The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Voyager in your comics pages today (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=160519)

Cartoonist February 5 2012 11:02 PM

Voyager in your comics pages today

If your paper carries my strip "Candorville" (or if you read it online), you may find yourself in today's edition. I know I'm giving away the punchline simply by posting it here, but there's no avoiding that:

http://candorville.com/comics/2012-02-05-comingout.jpg

Like a lot of Trek fans my age, I loathed Voyager with a passion when it first ran. I nitpicked it to death every week on this very forum. I hated the reset button, the magically-clean ship, the miraculous shuttle bays, Neelix, the Kazon, the shift from an ensemble feeling to "The Doctor and Seven of Nine Show." And compared to DS9, I thought it was utterly unrealistic and two dimensional.

Then almost a decade went by. I watched DS9 all the way through three times on DVD. When I signed up for Netflix, I watched B5, then TOS, TNG, and DS9 (again). Then Doctor Who, Torchwood, Farscape... anything and everything to keep from watching Voyager. Finally I ran out of stuff to Netflix. So just to remind myself how awful it was, I began watching Voyager. Pretty soon, I started to wonder what this show was and what had it done with the Voyager I remembered? It was actually... good (with the exception of Threshold (which was even worse than I'd remembered).

I don't know... maybe it's age. Maybe VOY is more suited for people in their thirties, people who've been through hell already and held on to who they were. Because in my twenties, I thought the Equinox crew was far more realistic. But now, VOY sticking to its Starfleet principles, and putting effort into keeping the ship and their uniforms spotless seems a lot more understandable to me. I don't find it quite so hard to believe anymore that these people could spend time playing around on the holodeck, or that they could build replacement shuttles so quickly, considering they have to have something to do to take their minds off the fact they're marooned on the other side of the galaxy. In the last ten years, I've found that I can get almost a superhuman amount of work done in no time when I'm distracting myself from the everyday horrors of growing older (aging parents, dying grandparents, possibly-receding hairlines).

Even Endgame, which previously made me want to shoot my TV and set it on fire, was exciting this time around. So damn exciting.

Maybe it's not age, maybe it's simply that Trek's been off the air for a while now, and so this time around, it felt a lot fresher. Or maybe it's because this time around, I watched it without also reading (and crafting my own) negative, nitpicky essays about every little thing that could've been done better or differently.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad I gave it another chance. Maybe once ten years go by, I'll try watching "Nemesis" again. ...or maybe that's going too far.

Sandoval February 5 2012 11:03 PM

Re: Voyager in your comics pages today

Is that cartoon meant to be funny?

Cartoonist February 6 2012 12:17 AM

I'd prefer my hecklers to be more original, but nice try.

JanewayRulz! February 6 2012 12:42 AM

Hello... my name is JanewayRulz!... and I AM a Voyager! :p

Hey, Cartoonist, I liked your strip AND thought it was funny. :lol:

I also liked your epiphany on why Voyager was better this time around. Same show, different "audience". Nice summary. :bolian:

teacake February 6 2012 02:12 AM

Cartoonist thanks for your wonderful strip and your great little confession! I enjoyed them both very much. The strip amused me because I too have had many fandom epiphanies and there's no one to actually reveal this to IRL. "Is that the show with R2D2?" etc..

I'm glad you enjoyed Voyager, it's pretty cool to actually get brand new Trek isn't it? I had a similar experience with Enterprise, bored watching it on tv I abandoned it. Finally out of completist impulses I watched it on dvd in my own time some years after it was over. I remember a few times in Season 4 thinking "omg this is some of the BEST TREK I've ever seen.." humbling and also just so wonderful to get new Trek again. I think I'm more tolerant the older I get and more likely to look for what is really good in a show and ignore the rest. I like this universe (Trek) and I can enjoy all it's variety.

And heh.. maybe I should not rewatch Bab5 again and actually get around to watching BuBSG for the first time.

Anyway thanks for sharing :bolian:

JanewayRulz! February 6 2012 03:51 AM

YES... you SHOULD watch NuBSG, teacake.

Nuff said.

Draculasaurus February 6 2012 04:18 AM

Nice!
Well done Cartoonist.

teacake February 6 2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

JanewayRulz! wrote: (Post 5758267)
YES... you SHOULD watch NuBSG, teacake.

Nuff said.

But J Michael Straczynski, Bruce Boxleitner, Mira Furlan and Patricia Tallman are all coming to a Melbourne con in October! Doesn't this mean I must now rewatch all of Bab5?

Maybe I could give up some other activity so I can fit more sci fi shows in.

Cartoonist February 6 2012 05:47 AM

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked it.

Cartoonist February 6 2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 5757736)
Cartoonist thanks for your wonderful strip and your great little confession! I enjoyed them both very much. The strip amused me because I too have had many fandom epiphanies and there's no one to actually reveal this to IRL. "Is that the show with R2D2?" etc..

I'm glad you enjoyed Voyager, it's pretty cool to actually get brand new Trek isn't it? I had a similar experience with Enterprise, bored watching it on tv I abandoned it. Finally out of completist impulses I watched it on dvd in my own time some years after it was over. I remember a few times in Season 4 thinking "omg this is some of the BEST TREK I've ever seen.." humbling and also just so wonderful to get new Trek again. I think I'm more tolerant the older I get and more likely to look for what is really good in a show and ignore the rest. I like this universe (Trek) and I can enjoy all it's variety.

And heh.. maybe I should not rewatch Bab5 again and actually get around to watching BuBSG for the first time.

Anyway thanks for sharing :bolian:

Something you said really struck a cord with me: it was nice to get new Trek again. It's not that the show changed, it's that I'm a different person than I was the last time around, so I perceived it differently. Maybe I'll give ENT another look too and hope I get surprised again.

Therin of Andor February 6 2012 07:42 AM

I smirked. ;)

Chuckling February 6 2012 08:43 AM

I laughed. Maybe I'm shallow but hey...keep the T-shirt and find a new girlfriend! Or better yet mio, educate her! :bolian:

Anybody got any suggestions as to how it should be done?

Chuckling :lol:

kimc February 6 2012 05:07 PM

Great cartoon and I liked your musings on why Voyager was better for you the second time around. :)

The Wormhole February 6 2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Cartoonist wrote: (Post 5756758)
Even Endgame, which previously made me want to shoot my TV and set it on fire, was exciting this time around. So damn exciting.

Endgame isn't exactly the best series finale out there, but I am less harsh about it than I was the first time it aired. At least it actually is a series finale and gave its cast a proper final adventure. Unlike a certain other series finale...

CoffeeAddict February 6 2012 08:22 PM

Thanks for sharing this, Cartoonist. I enjoyed it. :)