The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   BUFFY: Season 2 and 3 comics? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=161797)

ReadyAndWilling February 14 2012 05:52 PM

BUFFY: Season 2 and 3 comics?

hey guys, i really love seasons 2 and 3 of Buffy. the setting of the high school is just so great and all the episodes are worthwhile in their own way. i was just wondering if joss or anyone from his crew ever wrote stories from this era that weren't apart of the tv show? i know there were comics set between season 3 and 4, but i don't know of anything for S2 and S3.

saturn5 February 15 2012 01:48 PM

Re: BUFFY: Season 2 and 3 comics?

The Buffy magazine did have a comic strip set in that period. The official Buffy comics pretty much stuck with the pre-Sunnydale era

Christopher February 15 2012 02:42 PM

There were a bunch of Dark Horse comics set during the series, many of which (particularly those by Christopher Golden) were well-received, but they weren't written/overseen by Whedon and are non-canonical. (Also there were plenty of non-canonical prose novels by various authors, also including Golden.)

ReadyAndWilling February 15 2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 5824438)
There were a bunch of Dark Horse comics set during the series, many of which (particularly those by Christopher Golden) were well-received, but they weren't written/overseen by Whedon and are non-canonical. (Also there were plenty of non-canonical prose novels by various authors, also including Golden.)

ok, thanks.

do you know where i could look at a list?

PsychoPere February 15 2012 10:21 PM

You can see a list right here.

ReadyAndWilling February 16 2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

PsychoPere wrote: (Post 5826469)
You can see a list right here.

great, thanks. i'm reading through the list now. any one in particular you can recommend? seems like the show had so much potential in S2-S3.

PsychoPere February 17 2012 04:23 AM

The only ones that I've read were collected in Ombius Volume 1, all of which I thought were pretty good. "The Origin" is especially fun, as it was intended to more accurately reflect Joss's original movie script than the filmed movie did*. "Slayer, Interrupted" calls back to season 6's "Normal Again," by featuring Buffy in a mental asylum shortly before the move from LA to Sunnydale. "All's Fair" was a fun Spike and Drusilla story at the 1933 World's Fair.

(* Joss has even referred to this one as being "pretty much" canon.)

Stevil2001 February 17 2012 04:34 AM

The Omnibus books, which collect the whole run of comics chronologically, are pretty much the way to go. If you get Volumes 3 and 4, you'll have all the comics set during Season Three.