The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=159370)

RAMA January 28 2012 07:39 PM

The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

I figured with people seeing it in the UK the time has come to set up the review thread for the Next Level sampler.

I'll refrain till Tuesday, but have at it you lucky few.

RAMA

Dac January 28 2012 07:41 PM

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

*Walks in. Breathes deep*

Aaah, that new Thread smell. Hopefully discussions about windows will be kept to a minimum ;)

RAMA January 28 2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Dac wrote: (Post 5697790)
*Walks in. Breathes deep*

Aaah, that new Thread smell. Hopefully discussions about windows will be kept to a minimum ;)

Needless to say, SPOILER ALERT! :lol:

Apparently people who got them at DeepDiscountDVD also got their blurays early..

RAMA

22 Stars January 29 2012 01:01 AM

Good to see you guys here! I'm still waiting along with ya for Tuesday I guess...

RAMA January 29 2012 07:13 AM

The carpet's still clean...where are our UK people?

Dac January 29 2012 01:56 PM

I'm UK. No mail on Sunday though, so It'll probably come tomorrow.

StalwartUK January 29 2012 02:08 PM

Reposts from the other thread:

Quote:

Just saw all the episodes (I preordered from Play.com too) and I have to say the work they've done is nothing short of impressive. It'll be very difficult to go back to watching the DVDs after this.

If the entire series is of the same quality I don't think we have much to be worried about.

One thing I did find distracting was during the intro sequence when the ringed planet passes by the stars in the background move in two different patterns. I hope they fix that when they start releasing the rest of the series.

Speaking of the intro I thought it was nothing short of amazing. I never realized there was so much detail.
Quote:

That was the one. I read about it once but I never noticed it on the low-res DVDs. In HD the individual stars are much easier to see.

For me it's the only fault in an otherwise flawless sequence. If it was there originally I understand and respect their views. If they're going to the trouble of fixing some other faults (like the energy beam in the pilot) something like this seems almost trivial. Just mask the old starfield behind the rings more should do the trick.
Not bad at all. And we get the option of a 5 mail-in rebate off the price of the Season 1 blu-ray set.

LOKAI of CHERON January 29 2012 11:30 PM

I'll be outside my local HMV at 09:00 hours tomorrow! A friend and I have set aside the day just to watch this disc.

Angel4576 January 29 2012 11:36 PM

Well mine's on its way so I'm hoping it'll be here waiting for me when I get back from work. Cannot. Wait.

WalkerBait January 30 2012 04:52 AM

Yeah... not going to be a lot of discussion here until the S1 set comes out. ;)

RAMA January 30 2012 04:55 AM

This is specifically for the 3 episode sampler, the regular season discs should get their own thread.

DostoyevskyClone January 30 2012 07:30 AM

I plan on making some comments in this thread after watching each episode on Tuesday. :techman: If this thread blows up with activity, I still think we should do a separate poll thread on things like 'Your overall reaction to the updated special effects' and perhaps grading (again, via poll) groups of special effect shots (i.e. Farpoint aliens, saucer separation, Q Net, etc.)

I mean, it's not like we're going to have THAT much to do for the next 6+ months waiting for the release of season 1! ;)

Edit: I'll likely make a set of polls by Wednesday or Thursday if there is a decent interest in this thread. I did a ton of polls back in the day, and they're just a lot of fun.

davejames January 30 2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

DostoyevskyClone wrote: (Post 5708014)
I plan on making some comments in this thread after watching each episode on Tuesday. :techman: If this thread blows up with activity, I still think we should do a separate poll thread on things like 'Your overall reaction to the updated special effects' and perhaps grading (again, via poll) groups of special effect shots (i.e. Farpoint aliens, saucer separation, Q Net, etc.)

Agreed. Keeping everything confined to one thread doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, considering we have this entire forum to use.

Especially since this is what most of the TNG talk is going to be about for awhile. :)

LOKAI of CHERON January 30 2012 11:00 AM

Just got back from the city centre - and - HMV kindly informed me they won't be stocking this product in store! WTF - this a large HMV unit in a fair sized city! I'm so pissed off right now, I was really looking forward to watching TNG HD today. I've placed an order with an online retailer, but honestly, how very, very, disappointing.

Mitty January 30 2012 11:50 AM

Sorry to barge in on this thread, but does anybody know if/when this is likely to be released in Australia?