The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=167530)

Agent Richard07 March 23 2012 02:55 PM

The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Quote:

The series will focus on Korra, a teenage girl from the Southern Water Tribe and the current incarnation of the Avatar, who, according to the president of Nickelodeon, will be "hotheaded, independent, and ready to take on the world". She has already mastered Water, Earth, and Fire, but has yet to master Air. The character was partly inspired by Avatar Kyoshi of the original series, who the creators say was well-liked among fans. To avoid repetition of Aang's adventures, the show will be set in a single place, called Republic City, a steampunk metropolis inhabited by benders and non-benders of all nations and founded by Aang and Zuko after the 100-year world war of the original series. The city's police are Metalbenders (a subset of Earthbenders), taught their art by Toph Bei Fong of the original series, and led by her daughter. The city's most popular sport is pro-bending, which sets teams of benders against each other. The conflict of the first season will center upon a group of anti-benders, called the Equalists, who use chi-blocking to subdue their enemies. A concept drawing of the city, released with the announcement of the series, shows the city's design inspired by Shanghai in the 1920s and 1930s, Hong Kong, Manhattan, and Vancouver. In the show, Korra will learn Airbending from Tenzin, youngest child of Aang and Katara, and will contend with an anti-bender revolution in Republic City. - From Wikipedia
Quote:

Chris3123 wrote: (Post 6055012)
As a thanks for all the likes and shares via Facebook and Twitter, they are making the first two episodes available for online viewing on March 24 at Korra Nation! :techman:

Brikar99 March 23 2012 05:05 PM

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

So will it be an ongoing series, then? I thought when it was announced they said something like it would be just 12 episodes. (I could be way wrong)

OmahaStar March 23 2012 05:14 PM

Brikar, you're right. It was just 12 episodes originally, but it's changed since then.

Sindatur March 23 2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

OmahaStar wrote: (Post 6057418)
Brikar, you're right. It was just 12 episodes originally, but it's changed since then.

Yup, up to 26 episodes now, last I heard

Interesting the first batch/season will be called Book One: Air, following the Avatar: The Last Airbender format, I wasn't expecting that.

milo bloom March 23 2012 10:50 PM

Damn, I can't believe this is actually happening.

FordSVT March 24 2012 12:53 AM

The first episode was flippin' great. It's like they picked up right where the last one left off (decades later, of course). Same tone, same great voice work, humour, action... can't wait to see where the series goes.

Mr Light March 24 2012 03:36 AM

I only caught the original series on DVD after the fact, so I am dead excited to see the sequel live :D

Sindatur March 24 2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Mr Light wrote: (Post 6061624)
I only caught the original series on DVD after the fact, so I am dead excited to see the sequel live :D

Me too, I got S1 on 5 individual disks for $2 ea, and sought out the other 2 seasons because I had to. The First Series is so engaging, I can't wait to see what Korra Brings us. Really looking forward to Daniel Dae Kim's character :drool: Jin, Gavin Park, Corporal Chang, Lt. Matheson, Chin Ho, and so many other awesome characters he's played

CaptainCanada March 24 2012 03:58 AM

I liked the first episode. I think it's probably a stronger pilot than the original series had, though it feels like a mild letdown in the sense that it's coming after that series reached its prime. But that bodes well for the future.

zephramc March 24 2012 07:32 AM

Just watched it. Loved it. Excellent successor to the original.

Hound of UIster March 24 2012 07:44 AM

Theonethatis March 24 2012 08:05 AM

Really good. Love the 1920s feel.

Kestrel March 25 2012 02:33 AM

Man, the opener was fantastic! So great to see new adventures in this universe - so many familiar things and yet so different too!

Skywalker March 25 2012 07:01 AM

That was awesome. I had a smile on my face practically the whole time. I loved the original show so much, I'm just so happy that we're getting the chance to see more of this fantastic world. All of the characters seem pretty good so far. Korra's a nice change of pace from Aang, and Tenzin is great as the oft-frustrated mentor. Republic City is really cool; I love the mix of influences we saw in the pilot. And the pro-bending was pretty fun, too. I wonder if that's the only variation of it, or if they'll show other formats to change things up.

The series officially starts on April 14th, right? Can't wait! :D

Kestrel March 25 2012 07:04 AM

Oh, something else I forgot to mention: