The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Gaming (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   SimCity 5 on its way in 2013! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=163882)

Canadave February 29 2012 10:29 PM

SimCity 5 on its way in 2013!

Quote:

German gaming magazine GameStar (via Spanish games site Jimdo) spoke with Maxis developer Lucy Bradshaw, who confirmed SimCity 5 is in development at Maxis. She also noted that work on the Spore and The Sims franchises kept the developer from revealing SimCity 5 sooner.

The magazine suggests that the new entry will run on an all-new game engine called Glassbox, and will feature multiplayer support, updatable buildings, and non-linear road patterns.
Link

It's been way too long since we last had a proper entry in this franchise. I think I've worn SC4 down to the bone, so here's hoping SC5 is a worthy installment! :D :techman:

Steven March 1 2012 12:52 AM

Re: SimCity 5 on its way in 2013!

Sweet! Looking forward to this! :techman:

Thanks for the tip!

-Brett- March 1 2012 06:10 AM

I hope Maxis can redeem themselves after Spore.

Kronos March 1 2012 12:55 PM

Hopefully it abandons the path 'Societies' took, an unplayable wreck.

Cutter John March 1 2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

-Brett- wrote: (Post 5917882)
I hope Maxis can redeem themselves after Spore.

Personally I blame EA for what happened to Spore. It started out as a pretty interesting concept until the evil ones decided it needed to be more kid friendly.

TheGodBen March 1 2012 05:00 PM

I gave CitiesXL a shot recently and it's a reasonable substitute to SimCity, but the way that game handles plots is a right pain. A proper SimCity game would be most welcome.

Alidar Jarok March 1 2012 05:45 PM

Yeah, it could be fun. They need to approach it as a real SimCity game, though, not as something similar to SimSocieties.

Canadave March 1 2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

TheGodBen wrote: (Post 5919793)
I gave CitiesXL a shot recently and it's a reasonable substitute to SimCity, but the way that game handles plots is a right pain. A proper SimCity game would be most welcome.

I've played XL too, and it just isn't as compelling as SimCity for some reason. I just plop stuff down, and then it looks pretty. It never really feels like I'm building anything.

Cutter John March 2 2012 01:07 AM

Tho personally I preferred Sierra's old Pharaoh and Caesar games. All the fun of city building, with the extra bonus of having to gather resources and fight off barbarians. :)

FPAlpha March 3 2012 07:10 PM

:( :( :(

There goes my private life for weeks.. in this case i'm lucky i don't have a gf currently because i'd become single shortly after.

Sim City is one of the games i grew up with and i'm very happy to hear we're getting a state of the art Sim City to play.. definitely looking forward to it and if the reviews are not devastatingly bad i'll pre-order as soon as possible.

Mr. B March 3 2012 07:56 PM

I want to have high hopes for this, but between EA having their nose in it and the Sim City Societies debacle, I fear I'd be setting myself up for severe disappointment. I hope I'm surprised.

Smellincoffee March 6 2012 02:53 PM

Steam drove me away from contemporary PC games, but SimCity 5 may bring me back. I'm still playing SimCity 3000. :lol:

FordSVT March 7 2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Smellincoffee wrote: (Post 5947999)
Steam drove me away from contemporary PC games,

I think you may be the only person in existence I've heard utter those words. Most people consider Steam to be the saviour of PC gaming.

Smellincoffee March 7 2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

FordSVT wrote: (Post 5952916)
Quote:

I think you may be the only person in existence I've heard utter those words. Most people consider Steam to be the saviour of PC gaming.

Nah, there's a few anti-Steam people over at CivFanatics. I don't like having to install third-party software, I don't like having to interact with the internet to activate or play a game, and I despise the new service model developers are so fond of.

Kronos March 8 2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Smellincoffee wrote: (Post 5956651)
Quote:

FordSVT wrote: (Post 5952916)
Quote:

Nah, there's a few anti-Steam people over at CivFanatics. I don't like having to install third-party software, I don't like having to interact with the internet to activate or play a game, and I despise the new service model developers are so fond of.

Agreed, especially the internet part, I use cracks for games I get from Steam just to avoid them.

SimCity 5 (or just SimCity) trailer
http://mashable.com/2012/03/07/simcity-5-2013-launch/