The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS** (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=173086)

Captain Craig April 20 2012 05:07 AM

AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

It's finally here, the big moment that Marvel Studios has been building towards since the founding and implementation of their film slate in 2006. It began with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk in 2008. Iron Man is the studios highest grosser to date.
Followed by Iron Man 2 in 2010 which opened huge and is the current highest opener for the studio at $133m.
In 2012 the studio added more pieces to the puzzle with Thor and Captain America.

Now, this May(earlier in some places) Marvel Studios in conjunction with Disney bring you Earth's Mightiest Heroes: The Avengers!!

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7...vieposter1.jpg

The film opens next week in a number of European markets and the embargo for reviews is lifted as of 4/20 leading up to opening night in France, UK and other select markets on 4/26. The film has had it's global premiere and debuts in North America on May 4. I'll try to post as many as I can find.

Quote:

Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow answer the call to action when Nick Fury, director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., initiates a daring, globe-spanning recruitment effort to assemble The Avengers team to defeat an unexpected enemy threatening global safety and security. Despite pulling together the ultimate dream team, Nick Fury and longtime confidant Agent Coulson must find a way to convince the Super Heroes to work with, not against each other, when the powerful and dangerous Loki gains access to the Cosmic Cube and its unlimited power.
THE AVENGERS

Rotten Tomatoes
Yahoo! Movies
Metacritic

FYI-The poll is public.

The Avengers is tracking to open in the upwards realm of $150 million but $125m is the lowest I've seen. Should open big. The year 2012 has been good and 3 weeks out from it's North American release The Hunger Games was only tracking in the 120 realm and that blew up so a repeat could happen here as well!!

Skywalker April 20 2012 06:08 AM

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

sojourner April 20 2012 06:26 AM

Jesus, do we really need 5 Avengers threads?

Turtletrekker April 20 2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

sojourner wrote: (Post 6211006)

Actually, this now makes six.;):lol:

This thread, the movie build-up thread, cast Avengers 2, Avengers :Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 2, Heroic Age/Avengers and Avengers vs X-Men.

However, with the grading thread up, the build-up thread can probably be closed soon.

Also, the "Heroic Age" thread is more of a general Marvel thread than specifically Avengers and could use a name change.

OdoWanKenobi April 20 2012 06:47 AM

7 reviews in at RT, and we're at 100% :D

captcalhoun April 20 2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Turtletrekker wrote: (Post 6211015)
Quote:

sojourner wrote: (Post 6211006)

Actually, this now makes six.;):lol:

This thread, the movie build-up thread, cast Avengers 2, Avengers :Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 2, Heroic Age/Avengers and Avengers vs X-Men.

However, with the grading thread up, the build-up thread can probably be closed soon.

Also, the "Heroic Age" thread is more of a general Marvel thread than specifically Avengers and could use a name change.

considering one of those is about a cartoon and two are about the comics, that's only 3 about the movie and one's about the sequel so it's not that bad.

Ian Keldon April 20 2012 08:31 AM

It would seem that the Joss is with us... :D

Procutus April 20 2012 08:43 AM

Hard to believe we're down to just two weeks until May 4!

:bolian:

DAYoung April 20 2012 09:17 AM

Here's a (very positive) review from Science Fiction World: http://sciencefictionworld.com/films...w-sort-of.html

I agree with the general gist of it. Very enjoyable film.

Admiral_Young April 20 2012 09:34 AM

No offense, but isn't two weeks kind of still early for the official thread?

Cinemablend gives it four and a half out of five stars. That's about as high a rating that I've ever seen from them.

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/T...gers-5829.html

Also Bleeding Cool was overwhelming positive but it addresses specific things, no major spoilers but I kind of wish I didn't read it for one particular thing.

captcalhoun April 20 2012 10:46 AM

it opens on the 27th in many overseas territories including the UK and Australia, so a week before that isn't that far in advance. i'm seeing it on the 9th with my sister when she's home. i was going to go twice and see it on the 27th, but decided to save the money since my sister's paying for us to see it.

trekkiebaggio April 20 2012 10:53 AM

Empire gave it 4 stars, IGN said it's awesome.

I'm going to see it next Thursday, might even go see it more than once.

DAYoung April 20 2012 11:01 AM

IGN's right. It's awesome. Gripping action, fleshed-out characters, genuine laugh-out-loud humour, and it just looks fantastic.

Joss Whedon could've failed in so many ways. But - true to his wunderkind reputation - he's surpassed my expectations.

I'll be watching it again, soon.

Captain Craig April 20 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

captcalhoun wrote: (Post 6211558)
Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 6211390)
offense, but isn't two weeks kind of still early for the official thread?

It opens on the 27th in many overseas territories including the UK and Australia, so a week before that isn't that far in advance.

I noted what captcalhoun has in the OP for this thread. We are a global BBS and the buildup thread was for just that, buildup. It's a week out from it's first initial wide international release and reviews will be hitting from those markets now that the embargo is lifted. So for reviews and any who might attend a sneak show in those areas the proper place is a review/grade thread, not the build up cause for them it's now here.

Captain Craig April 20 2012 02:26 PM

LiveForFilms.com
Quote:

If you hadnít guessed it, I LOVED The Avengers, it was everything I had hoped it would be and so much more. I donít do star ratings, but if I did this would be an easy 5 out of 5. I was blown away by it, as was the rest of the screening audience. Iíve been to a few screenings but never have I seen and heard so much enthusiasm as at The Avengers, clapping & cheering throughout isnít commonplace from a bunch of journalists and film critics.
uk.screengeeks.com - 4/5 stars
Quote:

So it happened, Avengers Assemble actually exists and the strangest factor in the film is that itís actually excellent. Whedon and his team have assembled to bring us one of the finest action/adventure films of the past few years. Like any movie in this genre, it has its flaws but when a film is this fun, do we care? The superhero genre just got kicked up a notch.
digitalspy.com - 4/5 stars
Quote:

Bringing superheroes together might have been a bad idea. All that chest puffing and portentous bluster could suck the oxygen out of the Earth's atmosphere. Thankfully writer-director Joss Whedon keeps things wonderfully bright and breezy, making a long film whizz by faster than a speeding bullet.