The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Death and Return of Superman... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=161896)

Satyrquaze February 15 2012 03:35 PM

The Death and Return of Superman...
 
I came across this video and thought it was great! You may haev already seen it, but in case you haven't yet... do it now!

Quote:

A somewhat-mostly-accurate educational parody film by Max Landis, Produced by Bryan Basham @bryan_basham
Starring Elden Henson, Elijah Wood, Mandy Moore, Morgan Krantz and many more.
Be aware, its about 15 minutes long and has the F-word in it... (A Lot) but, otherwise: Enjoy!



Keep your eyes open for some funny and surprising cameos.

Admiral2 February 16 2012 12:52 AM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Max Landis rules. Him and his dad.


That was f***ing hilarious!

Gaith February 16 2012 02:07 AM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Crap like that is why I've got no interest in getting into superhero comics; they're just too damn convoluted and/or (usually "and") stupid. I wish they'd be more like the movies they inspire: do series of connected stories, and, when the load of continuity/melodrama threatens to become too heavy, end it, and start with a new take on the character(s). Not saying you must fully reboot to an origin story every time, but don't get too bogged down in the past, either (or fail to honor it by giving everyone selective amnesia to suit the story at hand).

Example: I'd happily read an X-Men series in which Jean Grey dies and becomes the Pheonix. But an open-ended run in which she keeps appearing, dying, appearing, dying? No, thanks.

Even the greatest of characters lose a certain spark if you follow them for the too long, as they either mature enough to become boring, fail to mature to such a degree that they become stupid (and thus annoying), or are subjected to so much drama that they lose any credibility as coherent characters, or some combination thereof.

Beagleman February 16 2012 11:18 AM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
That was awesome!:lol:

Quote:

Gaith wrote: (Post 5827951)
Crap like that is why I've got no interest in getting into superhero comics.

Aaand this!

Guy Gardener May 26 2013 02:20 PM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Is Mandy Moore my new favourite Lois lane Actress?

Could be.

:)

M'rk, son of Mogh May 26 2013 05:52 PM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Max Landis is hilarious! That was good.

Quote:

Gaith wrote: (Post 5827951)
Crap like that is why I've got no interest in getting into superhero comics;

And this is why I still love them! All the history to draw on if the writers choose to makes it a satisfying experience for those that have been there for the long haul.

But it really depends on the writer. It seems these days a new creative team to a long running title means a fairly fresh start where they use the history they want to and just don't mention what they want to leave behind.

FreezeC77 May 27 2013 04:52 PM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Obviously Superman wasn't ever going to stay dead. Anyone who thought that then was a complete and utter moron. It would be DC throwing money into the trash to permanently erase that character.


It's also one of the biggest reasons why I'm never able to be interested in open-ended comics for any long periods of time. Eventually I feel more and more how irrelevant the experience is because nothing substantial is ever going to occur that can't be retconned (and usually is).

Comics are basically soap operas for boys (apologies to female readers, but for 99% of American comics you're not a target demo). Soap operas kills major characters and then find ways to rewrite their deaths and bring them back again because the shows have no end-game. They just exist for as long as the network allows them to exist.

It's why the comics I prefer are usually the shorter series non-mainstream comics or Japanese and Korean. Comics with an actual ending to them.

Even when you get a great writer on an American comic having an awesome run you know eventually they're going to leave and the next guy who comes in can pretty much cancel out everything that great writer did.

USS Firefly May 27 2013 05:57 PM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Quote:

Soap operas kills major characters and then find ways to rewrite their deaths and bring them back again because the shows have no end-game. They just exist for as long as the network allows them to exist.
That's why I was a little bit disapointed with thet return of Data and Janeway.

Guy Gardener May 27 2013 08:17 PM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Comicbook readers weren't surprised.

It was the ORDINARY people.

10 years after the fact, this fricking tourist walks into the shop I was working in like a bigshot and asks me how much I'd give him for his premium foil, still sealed bagged copy of the Death of Superman?

"You haven't read it" I ask?

"This was an an investment, I paid 70 dollars for it... How much is it worth now?" He says.

I think about the universe and reply "40 cents."

The fucker just walked away from our conversation like I was the asshole.

M'rk, son of Mogh May 28 2013 03:58 AM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Quote:

USS Firefly wrote: (Post 8161372)
Quote:

Soap operas kills major characters and then find ways to rewrite their deaths and bring them back again because the shows have no end-game. They just exist for as long as the network allows them to exist.
That's why I was a little bit disapointed with thet return of Data and Janeway.

And Spock. And Tasha Yar. And... oh, wait, previous posts say only comics and soap operas do this.
I take this back. :rolleyes:

Gaith May 28 2013 04:26 AM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
^ It's one thing to occasionally bring a dead character back; it's quite another for any one character to die and return so many times that fans crack jokes about their current status, and how long it'll last.

Dream May 28 2013 05:30 AM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Superman wasn't dead, he was just in a coma. :)

Guy Gardener May 28 2013 05:44 AM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Quote:

Gaith wrote: (Post 8163847)
^ It's one thing to occasionally bring a dead character back; it's quite another for any one character to die and return so many times that fans crack jokes about their current status, and how long it'll last.

Would you say that Jean Grey is back from the dead because of that time travelling child running around with her face, or is Marvel just delaying the inevitable climax with a quick tug and tickle?

theenglish May 28 2013 06:10 AM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
Quote:

Guy Gardener wrote: (Post 8161891)
Comicbook readers weren't surprised.

It was the ORDINARY people.

10 years after the fact, this fricking tourist walks into the shop I was working in like a bigshot and asks me how much I'd give him for his premium foil, still sealed bagged copy of the Death of Superman?

"You haven't read it" I ask?

"This was an an investment, I paid 70 dollars for it... How much is it worth now?" He says.

I think about the universe and reply "40 cents."

The fucker just walked away from our conversation like I was the asshole.

I WAS surprised by how quickly he returned though. Each of the Supermen had one issue before he returned sitting in his black suit in his fortress of solitude. It would have been nice if DC had carried out the storyline for a year or so before Superman returned.

And Superman wasn't just in a coma that he would have snapped out of eventually. Didn't the Eradicator play a role in that?

Guy Gardener May 28 2013 06:37 AM

Re: The Death and Return of Superman...
 
There was a tomb.

The Eradicator borrowed in underneath and took the body.

Wikipedia says Kal came back in the 4th books of the Reign of Supermen.

3 months used to be a long time, but they say the complete event was from October 92 to October 93.

4 months to kill superman.

4 months with the bugger dead.

and...

4 months saving the world from Hensaw and Mongul.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.