The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Gaming (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Dragon Age 3 (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=167029)

clint g March 21 2012 01:26 PM

Dragon Age 3
 
Well, who didn't see this one coming?

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dragon-age-iii/1221093p1.html

Quote:

Original Story: BioWare wants your help. No, I'm not talking about your script for a revised ending to Mass Effect 3 (even though the studio would likely take a look at this point). I'm talking about Dragon Age 3. BioWare confirmed today that it is gearing up for its next Dragon Age installment, and it is actively seeking fan input on the direction the franchise should take.
Personally I would like them to go back and give me more of what Dragon Age: Origins offered. A more tactical-style RPG rather than the glorified hack-n-slash that was DA2. And yeah, more environments.



And endings that involve more than changing the colors of the explosions :borg:

Reverend March 21 2012 05:44 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
Actually, I thought the hacky-slashy combat was a huge improvement over DAO's. I could have done without the waves of enemies that appear out of thin air though. Perhaps somewhere in between?

The ending of DA2 was a problem too wasn't it? Though that was more a result of the multi year story structure that required three separate and largely unrelated endings leading to the same anticlimax.

As for what I'd like to see, I think playing as a Seeker recruit in Orlais this time around would be a good direction...though with the Mage-Templar war on it might be tricky justifying being able to play as a mage. Maybe the chantry offer sanctuary and/or amnesty for mages (even apostates) willing to serve as a Seeker. Taking a page from the Grey Warden rule book perhaps?

firehawk12 March 21 2012 07:50 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
Weird, because they also announced that there was a DA2 expansion pack that was cancelled (THERE WERE EVEN SHIRTS!). I guess they decided to just go into this game.

Of course, after ME3 and DA2, I'm probably out.

clint g March 21 2012 07:54 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
Yeah, I'm going to approached this game with caution myself. There was a time when I would purchase a BioWare game just because it was a BioWare game. Those days are pretty much over with.

PsychoPere March 21 2012 09:10 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
Although I still haven't found time to play the "Legacy" and "Mark of the Assassin" DLCs, I'm disappointed to hear that an expansion had been planned and was abandoned. I would've loved to have seen one of my Hawkes as a leading figure of the mage rebellion during an Exalted March.

Despite some disappointments (recycled environments, etc.), I enjoyed the majority of Dragon Age II quite a bit, so I'm eager to hear more about DA3 as development begins.

Reverend March 21 2012 10:00 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
DA2 certainly had much to recommend it and it was hardly the unmitigated disaster some like to pretend it was.

I know I'm probably in the minority with this view, but I thought the companions' story arcs were the "real" story being told and that whole mage/templar thing was just a backdrop. Perhaps that's less a to do with the way the companions were written and more to do with how disinterested I was with the main plot, but it was enough to get me to replay it three more times. Not a big fan of the DLC. Legacy was just one massively dull dungeon crawl topped off by a frustrating boss battle. Never did finish Mark of the Assassin.

clint g March 21 2012 11:25 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
Quote:

Reverend wrote: (Post 6045070)
DA2 certainly had much to recommend it and it was hardly the unmitigated disaster some like to pretend it was.

I know I'm probably in the minority with this view, but I thought the companions' story arcs were the "real" story being told and that whole mage/templar thing was just a backdrop. Perhaps that's less a to do with the way the companions were written and more to do with how disinterested I was with the main plot, but it was enough to get me to replay it three more times. Not a big fan of the DLC. Legacy was just one massively dull dungeon crawl topped off by a frustrating boss battle. Never did finish Mark of the Assassin.

The big issue with DA2 was that it was

a)Glitchy

and

b)Different from the first one


Now being different isn't necessarily a bad thing. I loved the story and how it was told differently from DA1. What I didn't like was the change to the gameplay. RPGs like DAO and KOTOR don't come around very often. Is it too much to ask that their be a franchise that keeps the elements that make those games fun? In the case of DA2, they felt that they could take a few pages from ME2 and apply them to DA2. While it didn't break the game, it took away some of what made DAO special.

firehawk12 March 21 2012 11:46 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
I think the more egregious problem was that, as someone described it, monsters seemed to time share caves and dungeons in Dragon Age 2.

Reverend March 22 2012 12:58 AM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
Quote:

clint g wrote: (Post 6045766)
Quote:

Reverend wrote: (Post 6045070)
DA2 certainly had much to recommend it and it was hardly the unmitigated disaster some like to pretend it was.

I know I'm probably in the minority with this view, but I thought the companions' story arcs were the "real" story being told and that whole mage/templar thing was just a backdrop. Perhaps that's less a to do with the way the companions were written and more to do with how disinterested I was with the main plot, but it was enough to get me to replay it three more times. Not a big fan of the DLC. Legacy was just one massively dull dungeon crawl topped off by a frustrating boss battle. Never did finish Mark of the Assassin.

The big issue with DA2 was that it was

a)Glitchy

^Uncontested.
Quote:

and

b)Different from the first one


Now being different isn't necessarily a bad thing. I loved the story and how it was told differently from DA1. What I didn't like was the change to the gameplay. RPGs like DAO and KOTOR don't come around very often. Is it too much to ask that their be a franchise that keeps the elements that make those games fun? In the case of DA2, they felt that they could take a few pages from ME2 and apply them to DA2. While it didn't break the game, it took away some of what made DAO special.
As with ME2, yes I think they went a little too far in stripping away/streamlining some of the classic RPG mechanics. However, Like also ME2 they got a lot right in this department too. I didn't miss having an inventory half full of crafting materials I'm never going to use, nor for that matter did I mind not being able to equip my companions with found armour and actually quite liked that they kept their iconic looks. Having said that, some more variety in the alternate appearances and the ability to pick which one they should wear would have been better.

clint g March 22 2012 02:43 AM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
I could live without the crafting, I really missed loading out my characters though :(

stonester1 March 22 2012 06:36 AM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
I LOVE both the games in this series, and hope they learn their lesson on what they did with ME3.

Skywalker March 22 2012 08:30 AM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
Honestly, aside from the boring, constantly recycled environments and the third act (where things kinda started to fall apart), I thought Dragon Age II was pretty damn good. I loved the first two acts, and really liked most of the companions. I thought the endless waves of enemies was a little cheesy, but overall combat was more fun for me in DA2 than it was in DAO.

ATimson March 22 2012 04:46 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
Quote:

Reverend wrote: (Post 6043117)
Actually, I thought the hacky-slashy combat was a huge improvement over DAO's. I could have done without the waves of enemies that appear out of thin air though. Perhaps somewhere in between?

The DLC did a better job with the waves - they at least didn't appear out of thin air.

Quote:

Reverend wrote: (Post 6043117)
The ending of DA2 was a problem too wasn't it?

I didn't think it was a problem at all, personally. The only complaint I have about the story is that it's horribly broken nonsense if you play a mage.

Reverend March 22 2012 09:32 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
Yeah and the fact that in act three, Meridith openly acknowledges that Hawk is quite blatantly an apostate only strained the credibility further. Hence my wondering how they might get around it if the next protagonist is with the Seekers.

As for the ending...I think my main beef was that it wasn't really an ending at all. It was a climax sure, but all we get is a line from future Varric that Hawk ran off, was abandoned by everyone save possibly <insert love interest here> and mysteriously vanished. Not much of a denouement. Of course it's all just because the ending's only real purpose was to set up the next big conflict for DA3 (the Mage-Templar War) but if you have to do that at the expense of the characters then that's just bad storytelling.

Not to go off topic and without getting into spoilers it's a similar problem as ME3's ending. Where all the characters get pushed aside because the writers decided that the plot *must* end at such-and-such a point. One might argue that it's more forgiveable in the case of DA2 because it has to lead into the plot of the next game, but I would argue that in DA2, the characters are more important than the plot and by neglecting them, the impact of the climax was...well, anti-climatic.

PsychoPere March 22 2012 10:25 PM

Re: Dragon Age 3
 
I was actually fine with the way DA2 ended. Hawke's story was how he/she impacted Kirkwall and played a role in the opening stages of the Mage Rebellion, and that story was told by the end of DA2. Allowing Hawke to mysteriously vanish didn't feel out-of-place to me.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.