The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I can never decide which episode to watch (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=160405)

Mr_Homn February 5 2012 03:36 AM

I can never decide which episode to watch
 
then i end up wasting a bunch of time trying to decide and end up not watching one. i need to figure out a system.

how do you decide which episode to watch?

Botany Bay February 5 2012 04:12 AM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
We work our way through by one of these ways :

Airdate
Reverse airdate
Production

Therin of Andor February 5 2012 04:44 AM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
Lucky dip.

Or follow a theme, ie. all Andorian eps, or visits by relatives, or first contact stories.

Enterprise is Great February 5 2012 05:26 AM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
I know which episodes are my favorites and I pick from that mental list I have. I'll grab a season at random and then I know which ones to watch from that season.

Terran_Empire February 5 2012 06:44 AM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 5753008)
Lucky dip.

Or follow a theme, ie. all Andorian eps, or visits by relatives, or first contact stories.

I agree in the categorization approach. Ship battles, search and rescue, mysterious anomalies.

A.V.I.A.F. February 5 2012 06:49 AM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
I ask my wife.

Esteban February 5 2012 07:10 AM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
Since I have seen every episode an average of 40 times, I try to pick the ones on the low side of average.

This means, of course, I find myself often in the 3rd Season of late.

So, if you are in need of sleep, give my plan a try. Nothing like "The Empath" to induce rest. Still awake? Try "Mark of Gideon" or "The Cloud Minders". "Lights of Zetar" would otherwise work, but I'm such a huge Jimmy Doohan fan.

Ssosmcin February 6 2012 05:09 PM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
Depends on my mood. Sometimes I want a Kirk-heavy, very serious episode so I'll go with an early first seasoner. Other times, I want to relax with an episode where everyone is comfortable and friendly, so mid-second season gets a pick. Then there are times I want a dead serious, but over the top episode with spooky overtones. Third season ahoy! Within those parameters, I make more choices:

Space or planet?

Climax with phasers, speeches or a fistfight?

Episode I've seen a million times in three years or one I haven't totally worn out?

Am I in the mood for a less- than-good episode?

Do I want the new effects, the BD or DVDs? Or the old laserdisc prints?

This all sounds complicated, but making these choices at the speed of thought isn't so long. These things make up my moods.

Other times I'll just grab and DVD and pop it in and just hit play.

Mr_Homn February 6 2012 06:58 PM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
Quote:

Esteban wrote: (Post 5753437)
Since I have seen every episode an average of 40 times, I try to pick the ones on the low side of average.

This means, of course, I find myself often in the 3rd Season of late.

So, if you are in need of sleep, give my plan a try. Nothing like "The Empath" to induce rest. Still awake? Try "Mark of Gideon" or "The Cloud Minders". "Lights of Zetar" would otherwise work, but I'm such a huge Jimmy Doohan fan.

Yeah this is a problem, season 3 is also my least worn out, so i tend to watch it more, but of course when I try to watch season 3 I can only make it through 1 or 2 episodes and it usually leaves a "lacking" taste in my mouth, and end up wishing i watched season 1 or 2, but i know those too damn well!

I wish there were more episodes.

At least when they re-re-re-release them in Ultra 3d Smell-o-vision everything will seem new again

MacLeod February 6 2012 11:53 PM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
i know the feeling, not just with Trek, but when I fancy a DVD/BR I can't decide which one.

StevenR February 7 2012 12:07 AM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
Make it a theme night.

Monday: Spisodes where Kirk talks a computer to death.
Tuesday: Someone dies and is revived by the end of the episode.
Wednesday: Kirk tells some native culture their god is a lie. Thursday: Chekov screams.
Friday: Redshirt = Deadshirt
Saturday: Someone a main character knows ends up dead.
Sunday: Love and/or Revenge is in the air.

Valin February 7 2012 01:03 AM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 5753008)

Or follow a theme, ie. all Andorian eps, or visits by relatives, or first contact stories.


The first two would make very short themes. There's only one Andorian episode and only one visit by relative episode (and they're the same one).

Kalontas February 7 2012 06:12 PM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
Quote:

StevenR wrote: (Post 5765680)
Make it a theme night.

Monday: Spisodes where Kirk talks a computer to death.
Tuesday: Someone dies and is revived by the end of the episode.
Wednesday: Kirk tells some native culture their god is a lie. Thursday: Chekov screams.
Friday: Redshirt = Deadshirt
Saturday: Someone a main character knows ends up dead.
Sunday: Love and/or Revenge is in the air.

I'm afraid that would give you only four mondays and a whooole lot of fridays!

I'm so far watching tOS for the first time, so I'm proceeding via air date. At the first half of season 2 right now.

Sindatur February 7 2012 08:18 PM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
I've never been any good at just picking an episode and watching and being satisfied (with any Show). Once I watch an episode, I start thinking about all the great episodes (And arc points, in arc'ed Series) in the Series, and want to keep on watching. So, when I feel in the mood to watch something, I just go for the first episode, and watch straight through (Of course, for those who know the series well enough and what episodes they can't stand, they can simply skip those episodes they don't like)

Bones_McCoy21 February 8 2012 02:13 AM

Re: I can never decide which episode to watch
 
Quote:

Kalontas wrote: (Post 5771485)
Quote:

StevenR wrote: (Post 5765680)
Make it a theme night.

Monday: Spisodes where Kirk talks a computer to death.
Tuesday: Someone dies and is revived by the end of the episode.
Wednesday: Kirk tells some native culture their god is a lie. Thursday: Chekov screams.
Friday: Redshirt = Deadshirt
Saturday: Someone a main character knows ends up dead.
Sunday: Love and/or Revenge is in the air.

I'm afraid that would give you only four mondays and a whooole lot of fridays!

I'm so far watching tOS for the first time, so I'm proceeding via air date. At the first half of season 2 right now.

Love the week plan. You would also get a whole lot of sundays too. Be wary of the 3rd season. My mom and I agree that the 2nd season is the best. The 3red season however in my opinion and my freinds SUCKS on soooo many levels. It's hard to find an episode where somebody doesn't kiss sopomebody.:borg:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.