angels. Living up to their name of "Prophets."

Would someone please tell me what the hell to last episode of Enterprise was about?

:)

Nightdiamond April 22 2012 12:04 AM

Everything in it was great up until the comic book style ending. It was just too corny for me. Much better than Voyager's and Enterprise's ending, but a bit too much.

MacLeod April 22 2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 6218770)
Quote:

JustKate wrote: (Post 6218644)
Course when we say "best" ender...there are really only three, right? TOS didn't really have an "ender" - it just ended.

Both TOS and TNG had similar ending, when we last see them, both Enterprises are sailing away toward their next mission, which is my favorite way to end a series.

Voyager completed it "mission," by arriving back at Earth, job done.

Sisko paid the price the Prophets said he would have to pay, in Sacrifice of Angels. Living up to their name of "Prophets."

Would someone please tell me what the hell to last episode of Enterprise was about?

:)

Wasn't it about the creation of the Coalition of Planets, I do seem to recall they made an episode of TNG set on the holodeck of the Ent-D with a recreation of events circa 2161 called "These are the Voyages" after this story however.

DS9forever April 22 2012 12:18 AM

Didn't one of the writers say something like "even Shakespeare would have had a hard time writing the end of Deep Space Nine"?

I don't think any television series finale pleases all fans, but "What You Leave Behind" was/is a great sendoff for DS9.

Dukhat April 22 2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

While there were certain aspects of the finale I did not like, I would hardly call it a "contrived pile of garbage." However, unlike your vague generalization, I will list the things I didn't like.

1. I really did not like the reuse of battle footage from a previous episode for the "final battle." I felt it was an incredibly cheap move, especially for the series finale.

2. The whole "Sisko abruptly leaving to go die in a fire cave with Dukat" thing was totally contrived. If they spent more time on that scene, it might have worked better, but it felt like it was just thrown in at the last minute.

3. Damar's death was also very contrived.

Other than those three points, the finale was just fine.

Quote:

MacLeod wrote: (Post 6218818)
Wasn't it about the creation of the Coalition of Planets, I do seem to recall they made an episode of TNG set on the holodeck of the Ent-D with a recreation of events circa 2161 called "These are the Voyages" after this story however.

That is actually quite funny.

Jono April 22 2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Dukhat wrote: (Post 6219829)
Quote:

While there were certain aspects of the finale I did not like, I would hardly call it a "contrived pile of garbage." However, unlike your vague generalization, I will list the things I didn't like.

1. I really did not like the reuse of battle footage from a previous episode for the "final battle." I felt it was an incredibly cheap move, especially for the series finale.

I'd argue against calling it a "cheap move". Just because it's the last episode doesn't mean they have an bottomless money pit to call on.

I have 3 gripes with the final as well.

First, is to do with the reused battle footage. I don't think all the reused footage was bad. The only stuff that was out of place was the Sacrifice of Angels footage, you cut that out and the new and old footage gels far better.

Second, there should have been a scene with Ben and Jake after he joined the Prophets. I don't think you'd lose anything with the final scene with Jake looking out at the wormhole if they did have a chat before hand.

Third, the lack of Jadzia in the flashback. As I understand it there were problems due to them previously using her image earlier in the season. It would have been nice if something could have been figured out.

Other than those 3 things I enjoyed the finale.

M April 22 2012 11:06 AM

I guess I must be the only one who honestly never really noticed any reused battle footage in the finale. Maybe it's because I don't really care for battle scenes in general to begin with. And to be honest, even with the knowledge that there are in fact reused shots, they don't really bother me at all. I guess I'm just wired differently.

As for the finale itself; it's not bad, but I was never a big fan of it. I don't know why, but somehow it feels disconnected.